My Long List Of Wanted Breeds

ellazpupz

The more time you spend with dogs the shorter the list should get. Some of those lists are incredible because the breeds are all so different to live with. You need a breed that suits your life and abilities, so I find it hard to fathom why anyone would want complete opposites in temperament, trainability and looks :confused:

Over the years I have looked carefully at a few different breeds, then discarded each one as a possibility and still have my original three breeds on my list. There may still be a Poodle one day, but I am not fussed on having to worry about clipping and scissoring. Love the breed, just not the grooming. So my next dog will either be yet another Border Collie or eventually a Japanese Spitz which has been my smaller, easier breed of choice for many years.

There are any other breeds that I love to admire but have absolutely no desire to own one.

I disagree. I got my GSD's not knowing anything about them, my OH loved the breed. I have now changed my lifestyle to suit their needs.

I think people on here are talking about breeds they WANT, not breeds they would ever get. I doubt I will have anything other than GSD's for the rest of my life. Doesn't mean I can't imagine what it would be like to have a dobe.

And I know you said you can't fathom why people would WANT breeds with different temperement, trainability and looks, but I think that's what this topic is all about. There are so many different breeds and I think if we could all have a different breed for a day just to see what it was like it would be good. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting all different kinds of breeds.

There are any other breeds that I love to admire but have absolutely no desire to own one. - you said this... this is what we are all saying, I think. :)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more time you spend with dogs the shorter the list should get. Some of those lists are incredible because the breeds are all so different to live with. You need a breed that suits your life and abilities, so I find it hard to fathom why anyone would want complete opposites in temperament, trainability and looks :confused:

I currently have an Irish Terrier and several Aussies (as well as a Border Terrier and a muttly). The Irish and Aussies are incredibly different to live with, different temperament, trainability and looks. But I love both breeds and certainly will have more of both in the future - they are my two 'main' breeds and my real loves in the dog world, and while there's a few other breeds I would like to own one day I can't see anything replacing the Irish or the Aussies.

If I could only pick one breed it would be the Aussies because they are easier to live with/own/do things with, but I hopefully won't ever have to be in that situation and will have Irish to keep things lively and 'interesting' and to keep me laughing! They certainly not a breed that many people want or would enjoy living with but I just adore them.

As long as they aren't picking based on looks alone and have done their research, I think people can love and want very different breeds quite easily.

Agreed 100%

Hehe my long list of breeds I'm interested in is as follows:

Great Danes

Newfoundlands

Samoyeds

Large Munsterlanders

English Cocker Spaniels

Irish Setters

Labradors

Flat coated retrievers

Dalmations

Weimaraner

And more Lappies :)

Edited by Millie-Moo

You need a breed that suits your life and abilities, so I find it hard to fathom why anyone would want complete opposites in temperament, trainability and looks :confused:

Some of us like contrast. ;)

I love the idea of having owned breeds with different character/temperament! The dogs on my list are varied is many ways, but I have the lifestyle that would suit all, lucky me hey :)

My two kids are also so different in everyway too... Makes life interesting.

I used to drive my friends wild with a "dog breed of the week" - and it changed about that frequently. I've got a shelf full of dog breed books as a result.

Eventually I nutted it down to the breed/s I knew I liked and could live with no matter what. I've got no regrets. I still am interested in a lot of different breeds but can't see me getting anything other than poodles or Whippets.

I know quite a few people with poodles and whippets. I wonder what it is about this combination that people like so much.

Perhaps I need to add whippets to my list (just joking!)

You could do a lot worse - I rate Whippets as a largely undiscovered treasure as a family dog. As to why the combination? Both are elegant athletic breeds and can be very affectionate. Neither is an unsuitable companion for the other in terms of size or temperament either.

My list consists of

Bullmastiff, what I own now and always will

Dobermann,have owned previously

Boxer,

Boston Terrier, most likely my next breed or

Possibly a Basenji, currently researching now as its only a new interest.

