Flying A Dog From Brissy To Sydney

huski

Daisy and I are going to Sydney for a few days in July and it will be the first time I've ever flown a dog so I am feeling quite nervous about it and I have a tonne of questions!

If anyone can help me out it would be great.

Things Huski is Curious About:

- What is the best airline to fly on when traveling with a dog?

- How do I go about hiring an airline crate, I don't want to buy one as I won't use it enough

- If it's really cold when you are flying them, can you put them in a jumper or that not recommended/allowed?

- Assuming they fly without a collar on, do you take their collar and leash with you in your carry on luggage?

- When flying with your dog, what doggy things do you pack to take away with you?

- If you are flying with your dog, is it correct that they are classed as excess baggage? Does this mean you can still take a suitcase with you?

- Can you bring bedding to put in the crate with them? I don't want her sitting in a hard crate with no softness to sit on :p

Sorry for all the dumb questions :rofl: I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered before I book the flights.

*already edited to add more questions

Edited by huski

- What is the best airline to fly on when traveling with a dog?

They all vary - I tend to fly Qantas when I am flying with a dog - if you fly with Qantas, you book your dogs flights through Australian Air Express, however if you don't have your own crate, then you might need to go through a transport company to hire the crate. As you are flying accompanied, the cost won't be as high and you'll need to quote them your flight booking.

I haven't flown any of the other airlines with dogs so hopefully someone else can help you out on that one.

Check out the Australian Air Express website which has a good section on flying your pets.

- How do I go about hiring an airline crate, I don't want to buy one as I won't use it enough

Qantas I think accept metal/wire crates - do you have one of these? Or can you borrow one?

- If it's really cold when you are flying them, can you put them in a jumper or that not recommended/allowed?

Not sure on this one - but the baggage area is apparently the same temperature as the cabin - not that it helps much, i always freeze my arse off when I fly

- Assuming they fly without a collar on, do you take their collar and leash with you in your carry on luggage?

Not necessarily in your carry on luggage. Your dog won't come out of their crate til you pick them up, and I am assuming you'd collect your luggage at the same time or before you pick your dog up.

- When flying with your dog, what doggy things do you pack to take away with you?

When i have flown with my dogs, it's been for shows, so I took all grooming equipment, shampoo, food and bowl. I was lucky enough to take a trolly/crate which had a table for the Old English which saved me needing to use a table.

- If you are flying with your dog, is it correct that they are classed as excess baggage? Does this mean you can still take a suitcase with you?

Yes you still take a suitcase - you still have to pay the extra for the dog, so it doesn't include the allowance for your luggage.

- Can you bring bedding to put in the crate with them? I don't want her sitting in a hard crate with no softness to sit on

Yes, however given the longer flights I tend to just use a crate mat or towel just in case. might not be such an issue for a shorter flight like yours.

Edited by SparkyTansy

- What is the best airline to fly on when traveling with a dog? ITS EITHER VB OR QANTAS - LAST TIME I FLEW A DOG THEY CHARGED DIFFERENTLY I.E. ONE WAS FREIGHT AND THE OTHER WAS EXCESS BAGGAGE SO MIGHT PAY TO CHECK

- How do I go about hiring an airline crate, I don't want to buy one as I won't use it enough HIRE FOR DOGTAINERS OR JETSET PET ETC

- If it's really cold when you are flying them, can you put them in a jumper or that not recommended/allowed? NOT ALLOWED - WHERE THEY ARE STOWED IS TEMP CONTROLLED

- Assuming they fly without a collar on, do you take their collar and leash with you in your carry on luggage? I HAVE ALWAYS LEFT A COLLAR ON. LEASH IN LUGGAGE.

- When flying with your dog, what doggy things do you pack to take away with you? WET ONES ARE HANDY - IN CASE OF ANY ACCIDENTS IN THE CRATE (BEFORE YOU PUT THEM IN THE CAR)

- If you are flying with your dog, is it correct that they are classed as excess baggage? Does this mean you can still take a suitcase with you? YES

- Can you bring bedding to put in the crate with them? I don't want her sitting in a hard crate with no softness to sit on :rofl: NO - THEY ARE ON NEWSPAPER.

