Always Leave With A Sick Feeling In My Tummy.

MuckyPug

I needed to get a collar for Max by tomorrow as he is going to Oma & Opa's while we go away for Easter (oh, he will be one spoilt rotten pooch this weekend!).

So, loaded up the kids and went to the closest shop that sells collars - a pet shop. An animal selling pet shop - and it's big. They have the normal selection of dogs, cats, rabbits, mice and fish ... but they also have a massive selection of birds, snakes and frogs.

I always feel for the dogs, caged and never looking or smelling over fresh & healthy.

But today it was the birds that saddened me. There were some magnificent birds. There was an incredible black cockatoos with a striking black tail. Just some lovely birds. And as I sit here, watching some mad Corella's destroy the trees that line our street I think 'at least you guys can fly away'. Hate seeing those rows and rows of cages.

Supermarket don't have the collar I needed, I normally order it online but I need for tomorrow as his has a split in it (bad organisation on my part!).

It was most certainly a red tailed black cockatoo - $2800. I spent about 10 minutes looking at is, it was so remarkable. I'm going to investigate if you can sell them.

Different states have different legislation regarding native animals and what can be sold where, what needs a licence, what doesn't

You can't sell snakes in pet shops in the ACT or NSW, but can in Victoria.

No licence is required to keep Eastern Long Neck Turtles in the ACT, but you can't even have them in Tasmania

You can't sell Black cockies in shops in the ACT, but I don't know about Victoria

Quick google and can't find anything to say you can't sell them. You did require a "full permit" and there were different levels of permits for various birds there so I'd say it's all legit. The are a pretty big, high profile pet shop so I'm sure they wouldn't be doing anything overtly illegal, especially putting him in full view.

Beautiful bird though.

So you are saying you are against caged birds? Most likely the people who pay thousands for a bird will know how to take care of them. I feel much worse about the puppies and kittens in pet store than the birds. I always enjoy looking at the birds.

Quick google and can't find anything to say you can't sell them. You did require a "full permit" and there were different levels of permits for various birds there so I'd say it's all legit. The are a pretty big, high profile pet shop so I'm sure they wouldn't be doing anything overtly illegal, especially putting him in full view.

Beautiful bird though.

They are a beautiful bird and yes you do need a licence.

I know the regulations have changed for the blacks in some regards. Maybe it is the yellow tailed blacks though. I remember seeing it on the news awhile ago.

So you are saying you are against caged birds? Most likely the people who pay thousands for a bird will know how to take care of them. I feel much worse about the puppies and kittens in pet store than the birds. I always enjoy looking at the birds.

I am against caged birds as I have to deal with the after effects.

I have three cockatoos here who were all insane due to being in cages as pets.

These birds are too smart to be locked up.

They live to 120 years and in my view its a crime to have them in a cage.

I'm a HUGEEE parrot fan ... and there is a right and wrong way to keep these parrots as pets ...

I also think it's a terrible shame to keep our native australian parrots as pets .. specially the cockatoos !!!

There are some great resources out there for companion parrots these days ..

www.pbec.com.au - Australia

www.goodbirdinc.com - U.S (who is also workshopping in Australia late May / early June)

and lots lots more ....

These kind of birds like RTB Cockatoos and any other Cockatoo, Eclectus, Macaws and Amazons should be no way sold in petshops :|

I just asked hubby a few questions.

It was on the radio that we were hearing about the Black Cockatoos and the guy was discussing about selling the Blacks and the fines that can be imposed if you sold one without a licence.

BTW Eclectus Parrots are NOT allowed to be sold in Pet Shops.

I've seen Black cockies for sale in a pet shop, quite possibly the same one you went to. A long corridor of cages with miserable but magnificent looking native birds. I only went there once, I forget why now but it was a few years ago and it has stuck in my mind, those poor bored trapped birds. :rofl:

I'm very much against caged birds - rarely have I seen a bird in a cage big enough. Birds (apart from chickens, quails etc) were meant to fly free.

Just because someone has $100s or even $1000s to spend really doesn't mean much. How do I know? Because I talk to the people that just paid $1200 for a puppy in the petshop they no longer want. This conversation can take place a week, a month or a year after said puppy was purhcased. It makes no difference. Quite often, the puppy hasnt really had much attention, no training and not much love either. So having the finances means very little it seems.

Like everything there are good parrot owners and bad ones ... same with good dog owners and bad ones ...

I also have seen the good and bad in parrot owners .. I'm involved alot with educating people on good parrot ownership via workshops etc .. but there are still lots of people out there doing the wrong thing ..

I've taken in $1200 parrots because the owner realised they are to loud, take up to much time, to messy etc etc ........

The horrible cycle of the pet world i guess :|

*EDITED TO ADD*

Everyone is allowed to like or dislike how an animal is kept ... but the fact is that people own companion parrots just like people own puppies from byb or petshops ... we just have to keep trying to educate people on how to house and keep them the right way .....

Edited by LoTTy