Being Separated From Your Dog

wagsalot

I don't think it is healthy for the dog or the owner to not be able to spend time apart without stressing etc

When my dog was at the vets for his desexing and pexy, I have to confess to forgetting all about him being there - I have complete and utter confidence in my vet so have no issues leaving him there.

I also like being able to go away (leaving dog in kennel or with house sitter) without having to have my whole routine revolving around the dog - I enjoy the break from the responsibility.

My dog is part of my life, he is not my life :cry:

:laugh: agree totally

I don't think it is doing a dog any favours to have it conditioned to be unable to spend time alone or be boarded or left in a strange place if necessary.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KtB - bewildered and confused after desexing has not much to do with being away from their humans, and everything to do with having a general pre meds and a general anaesthetic -nothing much works properly for some time, including brains :D

Sorry I should have been clearer - he wasn't distressed. He was very confused by the anaesthetic and tried to go home with someone else :cry: I felt so sorry for my drugged puppy

wagsalot: my two are sooks, too. Maybe it's a Kelpie thing despite their tough farm dogginess :laugh:

Edited by koalathebear

I can totally understand when people don't like leaving their dogs...... so I always make sure my OH does it :laugh: . He leaves for work last, etc etc. (And I'm the one who gets to come home first and gets the cuddles!). I know its my weakness, and nothing to do with the dog. That being said, my 'rational mind' knows that if we have to leave him for whatever reason, and whether it be vets or kennels, it will be okay.

To the OP - if its of any comfort, I heard somewhere once that dogs live in the moment (I hope its true!). The don't feel time the same as we do. Maybe for Riley it'll just be a moment that you're not there....

ETA: KTB - Max also thought the other lady in the waiting room was his owner when they brought him out after he'd been desexed. I tried hard not to be too offended.......

Edited by Max#1

I agree Danois,

When I go away i miss my pets, but I'm not stressed I can't be with them (only once I cut a

Trip short and that was because kaos was not acting normal and mum and dad were really worried about her)

Atlas does not care if I am here or not, kaos will get stressed after a few weeks, but I don't often go away for weeks.

The cats are happy for however long as long as they get fed lol

:cry: agree totally

I don't think it is doing a dog any favours to have it conditioned to be unable to spend time alone or be boarded or left in a strange place if necessary.

Now I agree with you :laugh:

Conditioning them to being able to spend time alone and being boarded is especially important if you have a deep chested breed (i.e. ones prone to bloat).

Some studies suggest that stress is one of the causes of bloat.

I completely understand where you're coming from. If its any consolation, I think we stress about it more than the dogs do.

I had to leave Zeus with mum for a few days when he was three months old. I ended up calling 2-3 times a day and stressing myself out.

When he got desexed I was ok but my mum and partner weren't, they called me constantly asking me if I'd picked Zeus up yet.

More recently I went on two weeks holiday overseas and put Zeus in a kennel. It took me months to choose a kennel and I inspected at least 12 before finding one I was comfortable with. I got pretty upset after I dropped him off, I felt like I was letting him down and abandoning him. I got anxious everytime I thought of him while I was away. About a week into the holiday I got a text from mum telling me she was going to pick him up as she was worried about him. It made me feel a bit better knowing he was being looked after by someone who loved him. I contacted the boarding kennel when I got back to see how he was and if he was distressed, they said he was completely fine and settled in within a day.

Interesting topic I am going away for two days coming this Thursday and will be back Saturday evening and though the dogs will be at home, safe and well looked after I am already stressing that I am leaving them for this period of time. It is called separation anxiety then I have it bad.

Their routine will be just about normal but I won't be here to watch over my babies. I will be taking one with me but cannot take the other two. They have one of their favourite humans looking after them and she will take great care but I am still stressing over it to be honest.

They will have to do without me but I will be bringing them home something special and I will be over joyed to see them when I get home. So lots of cuddles and kisses till Thursday and then I have to leave. I know they will "survive" but the question is will I?

Sometimes conditioning them to being on their own can take time though.

I have only really ramped up Dory's conditioning since leaving house share situations for my own rental. Being in a rental also restricts how I go about conditioning her too. She can be quite destructive when left alone. And you can forget about keeping her in a yard without her spending most of her time getting out. She is more bonded to me than my daugther, so when my daughter is home I leave her with her.

I also recognise I'm dealing with my own worry about leaving her. I don't like the thought that she is stressed and this causes me stress. I also don't like to think she is barking and whining enough to annoy my neighbour who lives very close. So we do slow and steady.

I have boarded her with a friend I trust, that went well. But she is unable to take care of her these days. So now I'm planning in advance and going to try leaving her at the kennels for short stints. Being a pound puppy I do worry how she would percieve being in a kennel situation.

Am I attaching too much human emotion to her? Probably. But she's my dog, and ultimately I have to live with her and I try to do what works best for BOTH of us.

And that's what I say to anyone else. Do what you feel comfortable living with. Cos YOU live with the dog and have to deal with the aftermath of your decisions...good or bad. (Well, so does the dog).

If it was my own house, I would be less worried. Because if she damages anything, she's damaged my property. If it was my own house, I would be able to build her an escape proof yard. And so, I could do things a LOT differently to what I'm doing now.

We've had nothing but great experiences when having to be apart from Boonie so I no longer worry - although the first time we did.

We've used Fetch Pets in Stafford Heights and they are wonderful - she owns two Standard Poodles of her own, instant friends - Boonie was hesitant to leave when we came to pick him up.

He's great staying at home with others house sitting - our only worry is not for Boonie but for the house sitter getting tired out.

I was a bit worried when we took him to be desexed but given the reaction every time he goes back to the vet he was fine - I haven't seen a dog happier to see a vet in all my life - he wags his tail and has a sniff with the receptionist but when the vet comes out his excitement is unbelievable. makes for easy vet trips for us. I'll give Kedron Vets a plug.

So I guess I'm saying I can understand the worry but dogs are pretty damn adaptable and if you're leaving them in a good/caring environment they'll get on just fine without out you. Plus the welcome back playtime is great fun.