Does This Drawing Look Like A Gsd?

Dogsrawesome

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a hell of a lot better than I could ever do, but I wouldn't pick it for a GSD - not a show quality one anyway... Something about the proportions of muzzle/ears/skull seems off?

I'd give you a great big encouragement award anyway!!!! :D

I think the ears make it look more like a kelpie x - GSDs have bigger 'softer' ears.

If you look on the breed pages on the main Dogzonline site there will be a lot of GSD profiles you can use as a reference.

It is a hell of a lot better than I could ever do, but I wouldn't pick it for a GSD - not a show quality one anyway... Something about the proportions of muzzle/ears/skull seems off?

I'd give you a great big encouragement award anyway!!!! :D

Hmmm yeah im thinking ears. Thanks :laugh: his muzzle looks the same as the picture in the book so its not that ;) suppose to be a black GSD. Might make a few tweaks to him tomorrow. :o

Nice pic, but the first one looks more wolfish to me, I think because the ears look small. I think the snout looks a bit dishy, but that could be the lighting or shading making it look less square between the eyes. Maybe colour rather than black and white would make it look a little more GSD.

I think your shading of the ears is really good though. :D ;)

It's a very handsome doggy none-the-less. I love your pics. :laugh:

Nice pic, but the first one looks more wolfish to me, I think because the ears look small. I think the snout looks a bit dishy, but that could be the lighting or shading making it look less square between the eyes. Maybe colour rather than black and white would make it look a little more GSD.

I think your shading of the ears is really good though. :D ;)

It's a very handsome doggy none-the-less. I love your pics. :(

Im waiting for mum to get me colour pencils so i can have a go at that. Yeah i love the shading in the ears by far the best ive done if only they were bigger, i also need to fix the nose itself it looks a lot worse on the photo but i still gotta fix it. Im so picky with the GSD's its the only one ive drawn that i think is half decent and i still gotta fix stuff. :laugh: Oh well i will get it eventually :(

I think the ears make it look more like a kelpie x - GSDs have bigger 'softer' ears.

Maybe thats why mum thought it looked like my first dog she was a kelpie x god knows what :o

Ears need to be a bit bigger, face needs more stop and the placement of the eyes are a bit off - pretty good though!

Could you please explain what stop means :D I will fix ears tomorrow i hope the shading is just as good haha. Dont know how i would fix the eyes move them more in or more out?

I'd move the eye back a little bit, but it's hard to say because I think the ears are perhaps too far forward. Line up where the eye is in relation to the corner of the mouth and the edge of the ears in your reference picture and that should tell you where everything should be. :D

looks like shepherd in a way but my first thoughs larger ears to meet the proportion of the long muzzle, and maybe a slightly larger head size to fit muzzle. google photo's of shepherd to give you a better variety of the black shepherd.

yes x10 better than what i could do so hat off to you !

I have been looking at your drawings lately, and I think you have a talent for it. The shading is excellent, and your attention to detail and getting them right is great. The teeth, the lips, the inner ears and the way you bring those pics to life by giving them a 3d quality shows a real aptitude, and you should be really proud of your growing portfolio.

I use a selection of very cheap 4B and 6B graphite pencils for my drawings. Nothing special.

What helps me to draw is to not just look at what I am drawing, but the negative space around the object. And I am constantly checking large bits against small bits, negative against positive, to get the whole proportion right. I don't draw objects, I draw objects within their spaces.

I think if you could learn this technique (either online or a very short TAFE course) it would bring your lovely pictures into the right proportions.

Instead of drawing people for my uni homework, I tend to draw the greyhounds, as I am usually home by myself here. I think greyhound make excellent Life models, and are cheaper and do as good a job as human life models. :cheer:

You guys are all so nice and informative i love it :D once i wake up a bit.... yes i only woke up an hour ago :D i will have another crack at the ears. Because looking at it now in front of me the ears need to be bigger, once i do that i think it will be spot on :). You guys are awesome :cheer:

You guys are all so nice and informative i love it :D once i wake up a bit.... yes i only woke up an hour ago :D i will have another crack at the ears. Because looking at it now in front of me the ears need to be bigger, once i do that i think it will be spot on :). You guys are awesome :cheer:

I wouldn't change that picture. It is a really good picture, even if it doesn't fit the breed standard. Your rendering is excellent. To start changing it now might ruin it.

I would start again and do outlines only, using photos to copy. Start by drawing a frame around the border, you can use the whole photo or just a section of it, and then drawing in the outline only of the dog. You can draw one or do a few and choose the best one to start filling in the details. Once that is done and you are satisfied you have the proportions right (feel free to post here and get opinions), then start rendering the drawing, either in black and white or colour.

Rather than drawing 'a GSD' any GSD, choose a specific photo of a specific dog, and think of your drawing as being of "Winkennels Borntowin GrCh, ADX TDX on 3/4/11" or whoever the dog is that you are drawing. Don't worry about what a GSD is supposed to look like or try to imagine that in your mind, instead, draw the dog in the photo in front of you. If the dog is well-conformed, and you capture that conformation on paper, it will obviously be a GSD to anyone that knows a good GSD.

Drawing in this way will also allow you to catch the character of a particular dog, and that will really make people engage more deeply with your work. ;)

WOW that's really good :hug: I think it looks like it has kelpie in it.

The outline looks huskyish to me, I think something needs to be a bit different with the eyes to make it look more GSDish, maybe the placement is a little off. BUT still it's great!!

Does doesnt it haha i think once i put detail in it, might look more GSD i will have a look at the eye placement. I was more worried about the ears :)