Squeaky Toy In The Ring - Show Update!

Inevitablue

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever works for your dog :p :(

I agree with that (on a GSD Specialty Ring level but All Breeds is different).

You shouldn't use anything that is deemed to be detrimental to other dogs in the ring as common courtesy.

:p

ETA: if you're in the ring with several other exhibits and you're sqeaking your toy and it's putting other dogs off then I don't feel it's a good idea. We then come across the argument of your own dog shouldn't be bothered by other toys etc but the reality is that if you have a dog that's sqeaky toy mad then there's obviously going to be some unhappy exhibitors.

JMHO

Edited by Aziah

I accept your opinion, however throwing bait around, dropping it in the ring can

also distract other competitors aswell

when using a sqeeky toy I would expect you would go to town with it!

Lol...just a squeak to get the dogs attention, for most toy driven dogs that all that would be needed

ETA - I am not speaking from a specialty point of view either, I show all breeds aswell, bait doesn't work for my dogs, squeeky toy a different story...I haven't used a squeeky toy in the ring before, but I would consider trying it :(

Edited by Pockets

I accept your opinion, however throwing bait around, dropping it in the ring can

also distract other competitors aswell

when using a sqeeky toy I would expect you would go to town with it!

Lol...just a squeak to get the dogs attention, for most toy driven dogs that all that would be needed

I'm not a bait chucker :( but there are lots of them :p

I think you can use whatever you please providing you're mindful of other exhibits, how's that?

:p

Thanks guys. Have been using bait at show training, but she pricks her ears and really stands to attention (muscles flexed in preparation for toy to be thrown) for a squeak.

Its a tiny little squeak that I want to use after her individual workout, and if I have enough space around me, maybe when she is stacked. I certainly wont go to town with it because otherwise I will have my own dog bouncing around like a cat on a hot tin roof.

It is only a baby puppy class but we need all the help we can get! especially when in the past week she has decided her gums are too sore to show anyone but Luci her teeth :)

Thanks guys. Have been using bait at show training, but she pricks her ears and really stands to attention (muscles flexed in preparation for toy to be thrown) for a squeak.

Its a tiny little squeak that I want to use after her individual workout, and if I have enough space around me, maybe when she is stacked. I certainly wont go to town with it because otherwise I will have my own dog bouncing around like a cat on a hot tin roof.

It is only a baby puppy class but we need all the help we can get! especially when in the past week she has decided her gums are too sore to show anyone but Luci her teeth :)

Good luck and don't push her teeth don't want her to get hurt then be mouth shy.

no idea on the squeaky but i have considered it, mayeb you can trian it outside ring so she will see it in your hand and give you the attention the same in anticipation?

Luci suggested teaching her a word which she associates with a toy about to be thrown, but that wont be established and proofed before sunday. Its a great idea though and I will be working on it.

lol....'reckon I could spray the judges hands with Aerogard prior to mouth examination??? :) (joking)

Edited by Jakemon

Luci suggested teaching her a word which she associates with a toy about to be thrown, but that wont be established and proofed before sunday. Its a great idea though and I will be working on it.

lol....'reckon I could spray the judges hands with Aerogard prior to mouth examination??? :) (joking)

lol can you get your trainer to show how to slide lips up adn show mouth yourself?

do you normally have competition in the ring? as she is only a baby it may not be a big deal but check that its ok before doing it :laugh:. try thowing a leaf or something to get the attention :mad

just read your clothes thread is it your first show? jsut tell the judge and steward and tell judge she is teething and her mouth is sore,they are normally pretty crusiey with babies

I once took a Toy fox in the ring for a baby , it had squeekers in it but it was just the sight of it that got him going, at the finish of his individual i let him carry it out of the ring, the judge and the steward couldnt stop laughing, my baby thought he was just soooooo good strutting out with his " Kill " he went on that day to Baby in Group,,, him AND his Toy :)

Dont think a judge would think the same if an Adult dog did the same.....i let babies be babies and in the ring should be fun :mad , i'm alway's on the look out for what " Switches " my fur babies on .... nothing worse than going to a show and realising you have left the toy of the minute at home, you go into the ring with a bored stiff baby and NOTHING will fire them up , not even food :laugh:

just read your clothes thread is it your first show? jsut tell the judge and steward and tell judge she is teething and her mouth is sore,they are normally pretty crusiey with babies

Yup, I did that last week and the judge said that it was okay, and got me to open Halo's mouth myself.

I use a squeeky when mine is the only dog in the ring for the breed classes, but for breed or if I make it to BIG then I just pretend I have something in my hand, mine are too silly to know the difference :o

With my baby psychopath I put a squeaker in my waistband... I look like an idiot poking myself to squeak, but it's not an over the top sound just enough to get her attention.

I also tried last week to bait her in a practice stack before we went into the ring and then just used my hand and pretended to have bait in the ring (she gets a bit stupid over actual food in the ring)... it seemed to work a treat.