Car Sickness

Anyone got ideas on what I can give a 3kg Pom to assist with the car sickness?

Doing all the usual - feeding in car, short trips etc, have only had her since yesterday, but wondering if Junket/any car sickness tabs would be able to be used on a dog so small!

Ta

:laugh:

I found Emmy travels well when she is a crate.. that helps her car sickness.

We gave her Ginger tablets and ginger biscuit about 15 minutes before we left helped a little bit too, but eventually that stopped working too.

Edited by CW EW

We gave her Ginger tablets and ginger biscuit about 15 minutes before we left helped a little bit too, but eventually that stopped working too.

Thanks :eek: Am going to try a crate tomorrow - if all else - it will help with stopping me from washing blankets every day! :laugh:

Thanks :eek: Am going to try a crate tomorrow - if all else - it will help with stopping me from washing blankets every day! :laugh:

Good luck!!

Ohh.. also my advice is don't feed her anything before a car ride if she known to throw up..

Thanks :o Am going to try a crate tomorrow - if all else - it will help with stopping me from washing blankets every day! :eek:

Good luck!!

Ohh.. also my advice is don't feed her anything before a car ride if she known to throw up..

yep doing that ;). Went through it with my male Aussie and took me almost 12mths... but am worried due to her size that some of the meds would be too powerful for her :laugh:

Junket isn't a med and will be fine. You can split it in half or quarters fairly easily too. HOWEVER I found that it didn't help my lappie puppy at all. The only thing we've remotely had any success with is phenergan and we bought the liquid medicine - one mL per kg of the dog. Is pretty messy to deal with though and now that she's 10kg we'll just get the tablets.

Halo, IMO, is stressing herself out and making herself sick - I don't think she's getting actual motion sickness anymore.

Junket isn't a med and will be fine. You can split it in half or quarters fairly easily too. HOWEVER I found that it didn't help my lappie puppy at all. The only thing we've remotely had any success with is phenergan and we bought the liquid medicine - one mL per kg of the dog. Is pretty messy to deal with though and now that she's 10kg we'll just get the tablets.

Halo, IMO, is stressing herself out and making herself sick - I don't think she's getting actual motion sickness anymore.

Emmy got car sickness and then it developed to anxiety towards the car. She use to drool walking towards my car.. now she just drools when we are in the car. We put her in a crate and she is ok now.

There was A LOT of training for her to be ok with the car.

Emmy got car sickness and then it developed to anxiety towards the car. She use to drool walking towards my car.. now she just drools when we are in the car. We put her in a crate and she is ok now.

Yep, that's where we're at at the moment too. Halo won't go near the car (just walking past it without me having to drag her this morning was amazing) and she's drooling from the instant she's sitting in the car. She gets her dinner in the car every night now to try and get her over it.

I've also used the phenergan a couple of times, on Ruby (Halo's litter sister). The last trip we did (2hrs) she was fine and just slept without anything. With Halo I agree she is probably stressing more about the car than the motion sickness, so it may be necessary to keep up the phenergan for a bit longer, if its having a positive effect.

Phenergan is used for children for travel sickness as well. If you are going to use it, administer it a day before you plan to go just to ensure that there is no reaction or anything.

Edited by lappiemum

Yep, that's where we're at at the moment too. Halo won't go near the car (just walking past it without me having to drag her this morning was amazing) and she's drooling from the instant she's sitting in the car. She gets her dinner in the car every night now to try and get her over it.

Kivi started to go that way, but we managed to nip it in the bud with TTouch. A 5-minute massage once he was settled in his bed with sides on the back seat and he was nice and relaxed. The bed with sides prevented him from sliding around and so he didn't get sick. The TTouch dealt with the anxiety so he didn't make himself tense. I think when they are tense they slide around jarringly, which makes them feel more sick. Maybe. If I'd had a Thundershirt at the time it would have been a good thing to try.

I've also used the phenergan a couple of times, on Ruby (Halo's litter sister). The last trip we did (2hrs) she was fine and just slept without anything. With Halo I agree she is probably stressing more about the car than the motion sickness, so it may be necessary to keep up the phenergan for a bit longer, if its having a positive effect.

Phenergan is used for children for travel sickness as well. If you are going to use it, administer it a day before you plan to go just to ensure that there is no reaction or anything.

Does Phenergan make them drowsy? I remember i gave Leo some kids child sickness tabs and it made him zonked out!

We are currently experiencing the same issue with our cocker puppy. Monte doesn't really like the car, its anxiety not so much motion sickness.

We have found restricting his movements (harnessed in) and winding the windows down in the back, has worked wonders. He loves feeling the wind rushing through the car, and it seems to have had a profound impact on his car sickness. And we get plenty of looks when people see a cocker sticking their nose up in the air with the ears flapping :D

Ginger biscuits were some help for a short period of time, as well as the juket tablets. We don't feed Monte at least three to four hours before a car trip. Also making it a really positive experience, so whereever we go its somewhere fun, whether it be to training, a play date or even to the vet (Monte loves our vet).

LP: Won't hurt giving the junket tablets a go. I give Pirate an Avil 1/2 hour before traveling any distance over a few km! Possibly give a small dog 1/2

I tried Travel calm ginger, ginger biscuits a few years ago, but no luck there :cry:

Phenergan will probably cause drowsiness but is pretty good for travel sickness

If it's due to anxiety, you could try using the DAP spray on a bandanna or on her bedding.

DAP is an appeasing pheromone that helps them if they're anxious, it calms them & reassures them.

Does Phenergan make them drowsy? I remember i gave Leo some kids child sickness tabs and it made him zonked out!

It can, it does depend on the dog. It doesn't make Halo drowsy, it just makes her relax. Ruby I believe it made drowsy from memory (LM can confirm).