Irwin The Paralysed Kangaroo

SkySoaringMagpie

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is totally paralysed.

ETA: If my dog was paralysed from the neck down and could never walk, run, do zoomies, and couldn't even go to the toilet I'd send him over the rainbow bridge - nicest thing to do IMO. I'd afford the kangaroo the same care.

ABSOLUTELY.

IMO if an animal (and that includes my dogs) cannot live a NORMAL healthy, pain free life (and being carried everywhere or being dependent on an aparatus for motion) then the kindest thing is to give them their wings. They cannot rationalise, but cannot understand, in the wild this animal would not survive for good reason.

I made a similar decision for one of my pups when the vets told me that we could operate, but they could not give any indication as to how successful the operation would. RIP little man, I know you are in a more comfortable place.

I know there are always exceptions and considerations, but as a general rule I go with the above.

I'm horrified.

I was one who was for keeping the pups with no front legs alive (within reason and provided they had appropriate carers to provide for their special needs)... but I draw the line on this one.

Not a wild animal - with instincts that go against what it currently happening.

They do not think the same way we, or other domesticated animals would...

How does she know he is excited... maybe he's terrified???

No, I think it's cruel... and while I think she probably has a good heart and her intentions are good, it's just not right - in any way, shape for form.

If he has to be kept alive for whatever reason - then do so in an appropriate environment with carers who will treat him as a kangaroo - where he has interactions with other kangaroos, and a little bit of dignity at least... not dressed in a tuxedo and treated like a baby.

I'm just horrified, and deeply saddened that this is allowed - at any cost. And now, to have to be restrained/caged etc as well as all the other ridiculous goings on. What kind of life is that for a proud roo?

I guess at least he is loved (in a freaky way)... that's one positive, even if the kindness is killing him...

I hope someone can help this lady see sense soon, maybe get her the right kind of help she needs.

The video of her saying that he won't grow is disturbing, my BIL breeds albino red kangaroos and as part of a rescue program I took in a couple of hand reared euros and he took in desexed red male kangaroos. Some of these roos are very large and were desexed as babies. Male kangaroos do not stop growing until they die, desexing them may have some impact but it certainly will not stop Irwin from getting any bigger than he is now.

This picture is of my two rescue Euros at the front. Kayla the small one is a doe and Tyson is a desexed male and he is much bigger than the undesexed female.

Caz the best way to get publicity for this would be for people to lobby Australia Zoo to make a statement as the kangaroo has been named after Steve Irwin, if they believe that it is wrong a public statement would get coverage.

Irwin Videopost-23033-1303353690_thumb.jpg

You may be interested to read this ... LINK to Scribblygum forum , esp. the comments from "joey" who has been a wildlife rehabber for many many years, and who lives with several Kangaroos /wombats etc at her house. She knows just about every aspect of macropod health & behaviour ...

that video is really sad. Pers, Joey on that forum is right ... just wait until he's an adult. Really pathetic to watch her attach her own mental health onto the life of a creature. That's pure selfishness.

Unfortunately once someone has reached that level of associating the animal as her child no rational arguments will work. Unless there is intervention to either remove the animal or enforce her to change her treatment of him there will only be a decline in his environmental enrivhment/health and possibly her mental stability especially if something goes wrong with him

• 2 weeks later...
However, wildlife experts said dressing a paralysed animal and treating it like a human was "totally inappropriate".

That about sums up how I feel about it.

Quite a while back, the kangaroos at Launceston's City Park were returned to the wild when the council became aware of how much damage was being done to the animals by visitors feeding them bread. And that was just bread, I can't think of any justification for feeding a wild animal on human junk food.

To me, really caring the animal would entail trying to as closely replicate its natural existance as possible (provided it was healthy enough to have a decent quality of life and actually returning it to the wild was not an option), not turning it into some kind of huge, wrong, furry, obese baby.

What a nutter.

That woman is very, very sick. Her therapist recommended she start volunteering at the animal shelter - where the hell is that therapist now? Surely anyone with the slightest grip on reality can see that dressing a kangaroo in clothes and thinking of it and treating it as her son is not the behaviour of any normal or rational human being.

As for the poor roo, I can only hope animal welfare advocates manage to intervene for him. There are just so many things wrong with his living situation, it's hard to know where to start (beyond getting him off crazy lady).

Edited by Feather

That woman is very, very sick. Her therapist recommended she start volunteering at the animal shelter - where the hell is that therapist now? Surely anyone with the slightest grip on reality can see that dressing a kangaroo in clothes and thinking of it and treating it as her son is not the behaviour of any normal or rational human being.

As for the poor roo, I can only hope animal welfare advocates manage to intervene for him. There are just so many things wrong with his living situation, it's hard to know where to start (beyond getting him off crazy lady).

I think dressing dogs and cats in clothes is just as moronic

as well as carrying dogs in handbags. So makes for alot of crazy ppl

in the world