(sorry for the caps!)

Edited by Danois

[Things Huski is Curious About:

- What is the best airline to fly on when traveling with a dog? I've always flown Qantas and never had a problem.

- How do I go about hiring an airline crate, I don't want to buy one as I won't use it enough You can hire from Dogtainers, when I flew from from brisbane I just went out the day before to dogtainers and picked up a crate. If you need to catch a cab, they can also come and pick the dog up and take it to the airport

- If it's really cold when you are flying them, can you put them in a jumper or that not recommended/allowed? I don't think I would put them in a jumper. They may spend some time on the tarmac and if it's a warm day there could be issues. Something could happen with the plane and the airconditioning may not be working..... as far as I know it doesn't get any cooler or warmer than the cabin.

- Assuming they fly without a collar on, do you take their collar and leash with you in your carry on luggage? I think mine flew with a collar on, i don't remember taking it off. But I definitely took the lead in my carry on luggage.

- When flying with your dog, what doggy things do you pack to take away with you? Just the usual stuff they need on a daily basis

You can still take a suitcase. I think that both sydney and Brisbane airports don't allow dogs in the terminal so you'll have to book through Australian air express and you'll have to drop the dog off there and pick them up there. The AAE offices are usually near the terminal. SORRY: CORRECTION HERE, I GAVE OUT THE WRONG INFO. DOGS ARE ALLOWED IN THE TERMINALS AT SYDNEY AND MELBOURNE, I JUST CHECKED. WHEN I WENT FROM BRIS I HAD TO USE AAE, BUT IT WAS BECAUSE I WAS GOING VIA PERTH AND THEY WON'T ALLOW DOGS.

- Can you bring bedding to put in the crate with them? I don't want her sitting in a hard crate with no softness to sit on :rofl:

Yep, I put a small mat in the crate with mine. If you're worried about dehydration you can also get a water bottle and freeze it overnight and attach it to the cage the next morning with one of those ties. It can't be loose in the cage.

Edited by Akay

We have used Virgin Blue and never had any issues,we have paid separately - they don't go as excess baggage but under "pet in hold" ticket. The charges vary according to weight, they weigh the pet and crate together. We paid about $100.00 each way I think she weighed 23 kilos with the crate. Issy wore her collar but no lead,the hold is at the same temperature and pressure as the cabin according to the groundstaff. We always put a bed in for her we had a crate but Virgin can supply them. The drop off is just near the domestic terminal and we had to have her there 90 minutes before the flight. I would check the pick up arrangements in Sydney as different airports have different rules,in Mackay we picked her up in the terminal the first time but subsequently had to pick her up from the cargo area (could be difficult if you need to collect her from freight in Sydney depending on what transport you will be using there).

I would also check before you book your ticket as they had a limit to the number of pets per flight and you need to book the pet in hold ticket separately through customer service. They have always been very helpful and were good with Issy at the drop off point.

can't help with taking the dog with you, but i flew a dog from newcastle to melbourne by himself.

the rescue hired from jetpets and they did virgin airlines, i kept his lead and collar attached and added a blanket inside and taped his medical info on the crate.

we were aloud in the airport like normal checked him in and just chilled with him inside until his flight was ready.

Dogs are NOT allowed in the Sydney terminal.

VB freight is about 10 mins walk from the terminal and all dogs must be lodged there and collected from there. AAE is a couple of minutes away from the terminal and again, all dogs are lodged/ collected from there.

VB freight is about 10 mins walk from the terminal and all dogs must be lodged there and collected from there. AAE is a couple of minutes away from the terminal and again, all dogs are lodged/ collected from there.

Qantass better update their website then!

From the website:

Animals that must be sent as freight to or from these airports: Pets are not permitted in the passenger terminals of the following airports either for departure or arrival: Adelaide, Alice Springs, Cairns, Canberra, Darwin, Gove, Hobart, Karratha, Perth, Port Hedland and Townsville. All permitted pets must be lodged at the Australian air Express freight terminal and you will be required to pay the applicable rate for the carriage of the pet. When pets are travelling to any of these destinations they must be collected from the freight terminal at the arrival destination. Contact Australian Air Express(AaE)* for information.

