Tips For Taking Pup Camping?

kitkatswing

Afternoon all :laugh:

We are going camping this weekend and taking our pup with us. He has had all his shots etc and we spoke to the vet to make sure he can come to that area without needing anythign additional... (He is 4 months, 1 week old)

Has anyone got any tips or hints for taking dogs/puppies camping??

Im looking forward to it actually, Maui is goign to have a great time running around the oval and playing on the beach.

I hope it goes well . as long as his crate is secure, and he has a leash/tether which he can't chew thru he should stay safe

:)

just don't forget he might enjoy it, but other folks/dogs may not be as friendly !

Not something I would do :laugh:

It was either take him with us or leave him home alone for 4 days... So yeah. We go camping loads so this is a good chance for him to learn. (he has to learn at some point)..

We have bought a tether that screws into the ground that is really secure.

Other people & dogs? Its a fairly remote place, at most there has only been maybe 20-30 other people camping (apart from our group of 20)... Have only ever seen 2 other dogs there too, one was the owners...

Everyone in our group knows Maui is coming with us..

It was either take him with us or leave him home alone for 4 days... So yeah. We go camping loads so this is a good chance for him to learn. (he has to learn at some point)..

We have bought a tether that screws into the ground that is really secure.

Other people & dogs? Its a fairly remote place, at most there has only been maybe 20-30 other people camping (apart from our group of 20)... Have only ever seen 2 other dogs there too, one was the owners...

Everyone in our group knows Maui is coming with us..

Seriously?

Boarding at kennels is usually an option. No way would I leave any dog, let alone a pup alone for 4 days.. fed or not.

Get a wire crate. A pup on a tether is a sitting duck for other dogs and likely to get tangled. I'd not leave a tethered dog unattended either.

Poodle : I wouldnt want to board him or leave him home alone (I hate leavign him home alone for a few hours!)..

He wont be aunatended during the whole camping trip, trust me :laugh: He will most likely be with me the whole time. Occasionally going off with a friends daughter to play frisbee or something...

I would never leave him alone and tethered, I am not that stupid, its just asking for trouble!!!

The teather is mainly for when its a bit darker if we need it, but he will be on the lead 99.99% of the time anyway...

I have taken my girl camping on a number of occasions and we love it. Similar to you I did not have anyone else to care for her and would prefer to take her then board her. I simply made sure where ever we went she would have something to do e.g. beach, river, bushwalking. I always camp with others that like and know my dog(s) so it is never a problem. It means we always have someone to play footy with or take for a swim :laugh: I am sure you already know that other campers around may not like dogs around, but it is easy to keep your dog in your area so should not be an issue!

Now I have dog number 2 it will be more challenging but we will be heading off in a couple of weeks. I love bringing a dog along. It does create more work but also a lot more fun. And Tilly loves camping as well. We went towards the end of last year and it was FREEZING, having her in my swag made all the difference :)

My list to bring includes:

- Crate: VERY helpful if you have one, just good to know they are safe if you have a fire going etc

- Bedding: may be cold

- Food & water bowls

- All the normal food

- A few meaty bones in the esky: helpful if they are getting annoying :)

- TOYS! Fetch toys, soft toy etc

- Extra lead and collar: ensure ID tag has a number on it. Remember if you are camping you may not have reception so not a bad idea to put a home number for a friend etc on it just in case.

- Towels: if you are going near water

- Portable water bowl: bushwalking

- Google number and addy for the nearest vet ahead of time. If there is an emergency you will be much calmer if you already know where to go.

- Basic first aid kit not a bad idea

Have a great time!

Edited by cmkelpie

I have taken my girl camping on a number of occasions and we love it. Similar to you I did not have anyone else to care for her and would prefer to take her then board her. I simply made sure where ever we went she would have something to do e.g. beach, river, bushwalking. I always camp with others that like and know my dog(s) so it is never a problem. It means we always have someone to play footy with or take for a swim :laugh: I am sure you already know that other campers around may not like dogs around, but it is easy to keep your dog in your area so should not be an issue!

