Giving 2 Dogs A Bone

ok so my question is, i am going to give my 2 dogs a bone on sat to see how they go together

now do i allow them to approach each other and maybe swap and change bones and only step in if one of them gets a bit nasty in the telling off (this is my bone)

or should i not allow them to approach each other at all when they have a bone? should i rouse on them if they go to approach the other? or just let the dogs sought it out?

I would just feed them the bones separately if you can. Much safer situation, especially as one is a baby puppy. Though only you know your dogs and how they would react. I know personally with my dog there is very little chance of her being aggressive over food to another dog. But sometimes forcing a situation like that can make them feel uncomfortable and the need to protect what they have, especially if it is high value.

Maybe crate them close together and give them the bone?

yes thanx aussielover but my goal is i would like to give them bones as the baby grows up and i would like to set the rules for how she behaves now as a baby, i know raz wont attack, he is a good boy, but i would like to see how they go together.

i really would just like to know do i allow them to swap bones? or do i teach them it is not ok to approach the other while they have the bone?

yes thanx aussielover but my goal is i would like to give them bones as the baby grows up and i would like to set the rules for how she behaves now as a baby, i know raz wont attack, he is a good boy, but i would like to see how they go together.

i really would just like to know do i allow them to swap bones? or do i teach them it is not ok to approach the other while they have the bone?

I don't allow swapping and each eats their bone without interfering with or interference from the others. I supervise from a distance.

I think people need to understand that "sharing" is not a canine concept when it comes to resources.

Sure, a dog will "share" when there's plenty to go round but give one bone to a pack of dogs and unless its an unstable pack, one dog will always get it (unless a bitch got it first :heart:)

Feeding should be about encouraging calmness - do what it takes to decrease any possiblity of competition between your dogs.

so if i give a bone to each dog a little distance apart and basically i could sit in the middle and if one leaves their bone to aproach the other i turn them around and tell them its not allowed? and as willow grows up she will know how to behave because i have done it now?

so if i give a bone to each dog a little distance apart and basically i could sit in the middle and if one leaves their bone to aproach the other i turn them around and tell them its not allowed? and as willow grows up she will know how to behave because i have done it now?

I'd probably have the pup on a long line and verbally and physically correct (via gentle redirection with the long line) any encroachment.

I have 4 dogs. When I feed totally edible bones I supervise the dogs, sometimes all 4 out in the yard with me but more commonly only 2 at a time. With the all day gob stoppers :heart: like split marrow bones, they all get a go one at a time in the yard. After the bones have been out for a few hrs and all had a good chew they loose their value and any combination of dogs can be outside with the bones. I pick up old bones when I get sick of them cluttering up the back verandah or when they get new ones.

thanx poodle fan, yes i think with a bit of repetition in redirection without any harsh punishment i think they will understand the rules and willow will get it pretty quick.

thanx rebanne thats helpful i might do as you do sometimes :heart: i am also able (once willow is bigger and cant fit through the gaps) able to separate them so in the future if they have marrow bones etc i can separate them to chew on them then allow them together when like you said the novelty has worn off

I only feed my two when they're physically separated (in their crates). The exception to this is their antlers, but they don't hold a very high value and are treated the same as a toy.

A friend of a friend had a staffy and an ACD that lived with each other peacefully for 8 years. Always fed together and not allowed to interfere with each other's food. They lived in harmony for 8 years. Then, out of the blue, the dogs fought over a bone. The ACD died.

Perhaps- instead of occasional marrow bones- which are very hard- and don't have much nutrition (except the marrow- which can cause upset tummies as it is FAT).. why not feed softer bones every day or two? That way they get regular chewing ..and a meal ..and you have less time to have to keep them separate :heart:

Bones like chicken frames , turkey wings/necks/lamb flaps (with rib bone sections..) Beef brisket.

pers that is a good idea

i guess i just have to change my ways? cause when it was just raz and i was going to be out all day i woudl give him a bone, or i would freeze food in a bottle or give him a kong...will i ever be able to do that again? can i freeze food in bottles for them and let them have them when im not home? or is that going to be just like the bones and need supervision?

pers that is a good idea

i guess i just have to change my ways? cause when it was just raz and i was going to be out all day i woudl give him a bone, or i would freeze food in a bottle or give him a kong...will i ever be able to do that again? can i freeze food in bottles for them and let them have them when im not home? or is that going to be just like the bones and need supervision?

I don't ever leave my dogs unsupervised with food. Any recreational bones my dogs get they get when I'm home.

so can i ask what mental stimulation do you give your dogs when you are not home?

Their mental stimulation comes from the other dogs. They don't need boredom busters other than toys and each other.

I can tell you for a fact that they sleep most of the day anyway.

ok thanx poodle fan i guess i just have to get the one dog plan out of my head now i have 2 dogs :heart:

raz loves the boredom busters but i guess ill save them for when im home now and they are having alone outside time

Edited by dandybrush

Another one who does not like marrow bones.

My 3 bullies are fed lamb necks and have been taught to stay on their special 'bone matts' until they've finished.

Bones have very high value, so I also supervise the proceedings to make sure no one attempts to 'share' :heart:

Edited by HonBun

ok thanx poodle fan i guess i just have to get the one dog plan out of my head now i have 2 dogs :heart:

raz loves the boredom busters but i guess ill save them for when im home now and can supervise all interactions

I did try a kibble ball some years ago. One dog spent all its time getting the kibble out and the other dog stole it :heart:

If the boredom busters aren't super high value to the dog you should be OK.. its just that food is very high value to several dogs in my house. Only two show any interest in toys and that's not created issues between them. Both tend to grab a toy and tear around.

I am reliably informed that they perform their neighbourhood watch duties in my front window and warn against children walking to school and then retire to sunbake outside or sleep on my bed. :heart:

Edited by poodlefan