Dog Howling

Do you have any strange or new noises in the nieghbourhood???? Sirens or music or something weird like that???

I had an electronic timer go off in the house the other day and our ridgeback started howling at it!!!! Weird thing is shes never done it before :rofl:

Not to my knowledge? :D

Is it possible there are new neighbours or a new business around that has something emitting a new high pitched sound that is setting him off?

Again, not to my knowledge.

Is it possible there are new neighbours or a new business around that has something emitting a new high pitched sound that is setting him off?

Is he on his own outside? Dogs are pack animals.....perhaps he's lonely...I'd be howling too if I was on my own outside all day long :)

He is outside alone, but has been alone since he was a puppy and it has never been an issue. He is well and truly used to it and a very indepedent, snobby, aloof type dog.

Is he on his own outside? Dogs are pack animals.....perhaps he's lonely...I'd be howling too if I was on my own outside all day long :champagne:

Just want to mention that I used to have one dog, many many years ago. Did not give it any thought. One day hubby thought of getting another dog, so they could keep each other company. Well, it gave our dog a new wonderful life, I'd never seen him happier and I would never ever have a single dog again, not unless it could be with me all day. But I also want to say, I am not having a go at you for having an outside single dog. Alot of people do....just food for thought, cos its true, it is possible he could be lonely.

Again, if he is truly lonely, why after 4 years? He wouldn't have liked it from the get go.....

Anyone in your area taken up the bagpipes? That'll do it.

At what time of day is the howling occuring?

Mainly at night and early morning. Although yesterday he was also howling at around 5pm.

Bitch in season?

One of your neighbours installing one of those high pitched ultrasonic pest repellers?

An odd noise which he can hear but your eats are not picking up as it is far away? - sirens, music, horns, other dogs howling?

I'm leaning towards bitch in season, as there are not other noticeable changes in my area.

My neighbours dog howls when he's home alone (which is pretty much all the time). I read on DOL that howling is a dogs way of looking for its other pack members by communicating over long distances. Is he howling when a member of your household leaves? Perhaps he's trying to call them.

ETA My neighbours dog, like yours, has always been an outside dog. He lives with no other dogs and is used to being outside. He's 9 years old and only started howling a few years ago. Before that there was never a peep out of him. Now he howls all the time, poor thing he has a terrible life and is depressed.

Not saying your dog is depressed though! :rofl: Just that dogs can all of a sudden start howling.

Edited by Mim

He didn't howl all night...I was like sweet it's over.

Then at 6am, he started howling. Not for long, maybe a minute. So he is still howling but less....I listened for strange noises, other dogs, couldn't hear a thing!

If there is a bitch on heat...I hope she is out of season soon.

My girl will howl when she hears 'Crows', so have a listen when your dog starts to howl and see if you can hear anything that might be triggering it.

Yep I agree. One of my dogs starts up a chorus at about 3am. She's joining in with a couple of night birds.

Someone learning to play bagpipes even makes me howl :thumbsup: Lived next door to a bagpipe teacher when I was a kid.

My ETTs howled when music had mouthorgans being played.

Someone learning to play bagpipes even makes me howl :laugh: Lived next door to a bagpipe teacher when I was a kid.

My ETTs howled when music had mouthorgans being played.

Missed this, my son on his first birthday was given a Harmonica from a family friend and it causes the dogs to howl. I guess I'll have to get him a triangle :thumbsup: as the Harmonica is out of reach because of the dogs.