Irwin The Paralysed Kangaroo

SkySoaringMagpie

I disagree with the treatment of this disabled kangaroo. It seems to me like exploitation. That said, I would like to point out that some of the language being used in this thread to describe a person with a mental illness is insensitive and unnecessary.

It is worthwhile remembering that our audience is always larger than it seems. Other DOL members have mental illnesses or loved ones that do, and may find what you say to be hurtful.

If you are refering to my comment it was not aimed at her mental health it was a general comment about someone who thinks it is appropriate to treat an animal like that and I think it should be considered animal cruelty

Edited by millbrooksprings

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, I've been involved in the industry in a variety of capacities since the early 80's and have observed totally different practice from professional shooters.

ETA bottom line is most people are appalled to know where beef, lamb, pork, chicken, fish eggs or milk comes from too. A teenager we know often becomes a vegetarian for a few hours until tea is served, he finds the concept of coming to stay on a property knowing who our meat comes from and how they lived and died a little overwhelming. However meat from supermarkets is fine because they weren't "real" animals.... go figure.

Edited by KatrinaM

Funny, I've been involved in the industry in a variety of capacities since the early 80's and have observed totally different practice from professional shooters.

ETA bottom line is most people are appalled to know where beef, lamb, pork, chicken, fish eggs or milk comes from too. A teenager we know often becomes a vegetarian for a few hours until tea is served, he finds the concept of coming to stay on a property knowing who our meat comes from and how they lived and died a little overwhelming. However meat from supermarkets is fine because they weren't "real" animals.... go figure.

Totally off topic to this news story. If you feel so strongly about it then maybe you need to make another thread. And this is not saying I agree nor disagree with your thoughts, just needs to be done elsewhere.

I also have been involved in the industry ..supplying both pet and human consumption , and will only say that if roos are being wounded, and joeys starved, then the shooters should have their licences revoked if professional, and just be horsewhipped if hoons.

This poor roo can not even scratch himself or make himself comfortable easily ... he can not feel the joy of his muscles working as he leaps .. and he can not even toilet properly.

That's being kept 'safe' ? Fine .

having a friend who took up roo harvesting/roo shooter. went out with them for a week. ye gads. had nightmares for years.

every shot landed just behind n slightly below the ear. clean kill every time. n im talking hundreds.

only once did they accidently hit one with a joey in the pouch and it was tiny. and put down immediatly.

the realisation what these men could do if they went nutters like the strathfield massacre scared me witless.

as for why do they cull.

most of the stations we went through there were more roos per paddock than sheep.

no wonder the farmers are having it tough, in the droughts its even worse. plant crops for your stock and its a sea of roos every night.

those who think the eastern grey or the big fellas are endangered need a trip out coonamable way.

to me i felt pretty sorry for the farmers. they supply the feed and water, pay the rates and the roo shooters harvest a crop on their land and pocket the proceeds... nice job if you have the talent and it sure is a talent.

i couldnt shoot that straight night after night like that.

also. they never took small ones.. always the biggest...so considering the majorty of a mob are mid age and younger there wasnt any culling of the females unless they were really big ones . no no reduction in next generation. so little relief for the farmer long term anyway.

since the topic is roos, i dont think your thoughts are too OT.

I dont understand how that roo with the broken neck was kept alive. thats no quality of life for him.

ooo if you want a good laugh, (yes off topic) go to the dairy display at any show and what the reactions and whats said by the kids seeing a cow milked for the first time... particuly if offered some of the milk to taste.....

absolutely amazing how many didnt know and as one said "grossed out" :rofl:

ooo if you want a good laugh, (yes off topic) go to the dairy display at any show and what the reactions and whats said by the kids seeing a cow milked for the first time... particuly if offered some of the milk to taste.....

absolutely amazing how many didnt know and as one said "grossed out" :rofl:

Reading stuff like this makes me realise what an effort my parents made with us kids. They took us on a couple of farm holidays on a dairy farm, and we went to watch the cows and had fresh milk on our breakfast. It is pretty different to what is in the carton, but it was nice. I remember being grossed out by the cow eating her afterbirth tho'. :rofl:

Edit, carton not cartoon :hitself:

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

I feel for this poor kangaroo :(

When I was little (I was about 6 or 7) I used to help Dad take feed to a very old bloke in Dural who had a kangaroo sanctuary. It shut down after he died, I remember he had plans in place for the roo's though and his property was worth a bomb (land value).

The kangaroos were all well cared for and happy in their padocks, which is where we always saw them. One day though he asked us into his house, I had never seen anything like it. Urine and poo everywhere, hay was the flooring, babies in the kitchen sink and under his clothing, sick or tiny roos everywhere.

The sadest of all though was a huge red roo lying on a hession stretcher with a broken back. He could hardly move his head. He just had to lie there all day and all night.

This old bloke was very hard to understand as he had had a stoke. I know he loved that huge roo, it was just so cruel even for a little kid.

We never went back as Dad was shocked, I dont know if/what he did about it as he never spoke of it again.

When our old shepherd Ray lost his mobility, and it was becoming more than just a bad day we gave him his wings.

It would have been selfish and cruel to make him lie there all day, put nappies on him, feed him and give him water just to make us happy. A dog is a companion animal and domesticated, regardless, it would have been abusive and cruel to let him go any longer.