Has Anyone Heard Of This?

tommygirl

Ok, this is Cat and Dog related...but its so weird I had to ask if anyone else has heard of it!

I have come to the conclusion that Squid (the cat) is dog racist. Well I dont know any other way to put it.

For some reason, he hates any dogs that arent bull terriers! At first I just thought he hated any dogs that werent in our family, but after having some friends with bullies visit and he didnt bat an eye lid at the 'foreign' bullies its for sure, he hates dogs that do not have a banana schnose.

When Alva came to stay (Boston Terrier) he went crazy trying to attack him, hissing, clawing and making these god awful sounds ive never heard before. I had to be on alert to keep the cat away.

When my sister brought her border over, he wanted to rip his face off too, and same goes for staffords, and well any other dog thats visited. Squid wants to take em out.

But then when bullies come over...nothing. He walks around like 'oh hai whats goin on'.

This is my first cat, we have always had dogs. Squid the cat has been with us for 3 years now, and shares the house with 3 bull terriers, and has been in the house no problems when we have had a litter too. He is totally sweet loveable cat, very cuddly and lovely.

Soooo...has anyone heard of a cat that hates all dogs except a particular breed? Is it even possible? Or do I just own the randomest cat alive?

(Sorry this is not fully 'dog' related but its just so weird!).

No experience with this (don't do cats) but I'd say from an animal's perspective a Bull Terrier is a pretty distinctive shape - perhaps Squid doesn't recognise other breeds as being dogs at all?

Be interesting to know if a cat that lived with Boxers freaked out at the sight of a Greyhound but was OK with Bostons & Frenchies!

My cat HATES other cats. He was raised with Cattle Dogs. He is also OK with 'some' of the rescue dogs, but if they don't show him due respect he will beat the heck out of them. Well his name is Yowie! :hug:

Interestingly, my horses have seen so many ACD's and ASTCD's come and go with out batting an eyelid, but a friend of mine visited who has a Belgian Shepherd and OMG, just the sight her sent one of my horses into hysteria. He did a whole Lambert routine...."it's the wooulf, it's the wooulf" and ran around like a lunatic and slipped over in the mud. Thankfully, no serious injury, mainly just humiliation and embarassment. Same friend also had an adult Briard, so it was an equine's worst nightmare - kinda like Chewbacca and Darth Vader had landed and invaded our yard. :)

So, yeah, I guess some animals are breedist :)

S

No experience with this (don't do cats) but I'd say from an animal's perspective a Bull Terrier is a pretty distinctive shape - perhaps Squid doesn't recognise other breeds as being dogs at all?

Be interesting to know if a cat that lived with Boxers freaked out at the sight of a Greyhound but was OK with Bostons & Frenchies!

I thought that too- the Bullies are ok, cause he knows them and isnt threatened by that 'look' of dog, but all the others are threats...and the silly thing wants to hiss and scratch and whine and carry on.

Good point about the Boxers/Bostons/Frenchies vs another breed!

My cat HATES other cats. He was raised with Cattle Dogs. He is also OK with 'some' of the rescue dogs, but if they don't show him due respect he will beat the heck out of them. Well his name is Yowie! :hug:

Interestingly, my horses have seen so many ACD's and ASTCD's come and go with out batting an eyelid, but a friend of mine visited who has a Belgian Shepherd and OMG, just the sight her sent one of my horses into hysteria. He did a whole Lambert routine...."it's the wooulf, it's the wooulf" and ran around like a lunatic and slipped over in the mud. Thankfully, no serious injury, mainly just humiliation and embarassment. Same friend also had an adult Briard, so it was an equine's worst nightmare - kinda like Chewbacca and Darth Vader had landed and invaded our yard. :)

So, yeah, I guess some animals are breedist :eat:

S

Yes, mine hates other cats too. I am not big on cat behaviours as he is the first one Ive had (he got given to us) and I dont know if its a cat thing, or he is just an interesting fellow.

A horse chucking a narnie is worse than a cat!! Glad to hear noone was hurt!

And I like that 'breedist'...yes I think I have a 'breedist' feline.

:)

Not sure about cats but I had a dog that was 'breedist'. He was a Dobe and he hated Rotties and SBT's. He was entire and loved the ladies but even a entire bitch of either of those breeds would not be tolerated by him.

He was facinated by Mal's and Sibes and Sammies, was good with other Dobes and most mixed breed dogs (unless they looked like SBT or Rotty crosses) and his best mate was a male Kelpie X that he used to do Flyball with, so it wasn't a male thing, just a breed thing. :hug:

I have a cat that will accept a Pug in my house, but runs and hides from all other dogs.

I thought it was perhpas becuase Pugs are so complacent and non-threatening.

Perhaps it isn't though? Perhpas it is more related to recognition. Pugs also obviously have a distinct look. :laugh:

My Australian Shepherd shows a definaite distinction between dogs of other breeds and dogs of her own breed. With other breeds she can be a little standoffish and sometimes nervous until she knows them, really big dogs like St Bernards, Danes etc she freaks at but if its an Aussie she goes all gooey and playful almost straight away. Don't know how or why she makes the distinction just that she does.

My Aussies know other Aussies, and other Aussies recognise them as the "right" breed too. They definitely can distinguish between them and Border Collies....there's a chocolate merle BC at obedience training who the dogs have no interest in but if she were a red merle Aussie....which she looks very much like.....I think they'd be all over her.

My dogs can be "breedist"... Ari doesn't really like Labs, and both James and Ari really dislike black SBT... Spartan hates any dog that snorts a lot... LOL

My cat was fine with most dogs... but she absolutely freaked when she saw my sisters OES for the first time... admittedly, MOST animals and even some kids freak when they see Charlie, including dogs cos they just don't know what he is.

Edited by SparkyTansy