What's In A Name?

Hi all,

In about 10 weeks' time I'll be bringing home my new Aussie Terrier pup and I'm still no closer to finding a name (I usually have a few narrowed down by this point). The litters haven't been born (1st litter is one and a half weeks away) so I'm not 100% sure what gender I'll be getting. A female is my preference but I'm just waiting to see.

I love to use mythologies as a basis for my pets' names -- so far I've got Calypso (cat) and Zeus (dog) and I was hoping to keep this theme going but am open to other suggestions. Names have always been a weak point for me and even Zeus didn't like what I'd picked out. He was going to be Loki (Loh-key), the Norse God of mischief, which would've suited him down to the ground, however, he refused to answer to it and so he became Zeus.

The names on my "maybe" list are as follows:

Boys:

• Loki (I really love this name and am determined to use it one day!!)
  • Odin
  • Thor
  • Pooka
  • Balder/Baldur (courtesy of fuzzy82)

Girls:

• Freya
  • Vali
  • Ilyia (Eel-ee-ah)
  • Leto
  • Leda
  • Maia/Maya
  • Koko
  • Nari
  • Kala
  • Lani
  • Halia (Hawaiian: remembrance of a loved one)
  • Kiana
  • Keiki (Kay-ee-key) or (Kay-key) (Hawaiian: child)
  • Kanani (Hawaiian: beautiful)
  • Kana
  • Kiki
  • Vivi
  • Tippie/Tippi/Tippy (from Disney's Fluppy Dogs)
  • Binka
  • Kyrie/Kirrie

Not all of the above are from mythologies but I've selected them because I love how they sound and how they roll of the tongue.

What do you all think? Are there any stand-out names and if so, which ones?

Also I'm happy for any other suggestions! :o

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

Isn't Loki spelt Loke?

At least that is the native spelling for it. I like that name, I also like Balder/Baldur (not on your list but I like it). For girls I think Freya might be a bit overused, so personally I wouldn't use it. I like it though. I also like Vali, don't really like any of the others, they seem a bit.... commonly used.

:o

don't really like any of the others, they seem a bit.... commonly used.

Not sure about where you live, but down at my local park, I can't say I've heard too many people shouting out the names Halia, Kiana, Keiki, and Kanani :o

RiverStar-Aura, I like Ilyia and Nari for a girl :o

Isn't Loki spelt Loke?

I like that name, I also like Balder/Baldur (not on your list but I like it). For girls I think Freya might be a bit overused, so personally I wouldn't use it. I like it though. I also like Vali ...

It might be spelled "Loke" but I figured I'd change it to "Loki" otherwise I'd have people pronounding it "lowk" or something utterly ridiculous! Balder/Baldur is cool for a boy so I'll add it to my list and I was thinking the same about Freya (and I also wasn't sure I really liked it much).

Vali I think is cute!

RiverStar-Aura, I like Ilyia and Nari for a girl :o

You've picked out two of my favourites RubyStar, Ilyia's been slowly creeping towards the top of my list!

Loki is the correct spelling.

Be careful what you wish for, however. You would not want a dog that lived up to that name!!! The boldness and intelligence part is apt enough for the breed, but the trickster evil prankster part is rather undesirable.

I like some of the tribal names for the Rainbow Serpent for a bitch. There are as many names as there are Aboriginal languages for this earth mother, but the one I like best is Waagal (alternative spellings are Wogal, Wagyl, Waugal).

I like this especially because any Aussie Terrier bitch is a Waggy Gal, all right!!! :o

For a male, how about Karora, the Bandicoot god from Northern Arrente people??? I also like Cooee as a name, although it won't fit the god theme.

With my last litter, I had a puppy person buy a little bitch of me & a little male of another Aussie breeder at the same time..she ended up calling them Dusty & Nellie after Slim Dusty & Dame Nellie Melba.. I love the Australian themed names for an Aussie terrier. :)

because its an Aussie and because you were thinking myths, I thought what about Aboriginal mythology.

And so i googled and I was quite amazed when I actually came across a site for names of dogs based on Aboriginal "gods and goddesses" !!!

here it is:

aboriginal names

I like Wuluwaid and Bahloo :)

Loki is the correct spelling.

Be careful what you wish for, however. You would not want a dog that lived up to that name!!! The boldness and intelligence part is apt enough for the breed, but the trickster evil prankster part is rather undesirable.

:):rofl::)

I can laugh at that... i own a dog called Kaos :) My next dog is going to be Angel, or something gentle and nice...

I am with you on the theme, I had a Zeus when I got my Bull Terrier, I wanted strong names that fitted in with each other, so called him Atlas :)

Im pretty bad with names, i have my next girls name picked out, but it usually takes me a while to name them!

Great suggestions everyone, although I'm very tempted to use the name "Oi" because it's very Aussie.

I have fallen in love with the idea of using Aboriginal names so I've been researching some and have found some to be quite lovely:

• Akala: parrot
  • Arika: waterlily
  • Kaiya: type of spear (sounds pretty though)
  • Kala: fire
  • Kirra: a leaf
  • Kora: a companion (this has become my favourite name so far)
  • Merri: a stone
  • Miah: the moon
  • Kyrra/Kyrrah: magpie
  • Lira: wren
  • Yani: peaceful
  • Minya: small

And I'm never calling a dog Bruce! :thumbsup:

Aussie Tees are such fantastic dogs Nik ... can I ask why you moved on to the Aussie sheps? Do you find yourself ever wanting another AT?

Ned Kelly is a cute name too, but I'd end up calling him Ned. Our very first AT was called Brutus and biy did that name suit him! :)

Aussie Tees are such fantastic dogs Nik ... can I ask why you moved on to the Aussie sheps? Do you find yourself ever wanting another AT?

Ned Kelly is a cute name too, but I'd end up calling him Ned. Our very first AT was called Brutus and biy did that name suit him! :)

I'd love another Aussie terrier one day... when I have acreage maybe! When I see one in the street I always have to stop and chat to the owner :)

When I met my husband he had a border collie x kelpie and I fell in love with the herding breeds. I wanted a dog for obedience and possibly agility, and also one that didn't nick off when the gate was opened like our last Aussie terrier Lucy used to! And no dog could ever be like my old Kelly-boy. He was 17 when he crossed the bridge.

willdogs.jpg

Photo with my eldest son (now a 10yo!) And yes, both our dogs had the same name!