University Begins And Where Should My Puppy Be Settled?

Lynn725

I have just got my little puppy 1 week ago and I am living with my boyfriend so we can take care of our little baby together. However, my boyfriend will be away for 2 weeks and i have to take care of my puppy alone. The problem is my university begins next week and I have to go to university at least 4 hours on specific days. I am thinking should i leave him in the toilet and shut the door? Or should i put him in his own crate? I am very worry about this problem because if i put him in his crate by himself for 3~4 hours, I am afraid my puppy will pee and poo on his crate and that will makes him a dirty dog when he grows up. However, leaving him in toilet alone sounds so cruel for me and i did leave him in the toilet once and he cries so loud!

What should i do? Any suggestion? :) (My living room is carpet based so i can't leave the crate door open as he will pee and poo everywhere without me cleaning it up instantly, which leaves bad smell and stains.)

leave him in somewhere like the laundry/bathroom with a bed and some puppy pee pads. If he's a small breed you can fill a shallow box with paper based cat litter and put a tissue soaked with his urine there so he's lured to it

Its so hard to leave them when they're new!!!!!

Is it so bad to get a stain on the carpet? You can clean it enough - its not so bad. Puppy pads/newspaper are good - but to be honest I'd come home and find the puppy pad shredded into a million thousand pieces and that was worse to clean up!

And leave lots to chew!

Is it so bad to get a stain on the carpet? You can clean it enough - its not so bad. Puppy pads/newspaper are good - but to be honest I'd come home and find the puppy pad shredded into a million thousand pieces and that was worse to clean up!

And leave lots to chew!

The problem is if they pee on my carpet, the carpet will have his urine smell! I am so scared that he would be attracted by the smell and he will not pee on the spot i want him to pee on! =(

Puppy in his crate or puppy proofed laundry etc would be the best solution I think. I would not recommend the toilet, not a likely scenario but imagine a puppy getting frantic and pushing up the toilet lid, falling in face first.. when I left my babies home alone we used their crate, I set up one half as a bed and other half as with paper. 1 -2 days in pups would be going to toilet on their paper if caught short (I had a waterproof layer under the bedding so it did not wet their sleeping area) and they only wet their crate a few times. Definately a few accidents as a puppy will not make a dog dirty, or permanently unhousetrained.

Set things up so when/if you come home to a mess it is easily cleaned up and there are no other problems for pup to find such as cleaning products within reach when unsupervised .

And leave lots to chew!

The problem is if they pee on my carpet, the carpet will have his urine smell! I am so scared that he would be attracted by the smell and he will not pee on the spot i want him to pee on! =(

White vinegar is pretty good. Our whole house is pretty much carpeted, so we just put up with it. It didn't seem to have an issue with his toilet training, in fact he would usually do it by the back door. (Fancy putting carpet near a back door!)

How old is puppy? If he's 4 months old he should be ok for four hours or so in the crate. Can he hold it all night? A puppy will try to avoid going in the crate but might not be so careful with the rest of the house.

Plus - being in the crate he can't practice evil things like eating furniture.

The puppy is 8 weeks and going to be 9 weeks tomorrow.

I would crate him. Four hours isn't that long to be crated, Halo was easily holding for four hours at nine weeks old (we'd put her to bed at 9, and she wouldn't wake up until 2, so that was 5 hours). He'll try and hold for as long as he can in the crate, whereas he won't even try to hold if he's let out.

A toilet is a horrible place to leave a puppy :birthday:

a puppy playpen would be a very useful thing for you! :party: ...a pup in his crate for a lot of the day, then again at night is a lot of crate time , IMO.You don't have a backyard which has good fences? If you CLICK HERE , the information may be helpful for you :)

So- I gather you didn't plan for all this when you got your pup?You are leaving it to the last minute , unfortunately. :thumbsup:

puppies do not need human company 24/7 ..they do need a lot, but they also need to learn to be happy playing alone, and being alone...otherwise you have problems if pup needs to go to a kennel, or a vet or something :cheer:

Oh- you may also be interested to read this thread CLICK HERE - lots of info on new pup and pup pen, etc :D

Edited by persephone

leave him in somewhere like the laundry/bathroom with a bed and some puppy pee pads. If he's a small breed you can fill a shallow box with paper based cat litter and put a tissue soaked with his urine there so he's lured to it

:thumbsup::birthday::cheer: