Heart Murmur

Tysonrox

My Friend bought a pure breed puppy.

The dog turned out to have a very bad heart Murmur and got very sick...

She found out about it when the dog was 6 months old and returned it to the breeder.

Vic dogs has said she should get a full refund.

But the Breeder is just stuffing her around.

Saying she only owes half back, but she has not paid any back?

This has been going for 3 months.

How can she get her full fefund?

Edited by Tysonrox

How much compensation etc would depend on several things. If the dog had such a bad heart murmer I am surprised nothing was picked up by any one until the dog was 9 months of age. Which leads to questions on whether the dog was born with it or had an illness which affected the heart. The answers to those questions and others can only be supplied by the people directly involved. Not by 3rd parties who have only heard one side.

However, if the breeder has had the dog back for 3 months then some sort of arrangement should have been made and concluded by now.

what was the original condition of sale and did the pup not see any veterinarians at all between purchase and 9 months of age? Severe heart murmurs are quite easily picked up if they were always there.

When the pup was bought, she was told it had been vet checked? and healthy! she was also told if there was any problems with the dog that it could be returned.

On the next too vaccinations the heart was not checked as she seemed ok, and that she had been checked at 6weeks? at the breeder.

The dog seemed healthy untill 8 months old when her liver was swollen and she had fluid in her tummy.

And her vet found the Murmur, and said 99% chance she had this murmur since birth.....

And that they don't just appear!

Every single vet I have ever had a vaccination done with has checked the heart prior to vaccinating and this puppy will have had at least 2 if not 3 vacs so it seems unlikely but of course not impossible that it had a heart murmur from birth esp a serious one. Heart murmurs can occur due to a virus or other illness, I have just had a 3yr old girl get it via a case of kennel cough. Difficult to blame that on the breeder.

Well I am surprised that with a heart murmur severe enough to cause ascites (fluid in the abdomen- which would have made her tummy look big) there owners wouldn't have noticed anything as a young pup, for example, exercise intolerance. And if the pup had been to the vet to have its vaccinations then the vet would have definitely picked it up at the time of examination.

It sounds to be to be more acute in onset, which may indicate that it is NOT a congential problem. What was the actual diagnosis that the vet made?

No the vet said he thought it was a congenital heart Murmur.

the same vet that didn't bother to check the pup before vaccinating her?

any vet that can't be bothered to check out a baby puppy before vaccinating it is not one I would put a lot of faith in.

Odd becuase a congenital murmur should be picked up as a young puppy.

Did the breeder agree with the vets diagnosis?

I would question the vet further to be honest, as they said themselves that "heart murmurs don't just appear" so why didn't they pick it up earlier?

Isn't it against the vacc manufacturers requirements to NOT health check a dog before vaccinating it? I have never ever known a vet to not listen to a dogs heart before vaccinating it. The vet was negligent in that instance. I also think its silly of the owner not to have the pup vet checked after she bought it. I tell all my adopters to get their pet checked within the first week for their own peace of mind.

I would question the vet further to be honest, as they said themselves that "heart murmurs don't just appear" so why didn't they pick it up earlier?

Some murmers can and do just appear and they can go away. Can be caused by a simple infection that an owner might not even notice. Had it happen to one of mine when she was around 5 or 6, wasn't there on any vet checks, was suddenly there on one vet check, gone the next. Granted it was only a mild one but even the more serious can pop up later in life.

The breeders vet did not pick it up!

BUT when they looked at her when she took her back they found the same thing!!!

As my friends vet!

It did'nt get picked up, because the breeders vet should have picked it up! before it was sold on.

As well as My friends vet should have picked it up but its not the persons fault who bought the pup with the Murmur!!!???

Some murmers can and do just appear and they can go away. Can be caused by a simple infection that an owner might not even notice. Had it happen to one of mine when she was around 5 or 6, wasn't there on any vet checks, was suddenly there on one vet check, gone the next. Granted it was only a mild one but even the more serious can pop up later in life.

The other thing that can cause a murmur to appear is taurine deficiency. If you feed a good quality adult kibble that won't occur, but if you're feeding something odd it can.

EFS

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie