Electric Fencing... Or Another Option?

SalTheGal

Our 11mnth old Cocker has just learnt how to "climb" our fence to get out of the backyard.

We are on 6acres out in the bush, with an enclosed yard of around 1acre... where she spends her days while we are at work.

We have a waste high chicken wire/wooden frame fence, and we chose her because we wanted a breed that would stay small enough not to jump the fences- which she can't do, but she has learnt how to scale them.

This has only happened in the last couple of weeks, when she started coming out the front when I was leaving for work... we've resorted to tying her up during the day :thumbsup: till we find a solution.

Last week she got out after I left for the day, and we are just lucky that we live in a great neighborhood where everyone looks out for each other and someone picked her up. But knowing she was out there I just felt absolutely SICK with worry. :( :(

I've been looking into electric tape to run along the top of the fence... just for long enough for her to get the idea that she can't get past it... my husband wants to try the hidden wire that works with the collar?

Both options I would hope would be only used for a short term.

The only time she ever gets out is when I am leaving, she is my baby.... and I'm not sure how we could 'train' her not to follow me? If anyone has any other suggestions I would be most appreciative! She has been a very hard to train puppy too... so anything new takes some time for her to pick up.

TBH I feel sick about resorting to electricity, but I HATE having her tied up during the day too.... and its not realistic for us to change fencing in the immediate future (and idieally we don't want to at all as we don't want to have to build up a big fence to shut out the beautiful bush we are amidst).

Any advice, reassurance about the use of electricity, or suggestions most appreciated.

I've been looking into electric tape to run along the top of the fence... just for long enough for her to get the idea that she can't get past it... my husband wants to try the hidden wire that works with the collar?

In most instances, out of the two I prefer the tape. It is visual (which I think can prove to be less stressful from the early outset) and it means the dog doesn't have to be wearing a collar for it to work.

BUT .... it's the placement of the tape that needs careful thought. I wouldn't put it on top of the fence because once she's there, one of two things will happen : she'll either career over to the other side with the sheer surprise of it, or career backwards with the sheer surprise of it.

I'd be inclined to position the tape where she is first likely to touch it and before she's done a launch.

You need to also be careful not to place it so that she can get herself caught between the tape and the fence - consider this if you were thinking about off-setting it from the fence.

Oh - and I didn't think to look at where you reside before I began this post, so you need to check what the laws are in respect to the use of electric fencing for dogs.

And use the fence unit at the lower amp than you would for horses or cattle.

I've been 'punched' by an electric fence. My Dad didn't "feel sick" for me ......... he laughed. The sensation lasted for a split second. And I lived. With no scars. But I was very careful about leaning near fencing without first checking for electric fences since :thumbsup:.

Thanks so much for your reply Erny!!

Thats what my thinking has been re the visibility of the tape, vs the hidden wire/collar... that she will associate the zap with the tape that she touches.

Make complete sense re the positioning, I don't really know much about how it all works, would it electrify the whole fence if we were to weave it through the chicken wire so she gets it low down.... or I guess we could run it slightly out from the fence so that she hits it before she gets to the fence. The only issue there is I have two young children who might interfere with it... and if it was out from the fence I'd probably not want to leave it there long term.

I've been punched by a electric tape too... and your right, its not that big a deal, and I keep telling myself its better than a car out on the road... but still makes me feel guilty doing this to her!

Build her a secure run with a roof.

That way you know she is safe when you are not there.

Definitely something we are talking about :thumbsup: ... but in the short term, we have neither the time or the money to do it properly....

I live on an acre, I have an electric fence around the boundry but all my dogs are locked up in runs when we are not home. That way I know they are safe and sound and will still be there when I get home. Our runs are built of a small shed. The shed has hammock beds inside, so out of the weather and safe.

I was at a horse show near a chicken farm once. There was a rottie pup with us and he walked over to the fence while we were talking nearby. Next thing we hear this almighty noise and it was the pup. He seemed unhurt but he got a fright.

Someone nearby pointed out the fence was wired for foxes/dogs.-- there is a small silver wire at about 10cm from the ground which is electric. I supose there are some higher too.

Hopefully some country DOL folk can give more advice but electric fences can work. Can't the batteries in the collar containment system go flat as well?

A waist high fence isn't that high so hopefully you can find some means to keep your pup safe. Good luck.

would it electrify the whole fence if we were to weave it through the chicken wire so she gets it low down....

Yes it would - and probably nothing much would happen as it would be shorting. Use outriggers to set the tape out from the wire and make sure the tape isn't touching anything like heavy bushes, tree trunks, lots of long grass.

The only issue there is I have two young children who might interfere with it...

They'll only touch it once :thumbsup:

I keep telling myself its better than a car out on the road... but still makes me feel guilty doing this to her!

Doing what? keeping her safe at home? She will very likely only challenge the fence once, get zapped and not do it again. Better than getting into fox bait or being knocked into a ditch by a car and dying an agonising and slow death.

Edited by Sandra777

Law in Vic re electric fences:

Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Regulations 2008 - SECT 12

Electric fences

12. Electric fences

A person may use an electric fence if it complies with the following

specifications-

(a) the electric current travels through a wire; and

(b) the electric fence is installed so that an animal is able to move away

and avoid contact with the wire that is carrying the electric current.

My dogs were digging their way out under the fence, so we brought an electric fence and put it about 40cms off the ground onto our existing fence. All the dogs have been zapped by it at least once, but they've survived and now they just don't go near that white line. We've had it up for 2 years now and neither dog goes near the fence. I have 2 young kids too, so I took them out when we first got the fence and got them to touch it with the back of theirs hand so they know about it, without having them grab it.

Make sure it's low enough so she is still touching the ground when she contacts the wire, so the current earths.

When you want to check that it's working, use a long stalk of grass.....absorbs some of the energy :thumbsup:

I would go with the wire option, so it's more aesthetically appealing and once you see she is well and truly wary of the fence then you can remove the current. Plus wire is cheap and if she is clever then you could do two or three strands for piece of mind. Check out your local produce store for plastic star pickets.

http://www.gallagher.com.au/portable-fence...?mktprodid=1108

would it electrify the whole fence if we were to weave it through the chicken wire so she gets it low down.

You can NOT safely/effectively weave the tape thru a wire fence. the fence needs proper fittings - with poles/ insulators etc . Ideally , it should be placed 30 cm or so inside the boundary fence .. so she comes in contact with it while she is standing ..and where it is safe for her to run away :)

a`waist high fence is not much obstacle to any dog :thumbsup: Whether they are going out, or coming in!! Don't forget , if a baby like her can climb out - other dogs who may not be friendly can jump/climb IN ...and a dog tied up is defenceless :( :(

Please make her a temporary run .. look in freecycle or weekly times for an old bird aviary ..buy compost wire panels from bunnings, and some pavers so she cannot dig under ..ANYTHING . Or - clean out your laundry/shed and leave her in there :) Getting tangled in a chain is a possibility if the setup is not done well .

edit to clarify

Edited by persephone

I had an electric wire set up when I lived on an acre to keep the dogs in. Had it 4 strings high so 2 sides acted as the fence and 2 sides were attached to the exsiting fence. We put a gate in it on one of the sides and it worked well. Even kept the goat in too. Worked well and was the best $300 ever spent!

I used an electric fence when I lived on acreage and it worked well. Just a comment about the wire you're using, chicken wire is not really suitable for containing dogs, it will eventually give way if a dog continually jumps up or puts pressure on it.

Our electric fence is chest high to our dogs. One of ours used to jump the internal fences after rabbits, a couple of hits from the fence and she no longer goes there. Our youngest female just had her first zap the other day, she now will not go up to the fence line. We do not have it on all the time, only when we think they need a reminder. Oh our pups have to be at least 5 months old before we let them near it.