Cat Fleas And Dog Fleas The Same Thing?

SOmeone told me there is a difference between cat and dog fleas, so i need not worry about the cat fleas when de-flea my dog????

Of course I de-flea both, but aren't they the same thing, or if not, bite both species of cat and dog? :confused:

There are different flea species I believe, but they all use animals as hosts. Therefore, if your dogs has x type flea, your cat will too and vice versa. That is my understanding anyway.

Yes thats what I thought! Any experts out there?

It is probably just my observations, but every one I know who has trouble with fleas on their dogs, also either own a cat or have cats living nearby. I havn't seen a flea on my dogs since we got rid of our last cat, some 20 years ago.

Different species. They look different under the microscope but not sure if you can tell them apart with the naked eye. Dogs can get infestations of cat fleas though, and vice versa, and humans can get bitten by either.

i don't think my cat knows fleas but both my dogs do!

maybe the flea we all complain about is commonly the 'cat flea' seeing as they can host on dogs too...

there are different products for cats as there is for dogs but i am aware that you can give a 1/4 tab of comfortis to your cat so i don't think there'd be much, if any at all, difference between the two parasites...

It is probably just my observations, but every one I know who has trouble with fleas on their dogs, also either own a cat or have cats living nearby. I havn't seen a flea on my dogs since we got rid of our last cat, some 20 years ago.

i take it you're not a cat person, huh?

maybe the flea we all complain about is commonly the 'cat flea' seeing as they can host on dogs too...

there are different products for cats as there is for dogs but i am aware that you can give a 1/4 tab of comfortis to your cat so i don't think there'd be much, if any at all, difference between the two parasites...

No...I am not a "cat person" & didn't know there was a law that said everyone should love cats. I am a "native wildlife" person & you can't be both unless you keep your cat locked up 24/7 & no animal should be denied access to fresh air & sunshine IMO. :(

No...I am not a "cat person" & didn't know there was a law that said everyone should love cats. I am a "native wildlife" person & you can't be both unless you keep your cat locked up 24/7 & no animal should be denied access to fresh air & sunshine IMO. :cry:

It is completely possible to keep a cat contained and allow it access to fresh air and sunshine, and the cats are happy and safe.

No...I am not a "cat person" & didn't know there was a law that said everyone should love cats. I am a "native wildlife" person & you can't be both unless you keep your cat locked up 24/7 & no animal should be denied access to fresh air & sunshine IMO. :confused:

OT

sheena, it was just your choice of words [as bolded] is all...

i too am for native wildlife and i've managed thus far to keep my cat safe and within the confines of my backyard, offering her full access to fresh air and sunshine without detriment [and i would know] to any wildlife :rofl:

it can be done, but if you're not a cat person, that's okay, and not everyone is! just like not everyone is a dog person or a mouse person, or a rat person yada yada --- it was just your word choice :rofl:

No...I am not a "cat person" & didn't know there was a law that said everyone should love cats. I am a "native wildlife" person & you can't be both unless you keep your cat locked up 24/7 & no animal should be denied access to fresh air & sunshine IMO. ;)

OT

i too am for native wildlife and i've managed thus far to keep my cat safe and within the confines of my backyard, offering her full access to fresh air and sunshine without detriment [and i would know] to any wildlife :rofl:

it can be done, but if you're not a cat person, that's okay, and not everyone is! just like not everyone is a dog person or a mouse person, or a rat person yada yada --- it was just your word choice :rofl:

Skruffy & Flea...I didn't take any offense :confused: When we moved to our 200 acre farm & bush block about 30 years ago, we had big problems with ferrel cats, some, no kidding, were almost the size of a border collie. After an extensive & humane trapping program, together with the neighbours, we eradicated the area of feral cats along with thousands of rabbits & some wild dogs & foxes. We havn't seen a cat around here for about 20 years & our little patch of land abounds in wildlife & especially small birds, that are so tame they will dance around me while I garden. What I don't like about cats is that they will kill for fun & not for food. I may have to take in my elderly mothers lovely cat one day, but it will have to be an inside cat, but I wouldn't actively go out there looking for a cat to keep me company. Unfortunately, even inside cats, kill the wildlife I have living in the house ie. geckoes & penny lizards & are good at escaping between one's legs & getting outside among my fairy wrens & pygmy glider possums, no matter how careful one is, especially children :rofl: Anyway...this is a little :rofl:

No...I am not a "cat person" & didn't know there was a law that said everyone should love cats. I am a "native wildlife" person & you can't be both unless you keep your cat locked up 24/7 & no animal should be denied access to fresh air & sunshine IMO. ;)

OT

Skruffy & Flea...I didn't take any offense :confused: When we moved to our 200 acre farm & bush block about 30 years ago, we had big problems with ferrel cats, some, no kidding, were almost the size of a border collie. After an extensive & humane trapping program, together with the neighbours, we eradicated the area of feral cats along with thousands of rabbits & some wild dogs & foxes. We havn't seen a cat around here for about 20 years & our little patch of land abounds in wildlife & especially small birds, that are so tame they will dance around me while I garden. What I don't like about cats is that they will kill for fun & not for food. I may have to take in my elderly mothers lovely cat one day, but it will have to be an inside cat, but I wouldn't actively go out there looking for a cat to keep me company. Unfortunately, even inside cats, kill the wildlife I have living in the house ie. geckoes & penny lizards & are good at escaping between one's legs & getting outside among my fairy wrens & pygmy glider possums, no matter how careful one is, especially children :rofl: Anyway...this is a little :rofl:

ahhhh, that clarifies your situation perfectly and thanks for taking the time --- that last cat was a feral and it sounds like your little patch of land is heaven :rofl: i agree that cats are opportunistic and that's why i'm as vigilant as i can be; not just keeping bobbie out of trouble, but keeping safe what little wildlife there is in the middle of suburbia...

if you take in your mum's cat, a cat run would be in order, but you'd already know that :D