Black Dog Syndrome

Leelaa17

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both black dogs and black cats have a hard time getting adopted. I think it's partially because they are very common and people tend to pick the animal that stands out (say if you have a litter of 5 brown ones and one white one, the white one will be the first to go), and also because people tend to think big black dogs look a bit scary.

I just don't know why people have what Cesar called 'Black Dog Syndrome'???

It's not exactly a new or unknown problem, there are actually some reacue groups that rehome just the blacks. http://www.blackpearldogs.com/

Blacks make up a substantial proportion of greyhounds (I can't remember the exact percentage but it's over 60%) and the blacks have always been the hardest for us to rehome.

I actually have a small pile of applications on my desk right now, all of them set aside because they wanted "unusual" or "pretty" or "rare" coloured dogs (sadly, those are some of the actual words used in the applications)- and the current foster girl is just black.

The colours people prefer in greyhounds seem to be fawn and blue, in particular, parti colour fawn or blues. We've actually only ever had two parti dogs, one of those was white with black (although she was cat-safe so rehomed very quickly) and the other was white and fawn (the greyhound on the right in my signature) but she failed small dog testing twice and was not suitable for rehoming.

It's really quite disappointing that people would still prefer looks over temperament, our current foster is a lovely girl (very intelligent, gets along beautifully with other dogs and she's very people-oriented) but as soon as you tell people what colour she is, the interest in her disappears completely.

I actually think black is the prettiest colour on greyhounds... how sad:(

Guest sharynriding

I have a black flatcoated retriever and a golden retriever. If kids approach me to pat the dogs I have heard their mums say, you can touch the gold one but not the black one. Go figure?

To some people black represents bad whereas lighter colours represent good, in their brains that is!!

Winston Churchill called his depression the black dog, maybe a sub-conscious link there too??

Both black dogs and black cats have a hard time getting adopted. I think it's partially because they are very common and people tend to pick the animal that stands out (say if you have a litter of 5 brown ones and one white one, the white one will be the first to go), and also because people tend to think big black dogs look a bit scary.

What's funny is I have ALWAYS wanted a black cat. I have never been a very superstitious person - however I do have OCD and what is called 'superstitious thinking' if you guys have ever heard the psychological term!!

A bit OT.... but this is what made me NOT superstitious, and I swear to God this happened... It was Black Friday (maybe another connection there - black friday?) and we had a guy fixing the gutter at the old house - there was a ladder over the stairway to go outside... without even thinking I walked straight under it, stopped, turned around and went 'ahh shit'. lol But of course, I didn't believe in the 'bad luck' thing so nothing bad happened... I think that is people BELIEVE something is bad luck - then it will be to them - mind over matter???

I do not think it is wrong to have a colour preference and I would not write someone off just for saying they would prefer a certain coloured dog.

Personally, I prefer certain colours in different breeds and I've always been able to get the perfect dog for me even with a colour preference... i mean if you can get both looks and temperament why wouldn't you?

Although I always say I would prefer xxxx colour but am happy to consider other dogs if you think they would be the right dog for me :cheer:

It's not exactly a new or unknown problem, there are actually some reacue groups that rehome just the blacks. http://www.blackpearldogs.com/

Blacks make up a substantial proportion of greyhounds (I can't remember the exact percentage but it's over 60%) and the blacks have always been the hardest for us to rehome.

I actually have a small pile of applications on my desk right now, all of them set aside because they wanted "unusual" or "pretty" or "rare" coloured dogs (sadly, those are some of the actual words used in the applications)- and the current foster girl is just black.

The colours people prefer in greyhounds seem to be fawn and blue, in particular, parti colour fawn or blues. We've actually only ever had two parti dogs, one of those was white with black (although she was cat-safe so rehomed very quickly) and the other was white and fawn (the greyhound on the right in my signature) but she failed small dog testing twice and was not suitable for rehoming.

It's really quite disappointing that people would still prefer looks over temperament, our current foster is a lovely girl (very intelligent, gets along beautifully with other dogs and she's very people-oriented) but as soon as you tell people what colour she is, the interest in her disappears completely.

I actually think black is the prettiest colour on greyhounds... how sad:(

A black greyhound with a decent coat (as opposed to the fluffy brownish colour they often are when surrendered) usually actually looks a lot nicer than most of the other colours. A shiny black coat allows you to see the muscles beneath it really well and it looks stunning if you can get the lighting right.

This is a picture of a foster boy we had-

Sharkie.jpg

Getting the coat glossy takes a little bit of work (we use a Furminator to strip out the brown fluff) but it makes a huge difference.

Edited to add..

The hound in the photo above hadn't been groomed for the picture, he probably could've looked a bit glossier with a few minutes of grooming.

Edited by Hardy's Angel

Yep I have a blue and white boy and a black girl. When we go out Patch gets all the love and Lilly gets largely ignored :D Both have fabulous temperaments (though total opposites - Patch is calm, quiet and pretty independent, Lilly is so friendly, excitable and loves people) but Patch is the one who gets approached the most.

