Ozentries

Pockets

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I much prefer the idea of entering online than via potal. All its going to take for Vic is some forward thinking show secretary to trail blaze the way. The rest will catch on I'm sure.

Just wish all shows used it... cheaper then doing entries via postal....

Is it really thou? I like the online process and use it when Im lazy but I def dont find it cheap especially when enterin 6 dogs :laugh:

I agree Nevafollo - I like the system and it is perfect for late entries! But I also find it much more expensive than posting entries, even just for one or two dogs. However, who are we to compain, so far there is NO club that makes you use Ozentries, you just have the added option.

It is not cheaper (Online entries) for either the exhibitor or the club, and with some of you saying that you don't have

a chq book - there are people who don't have credit cards either - and possibly those who would not wish to put

entries on a credit card.

Some Victorian clubs have utilised the online facility, but with very limited success.

I have used the online entries for Sydney Royal, as well as Melbourne Royal's online entry system - but as a Show

Secretary, prefer the "old way"! I like to know exactly where I am with entries at all times - and as I have records

for every show I have been involved with for many years, I am aware well in advance if there is a likelihood of judges

exceeding allowable numbers.

Just wish all shows used it... cheaper then doing entries via postal....

Is it really thou? I like the online process and use it when Im lazy but I def dont find it cheap especially when enterin 6 dogs :laugh:

Whether it is cheaper for you depends on the value of your time in strictly financial terms and how much you are being charged for cheques by your financial provider. I won't say how much I earn per hour but it is well over $60. For me, quickly picking up pre-recorded details of my dogs on a website and paying by credit card is far quicker than the time it takes to manually put the entries together and get to a post box to post the entry.

If I were retired on a fixed pension with a lot of spare time the calculation would be different and it would not be cheaper unless my bank charged like a wounded bull for cheques, as some do. Plenty of people in that situation are prepared to pay extra for convenience and certainty tho'.

As for records, I've been using OzEntries for a few years now and I have records of everything I've done as well. Electronic records are still records but the official club records are all on paper (printed off the computer!)

It is definitely financial advantageous for the club IMO - I get additional entries through using this system and if you shop properly for envelopes you are not out of pocket on postage.

I cannot believe people who let their accounts get too low when they have written out chqs! If you have written out a chq, then you do not have that money to use - so WHY DO IT???? Am I the only person in the world who actually balances my chq book!!!!

When I have written the chq, the money is no longer available to me - regardless of when the chq is banked!

Can you tell I am a Show Secretary??? LOL

Amazing how many Banks make mistakes these days....

Not all clubs bank their cheques before shows. It's frustrating! Trying to keep money aside when you don't know when the cheque will be banked is difficult.

To be honest I run a very tight budget. Constantly checking to see if my cheque has been banked is time consuming. I don't have a seperate cheque account, so there are more things coming out of that account than cheques. It's not just a case of "balancing my chq book" but monitoring the comings and goings carefully.

I'm not one who bounces cheques, but I have put the wrong cheque in the envelope when doing a few shows at once. :laugh: Have to triple check everything now.

Guest CaptainCourageous

I went to use OzEntries last year, worked out it cost slightly more, worked out that we were entering other shows in the same session so decided to prefer the old way on the day.

I did a MBA assignment on on-line show entries several years ago, so I'll watch developments with interest.

Online entries with the Melbourne Royal don't seem to be able to list my kennel name as exhibitor, so I wish they'd get that right.

CC

In what way does it work out more expensive, are you charged for using Ozentries or do the clubs put the fees up to use it?

It's $1 charged by Ozentries per entry i.e. if you enter 5 dogs you pay $5 to Ozentries for the service. They also charge u a small percentage of the total of the transaction as a credit card fee, 1.5% or something like that.

I look at it this way, it is far cheaper for me to be able to enter a show a week or 2 before that show via Ozentries and know that I can actually attend, as opposed to entering a show 4-5 weeks beforehand on the off chance that I "might" be able to attend. In saying that, I have noticed that in NSW show secretary's are now offering a closing date closer to the show, e.g. 2-3 weeks, since Ozentries have offered this service.

