Philanthropist Businesswoman Jan Cameron Is Funding A Multi-million-do

Quickasyoucan

IMO good to bring low cost veterinary treatment to lower socio-economic areas. :cry:

This gives people the option to desex and means that costs are less of a bar.

Also dentals etc...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/healt...6-1226048004701

PHILANTHROPIST businesswoman Jan Cameron is funding a multi-million-dollar national network of not-for-profit veterinary centres -- or "public hospitals for animals"-- to slash the cost of de-sexing cats and dogs.

It is hoped this could end the cruelty of having at least one-third of all dogs and up to two-thirds of cats put down nationally because they are unwanted.

The wealthy founder of the Kathmandu outdoor goods chain said she planned to fund five fixed and two mobile clinics in NSW, Queensland, Western Australia and Tasmania.

These community vet clinics, the first of which is running in Hobart, will offer cut-price de-sexing and other procedures for pets of people who would otherwise struggle to afford the cost.

The Hobart-based Ms Cameron is calling for public donations to expand the project, with the aim of "getting to zero" the number of unwanted cats and dogs being put down.

"This is a national issue that people despair about and throw their hands up at but there is a solution," Ms Cameron said.

"The primary goal is to bring the population under control so these domestic pets do have homes ultimately and are not suffering out on the streets, and not causing any damage to native wildlife. The idea is to end this cycle of destruction of having to kill hundreds of thousands of animals every year that are not wanted."

Modelled on the success of a clinic run by Animal Welfare League Queensland on the Gold Coast, which has slashed the number of unwanted cats and dogs being euthanased, Ms Cameron said the clinics would offer "radically lower" prices.

The de-sexing of a female cat will cost $94, rather than commercial rates of $150-$200, while de-sexing of a female dog will be $194, compared with commercial rates of $250-$400.

The clinics will offer flexible payment plans. "There can be garnisheeing of people's pensions -- $2 a week, something that doesn't make a difference to their lives, but they end up with a de-sexed and micro-chipped cat," Ms Cameron said.

As well as the Hobart clinic, opened months ago, there are plans for fixed clinics in Northern Rivers and western Sydney in NSW, and Maryborough and Brisbane in Queensland. Two mobile clinics are planned, in Western Australia and in western Queensland.

The estimated $3 million cost of the clinics would be met by Ms Cameron's Elsie Cameron Foundation, and donations would help to expand the project.

Since opening in 2001, the AWL Gold Coast shelter has reduced the number of stray and surrendered animals needing to be put down to 9 per cent of dogs and 24 per cent of cats.

Ms Cameron said this compared with the national RSPCA average "kill rate" for unwanted dogs of 29 per cent and 59 per cent for cats, and the NSW council pound average of 39 per cent for dogs and 68 per cent for cats.

The Australian Veterinary Association has welcomed Ms Cameron's commitment, but warned subsidised clinics needed to be well-managed to avoid "bad blood" with private vets, and tightly focused to avoid abuse.

"If people with a Mercedes come and get it done because it's a cheaper option, then that money generated by fundraising or subsidisation is wasted," said AVA past president Mark Lawrie.

The Getting to Zero clinic, operating in the Hobart suburb of Lenah Valley for several months, said this had not been a problem.

"It's definitely people from lower socioeconomic areas who haven't taken their pet to a vet before," said vet Tering Davies.

"We've been booked out for two months de-sexing, de-sexing, de-sexing. We've done orthopedics, amputations, dental work, including pulling out rotten teeth that should have been done years ago," Dr Davies said.

Edited by Quickasyoucan

I think it's important to note that the cost of desexing is already somewhat reduced by vets themselves. Compare the cost of a spey to the cost of abdominal surgery and you'll find that they're significantly different yet somewhat similar surgery.

Great idea of Ms Camerons though, it makes me want to support Kathmandu in the future :cry:

Wow... good on her for taking on a mammoth venture...

Just found this too- "Kathmandu founder Jan Cameron's $5m bounty to wipe out farm cruelty" - 22 June 2010:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/kathmandu...o-1225882469052

Although I dont like kathmandu gear/equipment (except for a basic piece here and there), sheds a new light as a means to an end and I won't feel as bad for buying it.

The Australian Veterinary Association has welcomed Ms Cameron's commitment, but warned subsidised clinics needed to be well-managed to avoid "bad blood" with private vets, and tightly focused to avoid abuse.

"If people with a Mercedes come and get it done because it's a cheaper option, then that money generated by fundraising or subsidisation is wasted," said AVA past president Mark Lawrie.

Ask me the cost of vet care (for everything) is well above what it should be.

As if not already making heaps, now the AVA warns Ms Cameron to protect the vets so they get charge inflated rates to anyone they think can afford pay the inflated rates.

Get real, what is needed is compitition not price controls.

I have a better idea, they want controlled priceing, how about we make a law that any amount collected by a vet over the cat 94/dog 194 rate has to be dontated to this fund. Ha.

Edited by shortstep

I don't think Jan Cameron owns Kathmandu any more. The money she raised selling it is what she is using in her animal endeavours AFAIK.

There was an Australian story on her a while back. She has pretty straightforward views on animal welfare, eg, she eats meat but believes animals should be well treated prior to being used as food.

I don't think Jan Cameron owns Kathmandu any more. The money she raised selling it is what she is using in her animal endeavours AFAIK.

There was an Australian story on her a while back. She has pretty straightforward views on animal welfare, eg, she eats meat but believes animals should be well treated prior to being used as food.

That's right - she doesn't. But I still shop there if I need something outdoorsy - an ongoing brand loyalty because of her good works! I saw the other day that she has donated a large swathe of bushland in north west Tassie to Tasmanian devil welfare and research. The intention is to keep the devils (that I believe will be brought in) tumour-free. Not sure how that will be achieved but it's a great gesture.

Jan Cameron is an AWESOME woman! ;) :shrug::o

Jan Cameron is an angel!!!!

But I do tend to think that she is dreaming thinking that by making this happen will an end the cycle of destruction of having to kill hundreds of thousands of animals every year that are not wanted.

Don't get me wrong by misinterpreting my comment and thinking that I don't think it's a good idea what she's doing, but I do really wish that she would put some $$$s into stopping pets sold in pet stores and putting a stop to puppy mills.

I love Jan Cameron, she's my hero!!!!

Edited by poodiful1

AVA have heavily subsidised desexing for anyone on a pension card using a voucher system available from the council. This has been in place longer than I have been a Vet Nurse.

I'm sure there may be some reduction in overpopulation but it would be hard to quantify just how much when the reasons for pet overpopulation is multi-faceted.

They still won't catch people who feel they have every right to make money out of their bitch/es and there also needs to be an attitude shift toward desexing- in some sectors this has a cultural base.

... and here was me thinking that paying $236 to have my 30kg Labrador bitch spayed by my local vet was very reasonable. Most of the actual cost was in the anaesthetic and pain relief meds administered.

My friend just had to have a hysterectomy (human) - she's so far up to over $2000 in "gap" payment AFTER her top cover health insurance has paid their share... AND the surgeon wanted his fee up front!! If she had waited for the surgery to be done under Medicare, those cancer cells they found may well have turned into something nasty...

Veterinary surgery isn't that expensive when you compare it, is it?

Not to mention that many rescues have negotiated even more reasonable rates with vets all over the country to have their rescues desexed.

I think it's a good initiative Ms Cameron is funding - but it CAN be done cheaper.

T.