We were only commenting last night about how great Lilly looks at the moment, she is glossy and shiny - alas I suck at taking photos of her :cheer:

After having had a white dog and now having one black/brindle dog and one chocolate brown dog I will always prefer dark over light.

Reason? For some strange reason white hair seems to show up on everything yet dark hair seems to blend in. I used to have to vacuum every day with the white dog but with these other two I can get away with every couple of days. I know they still shed but it doesn't seem to show as much as white fur.

We were only commenting last night about how great Lilly looks at the moment, she is glossy and shiny - alas I suck at taking photos of her :D

We've been working on getting our current foster a bit more photogenic but it's hard when the little grot assumes that time in the front yard (which is a better place for taking photos, much more light and space to move) means that she should roll in the leaves, run around like a nutter and get herself as filthy as possible.

http://greyhoundhaven.webs.com/apps/blog/e...w/4815112-grace That's the before and after shots for her- although not the best. Grace also happens to be a bit of a porker so the nicely defined hound lines are missing, presumed dead, under a layer of blubber :cheer:

My last dane was pale in colour (a blue fawn) and people had no hesitation in approaching him etc - he was a big boy too - about 85cm to the shoulder and 75kg.

My current dane is black, much the same height and 60kg and people are a lot more hesitant about approaching him and ask if he's friendly etc

I have also had people walk out on the road to avoid walking past him - despite me putting him into a heel before they even get close to me. I have noticed a number of people from an Asian background have seemed scared of him.

The Big Black Dog syndrome in rescue is very much true. These are always the hardest dogs to place.

There are people that believe black dogs are mean-tempered, though personally I have never ever seen any evidence that the colour makes a difference.

Personally, the only hassle I have ever found with black dogs is that they are damn near invisible in the dark!

you know now it's mentioned, comparing the colour of dogs to people's reactions its so true that it makes a difference.

Shelby- my first dog, staffy x unknown -

n1081557036_30269438_1330.jpg

had this way of turning EVERYONE into an instant dog lover, she'd somehow touch them and they'd fall in love with her

Boof n Lilly on the other hand - American Staffordshire Terriers

217120_1829299527195_1081557036_32040230_7495151_n.jpg

Get me some really interesting looks when we go for a walk, I ALWAYS get the comment 'you must have your hands full there!' yet Lilly is the same size shelby was! I am often told they are 'striking' dogs but never the gooey gaarrry response shelby used to get ALL THE TIME.

Now what makes this very interesting, Shelby was an obnoxious dog... in your face! Loving but liked being the centre of attention. Boof n Lilly are much more polite and courteous, yet the response doesn't reflect this.

So even in my limited experience of three dogs, it seems this is pretty accurate that black colouring impacts people's perceptions of dogs.

There are people that believe black dogs are mean-tempered, though personally I have never ever seen any evidence that the colour makes a difference.

In my experience, the black female greyhounds are almost always total airheads. Friendly, outgoing and gorgeous girls but not a brain cell to spare between them :rofl:

Ha. This is so true. My friends brother walked in on us sharing a cuppa and noticed my black lab under my chair. He nearly jumped out of his skin. Apparently she had evil eyes....though I dont know how he could see her eyes from the other side of the kitchen.

I recon movies have a part to play in this too. Threatening dogs are always dark and the hero dogs are usually paler. Probably a bit like the 'knight in shining armour' and dark clothed villian idea.

Personally I like the shine on a black coat.

Ha. This is so true. My friends brother walked in on us sharing a cuppa and noticed my black lab under my chair. He nearly jumped out of his skin. Apparently she had evil eyes....though I dont know how he could see her eyes from the other side of the kitchen.

I recon movies have a part to play in this too. Threatening dogs are always dark and the hero dogs are usually paler. Probably a bit like the 'knight in shining armour' and dark clothed villian idea.

Personally I like the shine on a black coat.

Yep that is true about the movies they always have black large dogs such as Dobes and Rottweilers. Sad really :rofl:

Oh dear, I used to own a black CCR x BC who was black with white feet, he had a wonderful life & lived for 12.5yrs but I must have some bad luck coming my way soon :rofl:

I think it's a bit of nonsense. Lots of people say black dogs are harder to rehome but I've known quite a few that have flown out the door & they look soo shiny! But some people don't like the fact that some turn grey around the muzzle faster & it's more noticeable.

In my experience, the black female greyhounds are almost always total airheads. Friendly, outgoing and gorgeous girls but not a brain cell to spare between them :rofl:

Yep Lilly fits that description - wants to love everyone (whether they want love or not) and a total ditz

Lots of people say black dogs are harder to rehome but I've known quite a few that have flown out the door & they look soo shiny!

My opinion is based on what we experience with greyhounds- and in a lot of cases, adopters specify a dog of a particular colour (although a few were talked around to a black). We had a lovely black girl here for over twelve months but other "coloured" dogs were rehomed before her, despite her having a better temperament and being suitable for a far wider range of homes :rofl:

Some people do prefer black but those people seem to be very much in the minority, unfortunately.

Edited for typo

Edited by Hardy's Angel