Share Your New Arrival Pics And Stories Here

Sooky

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know Bjelkier, Dante is just so elegant and composed (and cute at the same time). I think Barney would have to be the big dopey cousin.

Yay for Dantes toilet training!

Trust me he's not as elegant as he seems.

Last night he went major zoomies and looked very dopey. I just wish I had the camera out, it was so funny

Dandy, I will definitely try and get a video of Archie's high five and his other tricks! I love Razzle's wave. Very cute. I'm also trying to teach Archie 'leave it' based on the advice given here.

Wadz, yay for another Tassie member! How did you go with all the rain over the last few days? Our paddock was beginning to look more like a lake. And Archie had a few accidents during the rainy days. It seems he hates going outside to widdle. Holly is adorable. You should try and get a pic of her and the cat together. I want a cat eventually. :)

SmoothieGirl, congrats on the win! Ren has grown a lot since I last saw a pic. Getting closer in size to Bronte.

Dante and Barney are sooo cute. So fluffy. Sounds like they are both doing well with their training.

I'm still eagerly waiting for my 'Crate Games' dvd to arrive. I was hoping it would be here before the weekend. Doesn't look like it.

Time for a photo overload... I took some nice ones the other day and I couldn't pick one or two.

5621098376_982829364a.jpg 5621098868_1629234869.jpg

5621099462_87832f3948.jpg

5620511505_1c232781df.jpg 5620510917_2cb73797b2.jpg

This is Archie's best friend. Lucan the Rottweiler pup. Their birthdays are only a couple of days apart. When me friend and I take them to puppy school we have to train at opposite ends of the group or these two just get too distracted by each other.

5621100350_fafbee501a.jpg

5620511877_8318b6a1a5.jpg

Congrats to Ren, he is amazing as is your other Collie. I love the pic of them on the couch with the cat, too cute!

Barney and Dante are just so beautiful, looks like they are having heaps of fun being furry puppies.

Archie looks lovely and yeah great photos, how cute is the pic with his best friend Lucan.

Haha. Thanks Huga, I tried to make it a bit more subtle by changing the opacity of the action over a copy of the original photo.

I just made a huge list of tricks I would like to eventually teach Archie. I have ticked off a few already. We are working on leave it currently. Next up will be a good solid stay.

I need to desensitize him to the car as well. He gets motion sickness and I think that has put him off wanting to get into the car. I can't physically lift him into the car for much longer. Now I think the vomiting is not only 'caused by the motion sickness but anxiety of being in the car (which was originally caused by the vomiting). So a few short trips are needed. I have tried junket tablets but they don't seem to work. Also tried putting him on the floor of the car where he can't see out the window but my car is small and he will outgrow this method quickly even though it seems to work. Anyone else have pups with motion sickness?

Yes, Halo gets EXTREMELY car sick. She HATES the car and drools the entire time. I think it's anxiety now too. We've tried gingernut biscuits, junket, not feeding, have sat in the car with her and given her food in there, put her up high so she can see out the window, allow her to move around, restrain her... we're going to try peppermint oil next. We're heading to Mt Gambier for a show for Easter, so we're going to give her Phenergan so that she sleeps because if she's asleep she can't get stressed out. It's also used for travel sickness in humans, so it might help.

Ah car sickness in puppies, I have plenty of experience here, but few answers. Bronte was terribly car sick until she was about 10 months. No cures worked at all, but things were a tiny bit less messy if she wasn't feed before going in the car and I'm talking about a 6-8 hour gap. I tried everything, including prescribed drugs - yep she was that bad. Consequently I didn't travel her much as a youngster, it was just too traumatic for her.

Basically the change in Bronte was two fold, firstly she VERY slowly started to grow out of it, secondly I changed my car. I used to drive a small manual and I think the combination of the gear changing and the engine noise set her off. She would go green sitting in the running car in the driveway even if we didn't go anywhere. Collies have super sensitive hearing, so she appeared highly reactive to the noise. I changed to an auto, much bigger AWD car, wider tyres and a very quiet ride. She has never ever drooled in this car, let alone been sick, it was an instant change. Mind you, changing your car isn't something we're all able to do.

Ren gets a bit drooly sometimes and has been sick if he has a bit in his tummy, but not often. One thing with Ren is that he appears to get car sick if its warmer weather, probably because puppies can't properly regulate their temperature. We all know how we feel if we are a bit off colour and its warm - yucky. He's getting better though and I now don't feed him at all before he travels. However if he goes training, he is pretty good at keeping his training treats down on the way home and hasn't been sick for a few weeks now.

I did have some success with ginger biscuits with him, but now he won't eat them, I think he associates the biscuits with feeling queasy.

I'd suggest really really short trips on an empty tummy (around the block), with a lovely play session at the end of the trip, so he believes he has something to look forward to when he gets in the car. You could try ginger biscuits, works for some, not for others. Consider travelling him in a crate, it can add security, especially if it is positioned long ways in alignment with the direction of travel. If it is engine noise you could also consider cotton wool in his ears and I have heard of a snood being used around the ears to deaden the noise. Either way, try not to make a fuss if puppy is sick. Don't over soothe him either as they can take this as a worry cue.

If it gets really bad and you have to travel, you could speak to the vet about some anti nausea drugs. You may have better success with them than I did with Bronte.

Good luck and I love everyone's photos by the way.

Edited by SmoothieGirl

Guest Panzer Attack!

We keep Pootie in the boot of the car in his crate so he can't see out any windows and he's never been car sick. He's an incredibly zen traveller - probably due to the huge flight he had! I wish Archie was closer so I could smoosh his face, he is just divine.

Congrats to Ren! :o How awesome! Did you ever show Bronte or is he your first showie?

Hi everyone!

All your puppies are just adorable!

I recently got a pup, her name is Quinn, she is 10 weeks old today. She loves to play, is very food driven and loves following people around. She loves the cat and always wants to say hello to everyone. She's doing quite well with her training. She knows sit, drop and has an alright recall (if there is a cat to play with she normally ignores me). She also loves cuddles :thumbsup:

post-39088-1302957352_thumb.jpg

post-39088-1302957398_thumb.jpg

i hope you all like the pics :thumbsup:

Guest english.ivy
Hi everyone!

All your puppies are just adorable!

I recently got a pup, her name is Quinn, she is 10 weeks old today. She loves to play, is very food driven and loves following people around. She loves the cat and always wants to say hello to everyone. She's doing quite well with her training. She knows sit, drop and has an alright recall (if there is a cat to play with she normally ignores me). She also loves cuddles :thumbsup:

post-39088-1302957352_thumb.jpg

post-39088-1302957398_thumb.jpg

i hope you all like the pics :thumbsup:

Quinn is adorable :thumbsup: What breed is she?

Your user name has tripped me out, very rare to find someone with Chelsea spelt with a Y. Was going to send you a Private Message but not sure you know how to access it.

PA, Ren is my first show dog, although I don't handle him in the ring, his breeder does. I stick to dog sports as far as handling goes.

Bronte is very smart, but she is far far from show dog quality and is desexed. Little Ren has brains and looks luckily, so hopefully as well as dog sports we may also be able to get his Aust Ch., but we'll see how it goes, no issue if it doesn't happen.

Guest english.ivy
english.ivy:

yes im very new to this! i dont even know how to quote someone! And yes my name is weird :) you would have to blame my mum for that, she also named my brother with a Y (Jayson)

My little Quinn is a Border Collie X Kelpie.

Not weird, cool. My name is spelt the same :)

Where in WA are you? I'm 45km north of the city.

Guest Panzer Attack!

Ohhh Tess is so cute it's unreal. I love her so much. Congrats on her (and your :thumbsup:) win!

Today is Scooter's first day at home. Due to the high risk nature of my work (I manage a grooming salon in a busy pet store), our vet and I made the executive decision to give him his 12 weeks vaccination a few days early. He's due on Good Friday (typical dog!!) but he had it yesterday. So as I'm getting home early today (4pm), I decided to leave him at home to develop some immunity and see how he goes by himself. He's been very good this morning, weed on his pad, pooped outside (!!!) and we had a nice session of fetch/tug in the lounge room. He's got some kibbles, three toys, a very hard bone with no meat left on it and some water in his puppy pen. I'll duck back in to check on him at lunch time - the joys of working a 10 minute walk away from the house!

I'm a bit worried about him, but very excited :laugh:

Here are some pics taken yesterday after his vomiting episode. I thought he was gonna die he was throwing up so much :thumbsup:

Sitting for a toy, probably:

217379_10150164220477758_642812757_6850115_7781050_n.jpg

His tiny toy collection :)

207870_10150164220287758_642812757_6850113_1807091_n.jpg

Fwuffy after a bath :3

216514_10150164220392758_642812757_6850114_6429637_n.jpg

E xx

PS: he's already got adult teefies coming thru! He's not even 12 weeks old! At least that explains why he tries to eat me all the time. lol.

Thanks for all the input about the car sickness. We had our first trip to puppy school without ANY vomiting on Sunday. The difference is that I had Archie on the floor of the car so he couldn't see out the window and I made a quick stop in the middle of the trip. It is our longest trip each week and I was really amazed he wasn't sick. Just a lot of drooling. He has learnt to lay down while I'm driving. But I think I just got lucky that time.

Welcome to Quinn! She's so cute. :cry:

Congrats to Tess and Ren on their wins.

Poor Scooter. Why did he have a vomiting episode? I love his fluffy photo. I bathed Archie tonight. I love it when his whites and white and his black is nice and shiny. It doesn't last long though.

My OH is away 5 days a week at uni (long distance) and I find that Archie is generally more hyperactive when OH is at home. Where as if it is just me and Archie, Archie tends to be a lot calmer? I wonder why? Maybe when OH comes home it throws Archie out of routine. Or maybe Archie is so excited that he is home, that his excitement lasts all weekend.

Also, he is finally sleeping through the whole night! :thumbsup: