Morning Shows And Grooming

pixie_meg

We're attending our first morning show. now every other show i have washed and groomed him on the day, but i don't particularly want to wake up the whole family the morning of the show to wash him and dry him, its noisy. But i'm worried about how he'll look in the morning after washing and drying and flattening out his coat with sleep. if i wash and dry him the night before and then in the morning i spray water or light conditioner and use the drier again will that help?? Obviously different coats matter but any suggestions welcome.

You'll be fine :love: I rarely bath/blowdry on the morning of the show, usually it's a day or two beforehand. On the morning of the show (where possible) I use a grooming spray and a quick blowdry to fluff the coat up. If I am away for a 2 or 3 day show, then all they get is some grooming spray and a vigorous brush and the coat looks good as new.

ETA: I have a double-coated breed Spitz breed though, so different coat type obviously :laugh:

Edited by Miss B

You'll be fine :love: I rarely bath/blowdry on the morning of the show, usually it's a day or two beforehand. On the morning of the show (where possible) I use a grooming spray and a quick blowdry to fluff the coat up. If I am away for a 2 or 3 day show, then all they get is some grooming spray and a vigorous brush and the coat looks good as new.

ETA: I have a double-coated breed Spitz breed though, so different coat type obviously :laugh:

thanks for that. guess i'm extra worried as he lost a bit of undercoat this week. its been our hottest week for a long time. It'll be harder to fluff him. but his form is decent i think(says the newbie).

Plus i threw a bone for him to fetch this arvo. he chased it, it bounced and donked him on the nose. lovely clunk sound and a blood spot on his nose. he doesn't seem hurt though. its been 2 months since his last show after his injury. think i'm nervous.

I suggest you do the spray to dampen the coat and then foof up with the dryer. :love:

I get up at 4am the morning of a show to bath/blowdry one of my dogs. She just looks best when done fresh that day. But she usually looks pretty scruffy by the time I get to the show... sometimes I wonder why I bother.

This is key to learning about your dogs coat & this will come with trial & error.

I practice on practice days never show days .

Hot towel all over can work a treat .

Certain sprays can worl well over just make the coat heavy crap looking.

I bath my long coats the night before ( i start late as i like them to run all day & generally finish midnight ish) in the morning the coats are tied up or the pee band is put on then sprayed blow dried & look a million bucks, alos lucky i live 5 mins away & we have the yard set up for wet/damp am so it doesn't affect the coat if the weather is good

What show are you doing Pixie Meg?

Is it Sunny coast on sunday??

If so I'll see you there, I'll be there with 3 basenji's.

yep sunny coast. I'll see you there.

thanks for the replies everyone. i'll wash him the night before and fluff him up in the morning.

The night before is fine.

I have found with big coats they are even better if you can leave them at least 24 hours between bathing and showing. They look awesome right after a bath, but after a few hours can go a bit fuzzy and flyaway. But our climate is a bit drier than yours - the humidity up there should help Oberon's stay non-fuzzy. (I hate trying to tame 'zoi coats in warm, dry winds!!)

But nevertheless, Boris is normally bathed the night before, and yes, wakes up with some morning hairstyley-bits... But a spritz with water - some conditioner added if you like, and brush/fluff the odd bits is usually plenty. I actually do this at the show, as he will scrumple up again a bit in the car or trailer anyway. If you find him a little damp, a little warm-up run around and another brush should see him right.

Another thing you might find usefu - if you haven't got it already - is potato flour. You can get it from vendors at shows, or online (I get it from Pet Network). If he gets a really wet bit - ie tips his water on himself just before a class, or needs a spot bath or emergency sponge-off (as he gets older - peeing on his fringes just before a class is a handy one... or an over-excited slightly runny poo into the trousers... :laugh:) you just brush it through the coat and it will dry it beautifully without making it harsh and stiff like powdered chalk.

pixie_meg, It was nice meeting you today ;) :o

oh that was you. funny how you meet people and then find out they're on DOL.

Oberon looked not so great. cant wait for his coat to grow back.

thanks everyone for the tips. we had a very staticky coat, couldn't seem to tame it. oh well.

I don't know if it will work for your breed but I use a coat on my goldie to help keep the fuzzys down. I bath and blowdry the day before and then in the morning I spray him with water and conditioner spray and then put a satin lined coat on him for an hour or so and then the hair sits down nicely.

I'll try anything to have a sleep in :o

pixie_meg, It was nice meeting you today ;) :o

oh that was you. funny how you meet people and then find out they're on DOL.

Oberon looked not so great. cant wait for his coat to grow back.

thanks everyone for the tips. we had a very staticky coat, couldn't seem to tame it. oh well.

try plush puppy's O.M.G grooming spray. Good for keeping static under control.