And my must haves should I ever have the time to groom,lol

Afghan hound,

Samoyed,

Alaskan Malamute

My list has dropped considerably as Ive gotten older and researched more. I doubt I will ever own an afghan, malamute or samoyed. I wish I could but the grooming does not appeal to me and since Im heavily into showing, I would have to keep right on top of the grooming. The other breeds I will have. In regards to the boxer and dobermann, different to Bullmastiff, however its nice to have a breed I can take out for a good run,bike ride or for a more satisfying training experience. I love my bullies but some things I just cant do with them to the extent I want.

Edited by Kaffy Magee

i am so use to working dogs, i don't think i could handle another kelpie at the moment 3 is too much work. :rofl:

i think i am a fan of short coated dogs.

*border collie (chocolate and white)

*GSD (bi-coloured)

*rotti

*lappie

*Blue merle Aussie shep

*Amstaff

*boston terrier

*french bulldog

ETA :a catahoula L.D

dogs i would not own, koolie, golden.r, lab, pug, beagle, i love the look of these dogs but i would not have one in my house hold sorry owners of those breeds. or maybe i just need to meet a nice well balanced one.

Edited by BMAK

Despite promising myself I'd stick with just a couple of greys, my list is already looking like this..

(In order of what I'd be looking at getting first)

Moar greys.

Belgian Shepherd (Tervueren)

Pembroke corgi

Pointer

Irish wolfhound

Borzoi

The more time I spend around dogs the less breeds there are on my list, I have learn't that many breeds just don't suit us or our lives.

Currently I am at:

Samoyed (can never have enough Sammie's)

Bullmastiff

Afghan or Borzoi

Keeshond

Karelian Bear Dog (need to import one into the country first)

I'm the opposite, I was always attracted to the ACD's and couldn't imagine not having one.

They are such a Velcro dog that I couldn't even justify to myself having ACD's plus another breed. I'm struggling with the decision to even get 2 at the moment, she is literally at my side constantly. Plus I worked out the next 4 months and it's flat out with herding comps, shows, and some tracking training..... haha double that and I'd be single quicker than you could say 'selfish' :rofl:

Ok.... I will admit that I'd love to work with a Malinios and have a Chi that got some obedience titles.

I'm awfully picky (just take the 20 page what breed for me thread I did at the start of the year) so in reality I know there are only very few breeds I want to live with.

Edited by huski

My list expanded very quickly but it's dwindled again now that I know more about each of the breeds.

I know what my next few will be and in all honesty, I don't think I'll go past those. I have plans as to what I want after I get my next dog and I think i'll end up a 2 (maybe three depending on a few things) breed person for a while.

My current list is

Afghan hound

Ibizan hound

Irish setter (or Red and white setter)

Large Munsterlander

Finnish Lapphund

Pointer

collie (smooth)

Dobermann

Weimeraner(LH)

Pyranean Mountain dog

Hungarian Viszla

I like the way so many people have been adventurous in looking at the less well known breeds. Like, I'm happy to see at least two people putting Tibetan Mastiffs on their list. If you ever get one, can I have visiting rights? :)

I'm just adding 4 breeds that I think are hidden gems in the dog world:

Cardigan Corgi

Smooth Collie

Welsh Springer Spaniel (where did that glorious colouring come from?)

Standard Poodles

You need a breed that suits your life and abilities, so I find it hard to fathom why anyone would want complete opposites in temperament, trainability and looks :confused:

Some of us like contrast. ;)

That's the perfect word I think!

I am set on having:

More Aussies

More Irish

Purebred Bull Terrier (or Mini)

There's other breeds I have come to like and think I could live with and enjoy living with:

Pap

Collie (Roughs and Smooths)

Shelties

Lappies

And the more time I spend with them, the more I am liking Border Collies.

And there are other breeds I love the look of (and would love to show) but not sure I could live with, like Borzoi, Dachie Longs and a bunch of terriers.

I am sure I will end up with some small fluffy like a Havanese or a Tib Spaniel or even a Pom, the OH can't go past cute fluffies! :laugh: Softie.