List Of Councils With 2 Dog Rules

Whippetsmum

City of Playford (SA) has a 2 dog limit before you need to apply for a permit for each of the next 2 (making it a 4 dog limit) - permits are approved based on the size of the dog and the available space. I'm still waiting for them to approve number 3 but you have to register them first....go figure - I'd have thought it would make more sense to approve before you get the dog.

I wonder how many cubic metres of dog per square metre of space they calculate as being excessive?

What a really stupid way to consider whether to grant a permit, given that many small dogs make a lot more noise than some of the larger breeds do.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe most (if not all?) Qld councils only allow 2 dogs wihout a permit.

Before council amalgamations some councils only allowed 1 depending on the size of the block

Ipswich allows four on 2000m2 or more with no permits.

The limits annoy me so much. I have lots of cats, but they are all indoor only so they don't bother anyone and nobody would even know they are here. Yet my neighbour has one outdoor cat who wees on my front porch, poos in my garden beds, annoys my cats through the window, etc. They also have one outdoor dog who barks when we go outside, when something goes past outside, etc. It should be based on your capability to care for them. It is also stupid how we are on a full sized block and only allowed two dogs without a permit, yet my next door neighbours are on a sub-divided block and can each have two dogs - so four dogs on MUCH less space than we have. Crazy.

I know I will get shouted down for this..

But I think people should get a apply for a permit to keep an animal before getting one...

Well some people anyway.. Especially when you see how some "care" for their animals.

Can't find anything in particular for our shire. I have always thought 2 was the limit but I know they do not enforce that on rural properties or semi rural with no hassles. I pretty much have had three out here (2 only in town though)and they wouldn't know or care as they never cause an issue.

I know one farmer who had 10 dogs from very young pups to aged retirees. I don't event hink they were rego's with the council??

Most have a sheep tag on them if they are from a property with sheep so many have been tracked down that way.

Personally here I would have what I wanted, but out of curiosity I am going to ring and find out!

Kirty councils don't seem to have catered for indoor cats, Most indoor cat owners work on the basis their indoor cats are not bothering anyone.

Indoor dogs? There are more than we think, but I dont think that will change the limits. I'm happy with 2 dogs but at times I wish I could add a little indoor chiuaua.

Found ours and it says

2 dogs over the age of three months if the premises is situated within a town site.

4 dogs over the age of three months if the premises is situated outside a town site.

Mine friend lives just one the outside of the townsite border and she has 4 dogs all rego'd no worries, but she is actually about 10kms if that from the centre of town. Her side of the road is small acerage ie 5 acres and less, the other side of the road is normal town sized blocks.

I can't find anything about applying for any permits though

Edited by OSoSwift