Now I have dog number 2 it will be more challenging but we will be heading off in a couple of weeks. I love bringing a dog along. It does create more work but also a lot more fun. And Tilly loves camping as well. We went towards the end of last year and it was FREEZING, having her in my swag made all the difference :clap:

My list to bring includes:

- Crate: VERY helpful if you have one, just good to know they are safe if you have a fire going etc

- Bedding: may be cold

- Food & water bowls

- All the normal food

- A few meaty bones in the esky: helpful if they are getting annoying :)

- TOYS! Fetch toys, soft toy etc

- Extra lead and collar: ensure ID tag has a number on it. Remember if you are camping you may not have reception so not a bad idea to put a home number for a friend etc on it just in case.

- Towels: if you are going near water

- Portable water bowl: bushwalking

- Google number and addy for the nearest vet ahead of time. If there is an emergency you will be much calmer if you already know where to go.

- Basic first aid kit not a bad idea

Have a great time!

Thanks for that!! I had that list down thankfully, except the nearest vet! I will google that now and check it out.. I do have a camping first aid kit that goes with us anyway.

Ill be grabbing a couple of bones tomorow from the market for him!! :)

Im actually pretty excited about it, hubby and I love camping and a few of our friends go camping all the itme with their dogs too, so will be good to go with them now :cheer:

There is a river along the beach that leads to the ocean, Maui loves playing in the sand so I think he will have a ball.

He will be sleeping inside the van with us (We have a long wheel van which we have a matteress in the back, and an annex that attached to the side :laugh: on his bed (but I am SURE he will crawl up and sleep under the sleeping bags with us. )

There is a river along the beach that leads to the ocean, Maui loves playing in the sand so I think he will have a ball.

He will be sleeping inside the van with us (We have a long wheel van which we have a matteress in the back, and an annex that attached to the side :) on his bed (but I am SURE he will crawl up and sleep under the sleeping bags with us. )

I am sure you will have a great time! If you are regular campers around water it may be worth investing in a lifejacket at some point (once Maui moves out of the sand and into the water). Tilly comes kayaking with us when we go camping, in calm water and with a lifejacket on, and she thinks it is the best thing ever :laugh:

He will be sleeping inside the van with us (We have a long wheel van which we have a matteress in the back, and an annex that attached to the side :) on his bed (but I am SURE he will crawl up and sleep under the sleeping bags with us. )

I am sure you will have a great time! If you are regular campers around water it may be worth investing in a lifejacket at some point (once Maui moves out of the sand and into the water). Tilly comes kayaking with us when we go camping, in calm water and with a lifejacket on, and she thinks it is the best thing ever :laugh:

Silly question time, where would one go about getting a life jacket for a JRT??? :)

Most metal spike type tethers probably wouldn't stay in sand. You might want to look at getting some sand pegs - or even a soft sided crate. I found a crate really helpful when I needed two hands to set up the tent, or prepare food.

And dog bed / mat that rolls up, so dog doesn't need to take over mine when we're sleeping.

I also got tick tablets and a puller because we were staying in a bad paralysis tick area. The tick tablets need to be feed ahead of time and during and maybe for a week after.

PS if it's not too hot, I sometimes use the car as a crate.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Silly question time, where would one go about getting a life jacket for a JRT??? :)

I like the Ruffwear lifejackets but not sure what the smallest size is.... Cheapest place I have found to get them (even with postage) is from an overseas company called Backcountry K9

Edited by cmkelpie

Mrs Rusty Bucket : When we are at the beach he will be on the lead. the spike will be mainly for when we sit around the oval watching the locals play cricket :laugh: (unless he is on leash)..

I have had a google searcxh, looks like the area we are going isnt known for ticks at all.

cmkelpie : Thanks for that info :) Will have a look!

Don't forget a supply of poo bags :laugh: and remember that you pup can't just go whenever he wants if he is contained/restrained so lots of frequent toilet opporunities (and a great way to put toileting on command if you haven't already done so)

also an extra tarp is often useful to provide shade on different areas or block off a visual that may be exciting him too much or to put on the ground if he decides he's going to dig to china :)

Have a great time! We love camping with our dogs and do so regularly.

Don't forget a supply of poo bags :laugh: and remember that you pup can't just go whenever he wants if he is contained/restrained so lots of frequent toilet opporunities (and a great way to put toileting on command if you haven't already done so)

also an extra tarp is often useful to provide shade on different areas or block off a visual that may be exciting him too much or to put on the ground if he decides he's going to dig to china :)

Have a great time! We love camping with our dogs and do so regularly.

Ah yes, the poo bags! Thankfully I bought a few more rolls the other day. We will have a few tarps with us, plus a HUGe one that my parents will be setting up (that we all sit under, seriously its like 20 meters long!).

Have fun on your camping trip. We love camping with our BC girl & she loves it too. A wire crate with a canvas cover is a great thing to have along...wouldn't leave home without it. Just one more thing of concern...if you are camping near a river that runs into the ocean, be careful with the run out tide if your pup decides he really loves the water.he could get taken out to sea. My girl loves the water so much, that I wont take her near the river/beach if it is a run out tide. These days I am also paranoid about bull sharks which like to frequent rivers near beaches & they just love dogs :laugh: Apart from this....camping with your dog is so much fun, we do it a lot during the trialing season.

We took our young pup camping over New Year - would second the LOTS of towels if you have a mud lover like us!

Also - we got a good (not great, but fit for purpose) life jacket from K-Mart for him - about $15. Not sure if they have JRT sizes, but worth looking at.

Don't forget the tick repellent if you're not coastal - we're not in a tick area and need to keep the tick treatment up to date when camping.

It was also our pup's first loooong trip so it took a lot longer to get to where we were going as his toilet training was "just" getting there and we weren't sure that he would indicate when he needed to go (or be in a good spot where he could be toileted safely) - we stopped 4 times instead of our usual once for the older dog. Similarly - he was in our tent and we toileted him when he got up - then he decided to play at 3am - that was when the crate was handy :laugh:.

Hope you have a great time.

We took our young pup camping over New Year - would second the LOTS of towels if you have a mud lover like us!

Also - we got a good (not great, but fit for purpose) life jacket from K-Mart for him - about $15. Not sure if they have JRT sizes, but worth looking at.

Don't forget the tick repellent if you're not coastal - we're not in a tick area and need to keep the tick treatment up to date when camping.

It was also our pup's first loooong trip so it took a lot longer to get to where we were going as his toilet training was "just" getting there and we weren't sure that he would indicate when he needed to go (or be in a good spot where he could be toileted safely) - we stopped 4 times instead of our usual once for the older dog. Similarly - he was in our tent and we toileted him when he got up - then he decided to play at 3am - that was when the crate was handy :o.

Hope you have a great time.

Ok, lots of towells will be packed... It is a coastal area so I dont think there will be an probs with ticks.

Maui has done hour long trips before (to my parents place). the trip we are planning is 3 hours drive, with one possibly two stops to allow him to have a wee/poop break :laugh: He tends to just sleep in the car anyway.

We are taking the 2 beagles camping on the weekend. It's for training them only, not for any other purpose. As in, traingibg them to be good campers haha. We took Charlie on his own before we had Mia and it wasn't a success (mainly because other campers didn't follow the rules and keep their dogs on leads). Where we are going is pretty isolated, and will be on the far side of the creek where only hard core 4wds can get to. Fingers crossed.

Eta. Not that our 4wd is that hardcore anymore. Perhaps that may be an issue!!

Edited by CharlieG