My Long List Of Wanted Breeds

ellazpupz

I'm like Poodlemum, I often think about breeds, research them and then cross them off the list. So far the breeds that have intrigued me are:

Lappies (sound like lovely dogs)

Cavaliers (will have one again when I'm old)

Mini Schnauzers

Lagottos

I love the Field Spaniel, but Jindi drops hair like you wouldn't believe so in my days of frustration, I think that's it, no more dog hair (for the next breed), do a spot of research and then fall in love with the Field breed again. Although I do like the look and sound of the Lappie, hubby says, "if it still drops hair, why not get a Field"? Which I reluctantly agree and then return to the idea of getting another Field...although saying that, I wouldn't mind a Welshie...or an English Springer.... :dummy:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gosh. My list is ever growing! But dogs I'd seriously consider owning:

Whippet (owned and loved)

Greyhound (owned and loved)

Borzoi

Saluki

Great Dane

Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen

Basset Hound (owned and loved)

Rottweiler

And I simply love, love, love Neapolitan Mastiffs, though I doubt I'd own one...imagine the DROOL!

Edited by Lillynix

I used to drive my friends wild with a "dog breed of the week" - and it changed about that frequently. I've got a shelf full of dog breed books as a result.

Eventually I nutted it down to the breed/s I knew I liked and could live with no matter what. I've got no regrets. I still am interested in a lot of different breeds but can't see me getting anything other than poodles or Whippets.

That's kind of how it is for me, in that you have to narrow it down to the breeds you just have to have. I will always own a doberman now, though the terrible thing is I own a doberman who isn't quite a purebred, he also has a bit more rottie and even a bit of ridgeback in him so he's very unique - and I don't really like other australian dobes anymore compared to him. He's kind of irreplaceable now, I'm not for creating mutts but he really is a superior specimen - slightly cuter looking than your average dobe, less pointy, ridiculously clever and good-natured (whilst having protected me now from weirdos at night on two occasions) more healthy - dobes sadly aren't a breed known for longevity (just had his hips checked and he's perfect etc) and attracts a lot of attention wherever he goes (we get some crazy stud fee offers - it's lucky I'm not desperate for money). Of course I'm biased though lol.

So when he passes, and god knows how I will cope with that, I am going to look into importing a dobe from europe or the states that reminds me of the dobe in that john travolta movie, eyes of the angel (look up doberman eyes of the angel on youtube, and you will see the most beautiful animal god ever put on this earth...) Going to need a lot of money for that though no doubt, might import a few and try and create something in Australia so I can always have some, even though I'm not really keen on the idea of breeding.

I have a thing for german shepherds too, and I will have to own one eventually.

Don't remember when or why I started wanting a doberman, I must have been very very young.

Edited by jacqui835

Dont ever give up, wish for what you want and believe in that dream breed, I started on a thread like this in 2006, with a dream, now its rolling along at great speed!

Wheres that like button when I need it!

I'm like Poodlemum, I often think about breeds, research them and then cross them off the list. So far the breeds that have intrigued me are:

Lappies (sound like lovely dogs)

Cavaliers (will have one again when I'm old)

Mini Schnauzers

Lagottos

I love the Field Spaniel, but Jindi drops hair like you wouldn't believe so in my days of frustration, I think that's it, no more dog hair (for the next breed), do a spot of research and then fall in love with the Field breed again. Although I do like the look and sound of the Lappie, hubby says, "if it still drops hair, why not get a Field"? Which I reluctantly agree and then return to the idea of getting another Field...although saying that, I wouldn't mind a Welshie...or an English Springer.... :dummy:

Poochmad has a couple of my choices there :laugh:

I have a list of "I loves, but in my dreams" ie I don't think I could do the intellect/exercise requirements justice, which are:

Kelpie

The vast majority of the HPR breeds

Basenji

Then there are the terriers (which are a possibility)

Irish

Staffordshire

Airedale/welsh/lakeland.

Finally I have a not so secret soft spot for Cavaliers, can't help it just love them and they are a distinct possibility for a next couple of dogs. However I also like the sound of lagottos but am not sure as I have heard mixed things about resource guarding issues. Need to do more research

Oh and I forgot how much I love frenchies too!

It really will depend on how much energy I think I have to offer my next breeds depending how quickly I feel old pretty much!

Edited by Quickasyoucan

I can't really think of another breed i'd like other then the Aussie Shepherd - they just seem to fit so well with my lifestyle!! And I can't wait to add another Aussie to my family!! (although, these lappies have really caught my eye - I fully blame everyone on here for that :laugh: ).

Although, I'd really love a little dog - and I really like the paps!! So they're on my maybe one day list!!

The two top breeds on my list are Aussies and standard poodles. Lottie what is it about your lifestyle that makes Aussies fit so well?

My only concern with them is that as an adult I've never had a shedding dog and I'm not sure if I could deal with the hair :o