Just some other things to consider:

If you book VirginBlue, you have to ring up if booking a pet as well. You can't book online. However if you look up the online price and tell them that on the phone as you book and that you are only ringing as you need to book a pet on they will usually match the online price and not charge the extra fee.

If flying ona Sunday - ring and speak to the freight place. We recently had a situation where QANTAS had said it was fine to book a dog on accompanied for a Sunday evening flight only to find out the day before that AAE closes early in Adelaide on a Sunday!!

Get a quote from an animal transport company - sometimes it works out cheaper.

Yes, they are! Our breed being medium size dogs - beagles.

We just flew last weekend from Brisbane to Sydney return with the dogs as our luggage and had no problems at either airport. We always fly Qantas with our dogs.

We took carry-on luggage and the dogs were part of our 23kg allowance. We had 3 dogs with one only being a 4-5 mth old puppy. We purchased additional baggage online - 5kg for $35 instead of being charged $10 per kilo over the allowance at the airport. Between the 2 of us, the 3 dogs took our allowable luggage to being over by 8 kgs. So with the additional 5kg extra this left us still being 3kg over. Qantas where great and didn't charged the additional $30 in either Brisbane or Sydney.

The hardest bit is fitting your things into a small case so it can go as hand luggage. I took 2 bags and no handbag.

I wouldn't put a jumper on Daisy - as previously mentioned it gets very warm inside the plastic airline crate despite the ventilation holes and front opening door. As the dogs are loaded last (after all the normal baggage) she could be sitting in the sun for a short while. Our dogs get stressed when flying but are OK at the other end. Due to stress they pant quite heavily so I would have water and a container to put it in when you get her out on arrival.

When you check her in at oversize baggage, they will (or should) us electrical ties to secure the front door of the crate. As you can't take scissors with you, get someone to cut them before you leave the terminal or she will be stuck in there longer than you want.

If you decide to fly Qantas, I would ring reservations (not AAE) and tell them you want to book flights with them and you will be flying with a dog as part of your luggage just to be on the safe side before booking.

Edited by hilaryo

Wow thanks so much for all your advice guys!! I really appreciate it. I think I'll have a look at flights and compare prices and then give both airlines a call to discuss flying dogs. I might give Dogtainers a call too.

Huski I have a grate you can borrow if Daisy fit ok. It is the one Odin arrived from NZ in. I will bring to training monday night to try if you like.

Vicki if you could that would be fantastic!!! Thanks SO much!!

And re flying them in metal crates, apparently you can but not if they are collapsible and I don't know anyone who has a non-collapsible metal crate. The less Daisy can see out the better she is in her crate, so a plastic one will probably be better for her anyway.

The EB might like to know that there's a krispy kreme around the corner from the animal pickup point :) That should cure any stress she'd have from the flight!

Let me know when you're coming - i'm thinking of taking some time off in july so I'm happy to play chauffeur for you and Daisy.

The EB might like to know that there's a krispy kreme around the corner from the animal pickup point :) That should cure any stress she'd have from the flight!

Oh wouldn't she just LOVE that!!

Let me know when you're coming - i'm thinking of taking some time off in july so I'm happy to play chauffeur for you and Daisy.

Dawww, thanks lovely. Not sure what my plans are yet or exactly when we'll be coming down. Probably looking at flying down on Thursday the 21st afternoon/early evening and then flying back on the Monday night, but I haven't decided yet.

Thanks for a useful thread!

I am flying myself and dog from Melb to Launceston. But he is coming back by himself with JetPets.

It actually surprised me that there is a very organised service to do all this! It certainly has eased my mind a bit.

Edited by betsy

Guest english.ivy

I've used Dogtainers, via Qantas, four times with no issues.

Ivy flew from Perth to Melb [return] in 2009, she's a stressy dog who hates being away from me but she was fine and dandy!