Grooming Sprays For A 'spay' Coat

Diva

I am hoping some clever groomers can help with some advice please.

I have an older female Borzoi whose coat lost condition and it's silky texture after desexing some years ago. The older she gets, the harder her coat is to keep in good condition.

She is on the same diet as my 2 other female 'zoi, both of whom have coats in good condition.

Their coats rarely knot, hers knots and matts in 24 hrs.

I know the spay coat happens in several breeds (although I didn't when I had her desexed), are there any tips for preventing the matting?

I only use a water spray when brushing the other two, but I wonder if a different grooming spray might help her. She spends most of her time indoors, so something that doesn't leave too much of an oily residue would be preferred. I don't mind cutting the knots out, but if I miss even a day of brushing she has a potentially uncomfortable matt or two. The older she gets the more onerous she finds the grooming, and it takes twice as long to maintain her as it does both the other two combined. I've tried adding various oils to her diet but it made no difference.

Any ideas?

What do your groom her with??

Do you stripped out the dead coat ??

Most silicone style sprays are part of a maintenance routine & you need to wash it out .

You groom alot of spay coats & whilst they can knot more the tools can also make a big difference

I'm using a long pin pinbrush (Chris C), a wide tooth comb, and a Plushpuppy 'porcupine' bristle brush. Also a small soft slicker for where the coat is shorter on legs etc. I have a mars but have only found it useful when she is carrying a lot of undercoat, this time of the year she doesn't seem to have much undercoat. I brush her, she looks great, the next day she looks like an old unloved rug.

What would be the best tools Showdog? This is her - the photo is a couple of years old but it gives you an idea of her coat.

Rose.jpg

Edited by Diva

She still looks to have lots of dead coat,

The coat kings don't always seem to suit all coats.

I prefer using old blades (but not an option for everyone) have the best success in stripping spay coats out with them

Spray wise i like Crown Royal but like all things it is the painful trial & error method.

You could use a slick & easy stone to pull the dead coat but as you say the oldies can get grumpy

I do alot of stripping of coats whilst in the bath lathered up

I'm using a long pin pinbrush (Chris C), a wide tooth comb, and a Plushpuppy 'porcupine' bristle brush. Also a small soft slicker for where the coat is shorter on legs etc. I have a mars but have only found it useful when she is carrying a lot of undercoat, this time of the year she doesn't seem to have much undercoat. I brush her, she looks great, the next day she looks like an old unloved rug.

What would be the best tools Showdog? This is her - the photo is a couple of years old but it gives you an idea of her coat.

Rose.jpg

Gorgeous photo! :o

Thanks Showdog, I can try doing it the bath. She has an old leg injury that means she tends to lie down in the bath if I take too long but we can work around that. I've not used a slick and easy stone but I've googled them and will give it a go too. She's a dear old chook, I'm quite happy to try a few different things over a few weeks to see if we can strike something that is more effective than what we do now.

Edited: Thanks pf!

Edited by Diva

Have you tried to just pluck the hair from her head?

or weaving elastic bands through a comb and using the extra grip from that to get the dead coat out?

Yep, I do pluck that bit in the middle of her head, I just hadn't recently when she posed herself for that shot - mine never look their best when there is a camera handy, LOL. I hand pluck the fluff behind her ears too, but I do that for all 3 as it is the coat most likely to knot.

I haven't tried the the elastic band, I'll give that a go. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by Diva

Looks to me like she needs a good conditioner put through, and use something like Mink Oil, before you brush her through, Have had some good results with Plush Puppy "Reviva Coat" Just see how the coat comes up first before you start stripping out the coat. I would never use a coat king on that type of coat.

- mine never look their best when there is a camera handy, LOL.

:) I have the same problem.

How about Swishy Coat? Personally I don't think it's tremendous, but I know others who love it.

Edited by Clyde

Looks to me like she needs a good conditioner put through, and use something like Mink Oil, before you brush her through, Have had some good results with Plush Puppy "Reviva Coat" Just see how the coat comes up first before you start stripping out the coat. I would never use a coat king on that type of coat.

I condition when I bath her, but try not to do that too often. Usually use Laserlites protein treatment on her but will check out those 2 products, thanks.

Normally when I see a coat that dry I think diet, but supplements haven't helped and the other 2 on the same diet gleam.

- mine never look their best when there is a camera handy, LOL.

:laugh: I have the same problem.

How about Swishy Coat? Personally I don't think it's tremendous, but I know others who love it.

Worth a try, thanks!

You could try IOD No. 63 Detangle/Conditioning Mist, I haven't used it myself, but have heard good reports about it from others.

Another product that might help is LL Drape, I used to use it on one of my bitches who had a very heavy coat and it was excellent for keeping her coat tangle free.

Edited by Miranda

You could try IOD No. 63 Detangle/Conditioning Mist, I haven't used it myself, but have heard good reports about it from others.

Another product that might help is LL Drape, I used to use it on one of my bitches who had a very heavy coat and it was excellent for keeping her coat tangle free.

Thanks. I can probably get a sample of LL Drape from a friend who uses it to try before I buy. The IOD stand turns up at some local shows so will check out the mist.

I just ordered some pp coat revivia and also while on line spotted their coat rescue, so will try those on her first. Will also try stripping her while lathered up in the bath and pick up a slick and easy stone to use as per Showdogs suggestion.

By the time we are finished she'll be looking like a supermodel again, LOL. :rofl: I certainly won't be rushing out to get either of the others desexed, that's for sure!

Rose.jpg

:rofl: Rose :D

Will decant some Drape into a bottle for you, it works really well on Lucy's tail which can go a bit like straw after her seasons. One thing we recently learned about dry difficult coats from someone a lot more expert than us, you can make it worse with too much of the wrong conditioner as well as too little. Will pass on some of our Sekrit Shampoo and Conditioner too :laugh:

Have you tried Seabreeze Oil from Plush Puppy?

Yep. It doesn't seem to work with her coat, she ends up with oily residue but it doesn't help the matting.

You need to hook up with BMP (honourary Houndee) at a show Diva - those Havanese folk have got lots of products they'd probably recommend.

Good idea. :)

• 9 months later...