Edited by Havasneeze

Ozentries could be twice as expensive and I'd still use it whenever it was available for a show of interest to me.

It's good to have the choice - those who don't want to pay the extra dollars and have the time can do postal entries.

Those of us who value time and convenience very highly and don't find the cost of shows entries an issue (the entry is probably the lowest of the various expenses I fork out to show) can go the on-line route. Best of both worlds.

It is not cheaper (Online entries) for either the exhibitor or the club, and with some of you saying that you don't have

a chq book - there are people who don't have credit cards either - and possibly those who would not wish to put

entries on a credit card.

Some Victorian clubs have utilised the online facility, but with very limited success.

I have used the online entries for Sydney Royal, as well as Melbourne Royal's online entry system - but as a Show

Secretary, prefer the "old way"! I like to know exactly where I am with entries at all times - and as I have records

for every show I have been involved with for many years, I am aware well in advance if there is a likelihood of judges

exceeding allowable numbers.

I dont have a credit card, I have a direct debit card, so can be used the same as. You dont have to have a credit card to be able to pay things online. That way the money is there :thumbsup:

Then there would be no excuses for late entries or entries getting lost in the mail :)

I will say it again, it DOES NOT cost the CLUB using it anything. The exhibitors pay extra, not the club.

And yes if you are a busy person, that extra cost is really nothing! And you still have the choice. I use Ozentries to enter shows rarely, but I have done, when I forgot to send normal entries for example.

In what way does it work out more expensive, are you charged for using Ozentries or do the clubs put the fees up to use it?

It's $1 charged by Ozentries per entry i.e. if you enter 5 dogs you pay $5 to Ozentries for the service. They also charge u a small percentage of the total of the transaction as a credit card fee, 1.5% or something like that.

I look at it this way, it is far cheaper for me to be able to enter a show a week or 2 before that show via Ozentries and know that I can actually attend, as opposed to entering a show 4-5 weeks beforehand on the off chance that I "might" be able to attend. In saying that, I have noticed that in NSW show secretary's are now offering a closing date closer to the show, e.g. 2-3 weeks, since Ozentries have offered this service.

I'm pretty sure the cost was more than a dollar per entry?

Just from memory, & I may be wrong, but i'm thinking to enter 3-4 dogs for a show the extra cost was in the vicinity of an extra entry fee.

Which adds up for a 2-3 show w/e.

Most shows cost me a tank of fuel there & back, so an extra 20-30 bucks for a w/e does make a difference.

Anyhow, to each their own.

Guest CaptainCourageous
Ozentries could be twice as expensive and I'd still use it whenever it was available for a show of interest to me.

It's good to have the choice - those who don't want to pay the extra dollars and have the time can do postal entries.

Those of us who value time and convenience very highly and don't find the cost of shows entries an issue (the entry is probably the lowest of the various expenses I fork out to show) can go the on-line route. Best of both worlds.

Then again, the whole thing could've been done in-house by ANKC and its controlling bodies and made a standard, simple method of entering with data entered connected to the pedigree database!

CC

$1 per entry, plus the mailing fee (65c or something last time I looked?), plus the credit card surcharge. Yes it adds up, but its the convenience you are paying for. To some people thats is priceless!

why doesnt someone get off their bum & give victorians the option to use ozentries & then gauge the result instead of all this idol chit chat of the hows whys & maybes. i for one will definitly use this great service, im not afraid of the 21st century.

why doesnt someone get off their bum & give victorians the option to use ozentries & then gauge the result instead of all this idol chit chat of the hows whys & maybes. i for one will definitly use this great service, im not afraid of the 21st century.

it's up to the clubs - and the clubs have to make sure it's put into the schedule that is put forward to the controlling body.

Some Victorian clubs have already used it - as I already said - with limited success. Melbourne Dog Club used it last year - only had about 40 dogs entered that way - to the best of my recollection... Might have been the year before... they all run together nowdays! LOL

I think some of the Gippsland shows have used it too..