What Could This Be?

PoppyDog

Friends of ours have a BC who has this thing he does.

He will look up at lights and then pace....back and forth, around the table and back again, all while looking at the light and looking very anxious.

He does it with shadows too but not as much....

Any ideas on what the deal is???

Sounds like obsessive compulisve behaviour to me. Shadow and light chasing can become a big problem.

Mental stimulation, training and distraction methods are needed. The more they do it the harder the habit will be to break, I have known of people getting behaviourists in to assist them with managing the behaviour. A google of border collie shadow/light chasing will get quite a few hits to forums and pages discussing it.

BC's do have a tendancy to get fixated on moving objects. It may be the case that he sees an insect, etc. and is pacing/following its every move.

A friend also had this issue. The insects were usually that microscopic to us that noone could see what she was looking at, but she would litterally do backflips when she got in "the zone". Short training sessions at this point were the methods used to get her attention and focus it elsewhere. But definately don't allow the behaviour to continue.

sally had that issue with light glinting on the roof from the kitchen knives. it took a few weeks of discourgaing her for her to ignore them, she was starting to get really stressed whenever a knife was pulled out.

dont let the behaviour continue :)

Yep - definitely something to nip in the bus asap. As has been said, many BCs among other dogs are prone to become fixated - it becomes a real obsessive compulsive thing. One of mine was really fixing on the light reflected from my watch in the kitchen one day - as soon as I noticed, I took the watch off till the sun had moved :laugh: - seriously - taking no chances.

I wonder if your friends have ever used a laser pen light to play with this dog. These often cause light/shadow obsessions.

This is what I wondered too. Friends of ours did this to their dog thinking it was cute...until it became an obsession. Poor dog, was very stressed with chasing lights. I would definitely nip it in the bud, but if it's too late get a behavourist in, quick smart.