Urgent Dog In Distress

Staffyluv

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just lots of hugs for you both Staffyluv :eek:

Aren't the 'stolen' years beyond the vet's 'best guess' prognosis just the best years ever! :( I also had five precious stolen years with my boy. Keep it going, Ollie old boy.

Best wishes for tomorrow, hope it was just a bad day and he bounces back well.

Well he slept all night (in the middle of the bed and I was to worried about him to move him over)...

He is up and I was not going to offer him breaky but he was dragging his bowl around and woo wooing at me, so I decided to give him a little bit and he woofed it down..

Just waiting for the surgery to open to go down and will update when I get back...

I still think it was pain that was distressing him - not sure where or why and I am no vet but it is a gut instinct...

OK we don't know... blood taken but results won't be back for a few days...

We had bloods done not that long ago and his kidney enzymes were not right and the vet thought it could be the start of kidney failure but turned out it was a dose of pancreatitis due to me being silly one night and giving him some rissoles with veg(will never happen again)...

We don't think it is that again as his diet has been modified yet again to make sure of it.

It could be any number of things, at his age, with his health and cancer - now we wait...

In saying that, he is resting very comfortably on my good 'white' mink blanket on the lounge.. He seems to be back to himself...

If it happens again, I will just remember to give him some of his rescue remedy and he has some movalis?? tablets here for pain...

Thank you for the update SL, Ollie is one tough old cookie !!!

He's as tough as old boots, isnt he. Way to go Ollie, you little storm trooper. Post some photos of the old darlin, SL.

OK we don't know... blood taken but results won't be back for a few days...

Hi Staffyluv - I'm glad Ollie settled and seems now comfortable. I am hoping it is a one-off event or that if it does occur again it is a long time coming.

I wrote about this in my first post, but deleted it as I felt it might only serve to increase your panic and as I could have been (and could still be) way off the mark and wanted first to see if you were able to conclusively pinpoint the problem.

I am still hesitant about posting this but I will, in the hope that you will accept it only as food for thought, should you not be able to come up with any other conclusion and should it occur again.

The symptoms you posted were very reminiscent to me of Kal's (bhcs) symptoms when she had what I called "panic attacks". These were the result of tumour activity affecting her adrenal gland. It wasn't Cushings nor was it Addison's, in case you might wonder or not be able to recall (as I remember you were 'with' me during that horrid period of not knowing). The events would occur in the early hours of the morning, generally during sleep - it would wake her up. I'm not sure but I think the timing might have been relevant to what time we went to bed - I know I had a theory in my mind that it related to her biological clock, the sequence or cycle of her hormones.

The one symptom I'm not sure of as it seems even my own memory has blocked some of the unpleasantries of her symptoms (probably natural survival in remembering more potently the good times we shared) is the pale gums. However one of the symptoms of an adrenal gland tumour is the hypertension and, although I query it as I'm not certain, I would expect that would or could cause pale gums???

The reason I share this with you is because I know how much worrying, testing, wondering, worrying, testing, testing, wondering, worrying, worrying and so on that both Kal and I went through before a Vet finally had a look beyond the common. We found it through ultra sound.

I trust this is not the cause of Ollie's discomfort and I truly do hope that Ollie gives whatever it is the :eek: (we don't have a 'birdy' emoticon) just as he has for the cancer he has (with your enormous help) so valiantly fought and staved off.

Edited by Erny