Need Advice

wings

You said your in the bush, have you got a well fenced yard?

Just throwing a frisbee or ball, would give her some exercise.

Maybe use a rabbit skin and use that for throwing and retrieveing.

Ive had a young kelpie as a rescue and know they are energy machines, but, most working dogs are tied up when they dont work. So they do handle no exercise.

I wish you luck.

your dog needs a lot of work to do not just exercise. To those who think a working kelpie is happy just running on a treadmill for a bit think again

I think give it back before the stock chasing habits and other ones stick, making it harder for the dog to find a new home. I think you're right in considering that prospects considering your circumstances and you are being totally fair to the needs of the dog :)

I dont think a kelpie or any dog would be happy just on a treadmill, but I;ve worked with heaps of kelpies and when not herding, which is often very fragmented except during shearing time, they are chilled out or happy just following around doing household 'tasks'..playing ball/frisbee, chewing a large bone... they love love to learn tricks too.

I think that the OPs dog is also at one of the most difficult stages, adolescence.. which IS a hard time in many energetic breeds. Often by the time they are mature, about 18 months to 2 years dependent on breed (vizsla , well, 10 years? LOL) they are incredibly wonderful andyou breathe a sigh of relief that all the hard work has paid off!!

I also have many friends who have them at home (average yard) without any problems at all and my viz is far more energetic.. I've had kelpies, BCs and cattle dogs who have not worked the farm and have a working line short hair BC still. My cousin has working line acd and kelpie too who do dog sports but apart from that no work.

I'd suggest flyball as the trainer does not need to 'move'. You can even do this at home, we've made our own jumps and 'box' to play with. It gives them stimulation and great exercise and is a lot of fun. :)

It's entirely up to the OP what she feels is best for both her and the dog.

I dont have an issue with rehoming especially if the previous owner is open to taking the dog back.

I do get heartbroken though over just how many working dogs/puppies are desperately looking for homes. :laugh:

Edited by Monah

Thank-you everyone, I know I keep saying that a lot but I really mean it. You've all given me a lot to consider! I come from a non-dog family so your help and support has really been valuable. I've also been extended some lovely offers of help that have actually made me a bit sniffly.

I'll be contacting her breeder just to see what our options are in that direction and I'll be having a real, honest think about the realities of our options. I've given myself the week to decide, it's a big and rather hard emotional choice and I want to make sure that I reach the one that is right for her.

Thank-you again! I'll certainly update here when I decide.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured it was time to give this an update.

After a lot of careful thinking over every option I decided to rehome my kelpie. A very tearful and heart wrenching choice but I think it will be for the best for both of us, she deserves so much more then what I can give her right now.

Sadly (or should I say typically?) the man who bred her will not take her back. A number of excuses but basically there went the support I thought I had!

I’m asking around hoping to find a local farm ready to bring on a young dog and I’ve dropped an enquiry with Australian Working Dog Rescue to see if they would have someone in a position to take her.

Any other ideas?

I don’t want this to drag on for months for both my dog and myself.

It's been pretty hard Monah :shrug:

I love her a lot and letting her go is really painful, but so much has changed from when I got her and I just don't think it's going to be fair on her to stay here. She's got such an active mind she needs to be properly challenged both mentally and physically. She'll make a great little working or sporting kelpie for someone and I think it would be selfish of me to prevent that when things are so wishy washy here.

Another update for everyone.

My kelpie is leaving this week to go on trial with a dairy farmer. He's ready to bring on another youngster and is happy to give her a go and see if she'll suit him and his dogs. If things don't work out then she'll come back and at least I'll know if she has what it takes for stock work.

Really upset but also crossing my fingers that this works out for her.

As I have along the way I'll keep you guys updated, and once again I will thank you all for your help. It's been a hard time for me and I've really appreciated the support.

• 1 month later...

Ok, final update and then I promise I won't keep bumping this up!

My pup, although I guess I can't say 'my' anymore, is staying with the farmer she went on trial with. She's showing every inch of her natural herding ability and is really getting to work her keen kelpie mind in the best possible way! When she's not working she gets to lounge on the furniture.

I still miss her, I still find myself looking for her watching me in the yard when I feed the horses! But I know that this has worked out for the best for both of us.

Thanks again DOL, your support and advice really helped me make the right call here. :)

I just want to say that I take my hat off to you for doing what was best for the dog, even though it was emotionally painful for you :hug: Sounds like she will be like a pig in the proverbial in her new home, and I hope you can take comfort in that :)

I loved the updates, thank you for letting us know how she is going. SHe sounds liek she has landed in Kelpie heaven. Kudos to you for putting her needs well before your own. If you get any more updates I for one would love to hear how she is going in the next chapter of her life.

What a good outcome for you and your dog. It isn't always so easy to find a home for a real working type.

Your kelpie must be very content now so you should feel glad you have done the best for your dog. I hope your circunstances turn out good as wel :)

What a tremendous outcome. Although you miss her (of course you would), it must fill your heart knowing how fulflled she would be and that on top of this, she still gets to have creature comforts.

Job well done.

And like OSoSwift, I enjoy updates as well. So often we have threads that begin as problems and we don't get to know the outcome. And it's lovely to read of happy endings.