Kennel Blindness

everyones opinion can be a great teaching tool .

Whether you agree or not it always makes you think which is a good thing.

Hmm, but if the opinion is that because it came from Kennel 1 it's crap and because it came from Kennel 2 it's wonderful, how useful is that?

Ask them to explain why, if they have valid reasons they should be able to tell you what they do or don't like about each kennel/dog.

There is not point in saying because I said so, ask them to back it up. Either put up or shut up I say. :laugh:

I'm too critical of my dogs, it is handy to sometimes have a kennel blind person to remind you of their good points too!

I am the same with my own dogs and often regret later on for pet homing what I thought was a mediocre pup/young dog.

As far as other breeders kennels go, I judge each dog on its on merits before looking at a pedigree, if I like the dog I will then look at what dogs are in its lines to see if there is consistancing or if that dog was just a fluke :laugh:

I always tell people not to ask me what I think of their dog/s if they don't want to hear the truth.

If it is only a pup I will say what good points I can see at that age but anything can happen as the pup develops.

Leanne

Mary Roslin Williams in her book "Reaching For the Stars" discusses an interesting system for 'grading up' a line and ensuring you are always keeping the dogs faults as well a virtues in mind. It gives some interesting practical advice for those looking to maintain smaller numbers but still improve on their dogs. I found a lot of 'food for thought' in what she writes.

Mary Roslin Williams in her book "Reaching For the Stars" discusses an interesting system for 'grading up' a line and ensuring you are always keeping the dogs faults as well a virtues in mind. It gives some interesting practical advice for those looking to maintain smaller numbers but still improve on their dogs. I found a lot of 'food for thought' in what she writes.

:laugh: for the recommend :o

everyones opinion can be a great teaching tool .

Whether you agree or not it always makes you think which is a good thing.

Hmm, but if the opinion is that because it came from Kennel 1 it's crap and because it came from Kennel 2 it's wonderful, how useful is that?

Ask them to explain why, if they have valid reasons they should be able to tell you what they do or don't like about each kennel/dog.

There is not point in saying because I said so, ask them to back it up. Either put up or shut up I say. :laugh:

Yep agree .some will apply the easy answer some wont.

I now a few who have bitched about "said" dogs blah blah without having a clue about pedigrees & history because some idiot said its from that kennel & we should all jump together.

Any conversation is a learning tool especially if it points out that some are bigger fools than others :o

Sounds like a very interesting read.

Leanne

Sounds like a very interesting read.

Just looked it up online and it's also a bit of an expensive read :(

If any locals have a copy I can borrow I promise I'll take good care of it.

Sometimes it is more polite and easier to nod and agree than disagree.

I think everyone gets a little bit kennel blind at some point in time. How bad and how long they remain kennel blind is a different matter entirely.

Everyone's opinion can have both merit and no value to others.

I def think knowing and acknowleging your own dogs faults is a start. I too, am super critical of my dogs. I need to be - I have a minority breed so improving what I have is imperative.

Also being able to take criticism from fellow breeders helps along with being open and honest.

I have longtime friends with another breed who know exactly which of their dogs I like and don't like. They often ask for my input when looking at pups to run on or dogs to purchase to improve their kennels AND have taken my advice .....to me they are not kennel blind.

I also believe in neutering/speying if a dog does not produce on - no point perpetuating mediocrity.......