Rough And Cracked Nose

Hi,

My elkhound has developed a rough nose which is getting a little cracked. There is no discoloration.

When I noticed it I tried to think back on what could have changed and I remmebered that we got him a really fancy bowl on his birthday (end October) which is made of FDA approved plastic. Previously we always used ceramic bowls. Could this have caused the rough nose?

I have now put him back on the ceramic bowl. However, if this is the cause, how long would it take him to get better? The cracks are quite tiny. There is no bleeding. I have also been using vaseline.

Do I need to see a vet for this?

I would use Paw Paw Ointment instead of vaseline. And if you rub whatever remains on your hands under his chin or to some other part of his body he can get at, as soon as you've finished applying to the nose, it can help to take his attention away from licking it off his nose - at least until it has had SOME time to do some good.

Not sure about the answers to your other questions. At a guess, I'd probably watch over the week to see whether it is improving or getting worse and allow that to dictate whether I'm on the right track or whether you need a Vet.

Something else to consider is the cooler weather we are having. I didn't look to see what State you live in, but is it possible you've starting cranking the heater at night times in recent times and perhaps this is leading to dryness of the nose ??

One of my GSDs gets this - I find snipping the end of a vitamin E capsule and rubbing it into her nose, twice a day, clears it up quickly. She hates it and licks it off when I'm not looking but I figure it helps while its on the outside and does no harm on the inside either!

I would use Paw Paw Ointment instead of vaseline. And if you rub whatever remains on your hands under his chin or to some other part of his body he can get at, as soon as you've finished applying to the nose, it can help to take his attention away from licking it off his nose - at least until it has had SOME time to do some good.

Ooh thanks for the tip there Erny, Tess has a raw patch either side of her nose, and Im trying to work out how to stop her licking the paw paw off

Ooh thanks for the tip there Erny, Tess has a raw patch either side of her nose, and Im trying to work out how to stop her licking the paw paw off

That, and feed her dinner immediately after applying the Paw Paw.

It doesn't always work, or only works in part, but it might assist at least a little bit.

That, and feed her dinner immediately after applying the Paw Paw.

It doesn't always work, or only works in part, but it might assist at least a little bit.

Thanks Erny. I've started putting paw paw cream on his nose. I don't have the heating on so that couldn't have caused it. However, this year in summer we installed AC and the dogs sleep in our bedroom. Could this have been caused by the cooling?

Thanks Erny. I've started putting paw paw cream on his nose. I don't have the heating on so that couldn't have caused it. However, this year in summer we installed AC and the dogs sleep in our bedroom. Could this have been caused by the cooling?

I don't know, but I guess it could be possible. Maybe that combined with the plastic bowl ??? (I think you said something about that in your first post.) It needn't be just one thing. But one way to find out will be to take note how her nose goes the next time around you use the AC for a stretch. But of course you need to get her nose back to normal first anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, but I guess it could be possible. Maybe that combined with the plastic bowl ??? (I think you said something about that in your first post.) It needn't be just one thing. But one way to find out will be to take note how her nose goes the next time around you use the AC for a stretch. But of course you need to get her nose back to normal first anyway.

Update on the nose. I've been putting paw paw cream and it's healing really well. The cracks are all gone. The skin is still rough but looks significantly better. Thank you so much for the advice.

I would definitely avoid plastic bowls, glass or stainless steel are best.

A very simple and easy way to deal with a cracked nose it using some Labello. Obviously not a flavoured one. I am using that on my dogs nose and lips, if they get cracked or very dry and it does not matter, if they lick it.

If you are too concerned about that Olive oil is always very good for dry skin.

Dagmar