Pigs Ears

Guest Labradork

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kuma gets pigs ears - he's not a chewer so he can take weeks to get through one, and usually I throw it out before it gets too small. He won't chew bones, he just licks all the meat off and then leaves them to go manky in the yard. So, in consultation with our vet, it was decided that chewing on the dentasticks and pigs ears a bit more regularly would be better for his teeth than not chewing anything.

It takes a very long while for Charlie and Emmy to get through 1 pig ear together. We are taking about weeks here. I use to give them 1 each but they always end up sharing one (Charlie will have it first, then Emmy will take it when Charlie doesn't want it anymore, then Charlie will get it back again when Emmy is bored with it).

They love deer antler bone though... they can spend hours with them.

Guest Labradork

Thanks all! Some really interesting comments there!

Deer antler bone - I have never seen that before! Where do you get those?

I have seen the Roo tail at PETstock... unfortunately I can tell just by looking at it that it's something my boy would choke on. Ahhh Labs!

We've done the big marrow bones from the butcher before, which almost last *too* long. Also, the fat/marrow tends to affect their guts.

I've been interested in trying chicken necks etc., but worried about giving them a go for fear of choking as well...

The roo/emu/chicken "kabana" sticks are great but these disappear within seconds.

Perhaps there is no right answer here :love:

I give my dogs pig ears from the bow wow brand (at coles). I was happy with the ingredient list and my lot love them. I also have fresh pig ears which they don't seem to like. How do I dry them? I tried putting them in the sun and it gave off a terrible smell.

I'm pretty sure the bow wow ones are from cina. I get baked ones from pet stock that are locally produced. Given the dramas with chinese made treats over the last few years I wouldn't feed my o/s treats to my dogs.

Um, thanks for that bit of info. Ive tried australian pig ears from petbarn n the local vet but my fussy one doesn't like anything other than the bow wow ones. As for the overseas products...the kibble is from the US, the canned from thailand, so I really don't care if the ears are from china or not. Im not fussed about source, but that's just me :love:

Perhaps there is no right answer here :D

Yup, depends on the dog. Sounds like you'd like something to occupy them for a while as well. Other than marrow bones (which you've tried), I only know 1 other thing (that's natural): coconut. Those drinking ones (white) you find in supermarkets. They're from Thailand, but 100% natural fruit. I drank the water & gave the whole thing to my boy. Kept him busy for a while (could've lasted hours but I confiscated it before it got stale). It's messy so keep it in the backyard (was inside in our case :shrug:). He gnaw the husk & carved the flesh clean, all while rolling it around.

Keep it mind that my boy is a power chewer. A gentler dog might not like it at all. We checked whether it's harmful - it's not - but his stool was a bit slimy :eek: after (not bad but different).

Pigs ears used to last half an hour - now its a three minute job. We've never had choking luckily. We did have choking with the sticks, whatever they were made of, I think they were dried - as a puppy Max swallowed almost 10 cm of one, which caused some trouble going down. The noises he made :shrug: . But he was fine afterwards (despite my worst nightmares).

The only other thing I can think of that we give him to keep him somewhat occupied is a soft-boiled egg, with just a bit of the shell taken off. It takes him a while to peel it, then get the yolk out, then work on the whites for a bit. Definitely an outside treat. It would depend on how the dog works on it - if they just chomp it it'll be gone in secs!

Thanks all! Some really interesting comments there!

Deer antler bone - I have never seen that before! Where do you get those?

I have seen the Roo tail at PETstock... unfortunately I can tell just by looking at it that it's something my boy would choke on. Ahhh Labs!

We've done the big marrow bones from the butcher before, which almost last *too* long. Also, the fat/marrow tends to affect their guts.

I've been interested in trying chicken necks etc., but worried about giving them a go for fear of choking as well...

The roo/emu/chicken "kabana" sticks are great but these disappear within seconds.

Perhaps there is no right answer here :eek:

*Waves at fellow Lab owner*

When I first brought Ruby home, her first pigs ear lasted almost 2 weeks! Now it's lucky to last 2 minutes! :shrug: I do give them to her as a very occasional treat. She loves deer ears too, but again, about 2 minutes :D A forum member on here, Sway, sells deer antler bones on her website for a very reasonable price. Ruby chews on hers for a little while each night, but doesn't seem to love it as much as I thought she would. She enjoys her Nylabone too.

I haven't ever given Ruby a roo tail (I assume you mean the dried ones?) since they look a bit scary to me. She does get rawhide chews from Petbarn every now and then though (about once a week). When she was younger, the rolled ones would last a couple of weeks! :eek:

How old is your doglet? I used to give Ruby chicken necks when she was little, but not for much longer than that. Lamb shanks are Ruby's (and my :rofl: ) bone of choice :D I actually gave Roo half of a half of a marrow bone today, but scooped just about all of the marrow out first.

I give my dogs pig ears from the bow wow brand (at coles). I was happy with the ingredient list and my lot love them. I also have fresh pig ears which they don't seem to like. How do I dry them? I tried putting them in the sun and it gave off a terrible smell.

I'm pretty sure the bow wow ones are from cina. I get baked ones from pet stock that are locally produced. Given the dramas with chinese made treats over the last few years I wouldn't feed my o/s treats to my dogs.

Um, thanks for that bit of info. Ive tried australian pig ears from petbarn n the local vet but my fussy one doesn't like anything other than the bow wow ones. As for the overseas products...the kibble is from the US, the canned from thailand, so I really don't care if the ears are from china or not. Im not fussed about source, but that's just me :thumbsup:

The difference though is that there are many dry food options that are not subject to irradiation, but very few pig's ears (or similar). That's why we stock Australian made ears.

Labradork... how about turkey necks? Much bigger and there are both fresh and dried versions around.

Sags

:love:

Um, thanks for that bit of info. Ive tried australian pig ears from petbarn n the local vet but my fussy one doesn't like anything other than the bow wow ones. As for the overseas products...the kibble is from the US, the canned from thailand, so I really don't care if the ears are from china or not. Im not fussed about source, but that's just me :thumbsup:

EAch to their own. The reason I won't buy them is because there have been numerous cases of dogs getting very sick both here and O/S from eating pet food sourced from China. Something about adding melamine (sp) to them. You have to remember that the QA standard for pet food are a lot lower than human food.

The first time I fed my dogs O/S pigs ears my boy landed up being hospitalised (he could barely walk and couldn't even hold down a sip of water). Maybe it was just a big coincidence but I'll never feed them again.

Guest Labradork
*Waves at fellow Lab owner*

When I first brought Ruby home, her first pigs ear lasted almost 2 weeks! Now it's lucky to last 2 minutes! :) I do give them to her as a very occasional treat. She loves deer ears too, but again, about 2 minutes :D A forum member on here, Sway, sells deer antler bones on her website for a very reasonable price. Ruby chews on hers for a little while each night, but doesn't seem to love it as much as I thought she would. She enjoys her Nylabone too.

I haven't ever given Ruby a roo tail (I assume you mean the dried ones?) since they look a bit scary to me. She does get rawhide chews from Petbarn every now and then though (about once a week). When she was younger, the rolled ones would last a couple of weeks! :laugh:

How old is your doglet? I used to give Ruby chicken necks when she was little, but not for much longer than that. Lamb shanks are Ruby's (and my :) ) bone of choice ;) I actually gave Roo half of a half of a marrow bone today, but scooped just about all of the marrow out first.

Hi Lilli Star!

Thanks for the heads up on the deer antler bones. I'll check that out. I'm fascinated!

The roo tails look a little scary to me as well. The rolled rawhide chews are good for a little while with my boys, but we find that they unroll them and they effectively become big long strips which resemble the pigs ears when they start to choke on them!

My Labbies are 6 months and 2 years, although both still very much young pups mentally... true to Lab form ;) Lamb shanks sound like a very special treat, we might have to check those out. I like the idea of scooping the marrow out of the big bones - I find that plus the fat caused a bit of diarrhoea.

PS. I love your word "doglet" and am going to steal it with pride :laugh:

Labradork... how about turkey necks? Much bigger and there are both fresh and dried versions around.

Sags

:D

Hey Sags :)

Had not considered turkey necks!! I'll have to find somewhere that supplies them... perhaps we need to discover some new butchers! Apparently there are ones out there which cater to meat for pets. (I nearly wrote "pet meat", realising how wrong that sounded!!!) :o

Thanks for the hot tip.

How long does a deer antler bone tend to last? They are rather pricey.

Was going to ask the same question :) Pele, the "Porker" tends to keep eating until it's all gone. It took her 3 hours to eat a huge bone the other night, that would take a "normal" dog a month :laugh: Funnily the cow hooves that I've bought she chewed for a bit then gave up :D They only worked out to about 80c each :laugh: