Hills Science J/d (joint Diet) - Limited Availability

pipsqueak

Not sure how many people here feed Hills Science j/d (lets not get into whether people should or should not fee dit).

I've just been to two vets this afternoon trying to get j/d for our pooch. Was told by both vets that they are having trouble getting it from the supplier - second vet said that they might not get it until March and it might be because the supplier is having trouble getting it into the country - but she wasn't 100% sure.

So, for us it is back to "normal" Hills Science with the addition of Joint Guard and fish oil - not as effective for her as j/d, but will have to do in the meantime.

ETA - just spoke to Hills Science. All types of Hills dry food is affected - Hills Science and prescription diets. They are apparently waiting for supplies to arrive by boat :) and it is not expected until 2nd week in March ;) She did say that they notified all the people they supply, but apparently some outlets stocked up and some outlets didn't. So, if you feed Hills dry it might be an idea to grab an extra bag if you can.

Edited by futuredogtrainer

I purchased some prescription k/d online, and was told the same thing - and that shipments would arrive early March. However, I got an email today saying my order had been shipped - so maybe it came in earlier than expected (otherwise it was sourced from somewhere else)???

It's because AQIS have two new requirements this year for Hills food imports that have not been a requirement previously.

Still lots of Royal Canin Mobility Support going around. Otherwise you might need to go for an adult or senior variety and add in fish oil and glucosamine.

That's what I'm doing - I just wish that I had of known sooner. Dog who is fed j/d has a sensitive stomach, so we have to be very careful with changing food - thankfully we still have some "normal" Hills that we feed to the other dog, which should last us until we can make a switch to another brand.

Im sure there was something from the vet on their websiter that mentioned that there was issues getting Hills products imported and that they were sourcing another brand for some of the food they stock (I did notice another brand there last week of one of the science diet varieties)

• 2 weeks later...
Still lots of Royal Canin Mobility Support going around. Otherwise you might need to go for an adult or senior variety and add in fish oil and glucosamine.

I opted for Royal Canin Mobility Support and my old dog has gradually lost his appetite. :rolleyes: I used Hills JD, RD and UD. (4 dogs on different diets) Fortunately I can get the latter, but only canned RD, and no dry JD. I'm told that Royal Canin is going to be hard to get also, has anyone else been told that?

Just use a normal food and add in a joint supplement like Joint Guard :thumbsup:

I'd do that if there was no other alternative , Archie, but that was how I used to feed my old male and he was struggling. I saw a marked improvement once he was on Hills JD. The RD was just wonderful, I actually discovered a couple of girls who'd been overweight really did have ribs after all. :laugh: The increase in energy and activity was lovely to see.

• 2 months later...

Okay - this is for everyone who, like me changed their dog over to Royal Canin Mobility when Hills j/d was affected

I just spoke to our vet this afternoon - they currently cannot source Royal Canin Mobility - the problem that delayed Hills j/d getting into the country is now apparently affecting Royal Canin. Urgh - means I get to switch her back to Hills j/d, and put up with the mushy poop for 2 weeks - doesn't matter how slowly I make the change, it always seems to happen!

Okay - this is for everyone who, like me changed their dog over to Royal Canin Mobility when Hills j/d was affected

I just spoke to our vet this afternoon - they currently cannot source Royal Canin Mobility - the problem that delayed Hills j/d getting into the country is now apparently affecting Royal Canin. Urgh - means I get to switch her back to Hills j/d, and put up with the mushy poop for 2 weeks - doesn't matter how slowly I make the change, it always seems to happen!

For us in Vic, more of the Mobility Support is being delivered tomorrow from our wholesaler, and we got a huge delivery a few weeks ago of all of our backorders.

RC tell me there's another shipment due next week, and it is due to all the Hills folk having to switch over to RC Prescription formulas, but RC feels they will be back on track very soon.

You should ring around if you are having trouble getting RC Mobility, as I have more 14kg bags than I know what to do with now. :laugh:

You should ring around if you are having trouble getting RC Mobility, as I have more 14kg bags than I know what to do with now. :laugh:

Ah, only if you were up here. Local vet has had RC Mobility on back order for 2 weeks, with no indication of when their order is due - at least they still have small bags. Our other local vet has no RC mobility at all!

Aah ok...gee that's annoying. I don't know where you are but I would phone RC helpline and say you are desperate, they may be able to source from another clinic for you. I was having a freak out about my dog and the hypoallergenic earlier in the week and our rep was most helpful.

If you are in Vic and want to do a phone order and have it picked up from my clinic we can do a phone order.

spoke to the hills rep today, he says problems are fixed it should be a 1 - 1 1/2 weeks for dog and 2 weeks for cat food

I can't get the Hills (Prescription) Z/D. The Vet where I source this from tells me the Hills people are saying they cannot give an ETA.