How Do I Get Rid Of Fleas?

lilypily

My dog is 8 and has never had a flea on her in her life...........until now :)

I also have a cat who is outdoors during the day and she spends the evening/night inside. (also never had a flea on her). We have several stray cats that hang around. The only thing I can think of is it's these stray cats who have fleas and are passing it onto my cat who is then passing it on to my dog.

I'm using advantage but it's getting expensive, i'm treating them both monthly. Is there anything else I can use to? Does flea powder actually work?

Keeping my cat indoors permanantly is not an option. ;) She goes nuts if she can't go out during the day. I'v tried keeping her in but she scratches the doors and has torn lace down from the windows (i'm renting to)

Is there anything I can put on the garden and lawn areas to?

Capstar tablets for both cat and dog (appropriate doses) and flea bomb your house.

X 2, we are having lots of problems with fleas in Vic right now and everyone is saying the same - "I've never had fleas on my pets until now".

Bomb your house and continue with the Advantage. If you stop it will get out of control. You can try switching to comfortis but it's a similar price. Capstar's residual activity is 12hrs at the most, it's for large adult flea burdens or where your animal is irritated but it should not be used instead of a month-long product.

Comfortis has been working wonderfully for my dogs. Cats tend to pick up fleas and bring them home so some flea treatment for the cats is essential.

Flea bomb the house and then repeat weekly for a couple of weeks to get any that hatch later.

Permoxin or Malawash/Malaban can be mixed up in a garden spray and sprayed around the outdoor areas and bedding.

Regular treatment is the key ...

Guest bigdogg

Cheap option - confidor concentrate 8ml tube from bunnings..

I put about 3ml on 35 - 40 kg dogs..

Same active ingredient as one of the leading flea control products..

Ugh...I've had trouble keeping the fleas at bay this summer. Frontline was no longer working (I was dosing every 3 weeks and it was getting expensive!) so my vet recommended Comfortis ...and it worked within hours! I sprayed my carpets, washed bedding and for a whole week I vacuumed every day. My dog no longer has fleas...yay!

Cheap option - confidor concentrate 8ml tube from bunnings..

I put about 3ml on 35 - 40 kg dogs..

Same active ingredient as one of the leading flea control products..

There was a previous thread on this where it was pointed out that confidor has other ingredients that may or may not be harmful to dogs.

It is NOT registered for use on dogs. There is NO WAY I'd be putting it on my dogs.

Flea drops essential for cats. I use revolution on my cat. Bought off ebay at a good price. Have been putting it on once a month.

- flea bomb house, garage etc.

- use pest control spray on window seals, outside etc.

- keep clean and vacuum areas where pets hang out.

can get these products at Bunnings or even bigW probably.

Comfortis all the way!!!

I was having a huge problem with fleas and spending heaps on Frontline, Revolution etc that seemed to do nothing. At the advice of DOLers I bought Comfortis off Ebay (its worked out SO much cheaper too) and the day after treatment, no fleas!! A couple weeks later, and still not a flea to be seen.

I had also bombed the house at the beginning of Summer, but didn't help with the fleas on my dogs.

The tablets are pretty big but I just put them in the bowl with their biscuits and the gobbled them right up :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone. I'm naieve with fleas as my animals have never had them.

There is certainly no infestation. I'v seen 2 on my girl and got the Advantage then every month I notice another 1 or 2 fleas on her so go again with the Advantage.

I know I am completely ridiculous here, but fleas just freak me out!!!

I move house in 2 weeks and pray we don't have the same problem there.

If the house has been uninhabited for a few weeks that can actually be a bad time as any eggs in the environment will hatch with the sudden vibration in the house and heat sources.

If there have been pets there previously and you have time I would bomb, wait 1-2 days and vacuum before you move in. You won't have any spiders, cockroaches or any other insects either if you bomb first! :thumbsup:

Also a vote for Comfortis here.

Had tried all the spot ons (frontline, advantix, advantage etc), flea bombs, sentinel all of it, with still never really getting rid of them- they decreased but not go away. I have three dogs and a cat who is an outside cat...

Comfortis was the only thing that got rid of them.

oh my doG I hate fleas.

Thanks everyone. I'm naieve with fleas as my animals have never had them.

There is certainly no infestation. I'v seen 2 on my girl and got the Advantage then every month I notice another 1 or 2 fleas on her so go again with the Advantage.

I know I am completely ridiculous here, but fleas just freak me out!!!

I move house in 2 weeks and pray we don't have the same problem there.

What I'd suggest is that you get a professional pest controller in before you move into the new place (day before is ideal). Get them to treat inside and outside for fleas, this will also kill off other creepy crawlies including spiders, ants and roaches. You'll spend $120 or so and it will be very worth it.

My dogs got fleas within an hour or two of arriving at my new place and when I asked for a flea spray, I was told that the property manager hadn't noticed any fleas so if I wanted it done, I would have to pay for it myself. I dare say the property manager didn't notice the bones buried below the back staircase either - presumably the fleas that were here came from whatever buried the bones OR from the neighbouring cats.

Anyway, I arranged it and paid for it myself and it's fixed the problem. Frontline wasn't working very well on the dogs at the time either.

I also used Capstar to knock down the fleas I could see on the dogs...which worked really well too. :thumbsup: