Jenna's Poos

Leelaa17

Hi guys,

My dad wanted me to ask you guys what you think of something. Max's and Jenna's poos are quite different... hers are much softer (sloppier, runnier) that his. They both eat the same food, although I think she tries to sneak eating his adult food when she is still on puppy food... but I don't know whether that has anything to do with it.

They both have supercoat, and they get things like mince and other meats sometimes...

Any ideas? Should it be something I should worry about?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All three ( take the e off Royal Canin , I was having a blonde moment ) should be availble from your local pet supplies or you can buy them online.

Depending on which formula you buy and which of the three brands, you would be looking at somewhere between $102 and $130 a dog.

For an active dog you could look at Advance Active which is about $110 a 15kg bag or the breeder bags of Proplan, are the Proplan Performance formula and they are around $130.

RC basic formulas are based around the weight of the adult and puppy

If you are still feeding a puppy food, Advance do a base and a large breed puppy growth. RC make a Junior formula and Proplan make puppy in chicken or lamb base

Royal Canin make a German Shepherd specific kibble.

Most larger pet suppliers would sell it. A quick online search should find stockists in your area or you can have it delivered.

The working GSD folk I know feed Proplan - performance one I think.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks guys thats fantastic. I will definitely look into it.

I was also wondering whether or not her having runny poos is a problem? Like is it something that has to be fixed, could it lead to other issues etc? Or does it not matter at all?

I was also wondering whether or not her having runny poos is a problem? Like is it something that has to be fixed, could it lead to other issues etc? Or does it not matter at all?

It's indicative of something not being right and certainly won't do anything to empty anal glands.

It's indicative of something not being right and certainly won't do anything to empty anal glands.

Yep agreed. Our Husky always had runny poos - sometimes they'd be hard but most of the time they were soft and it didn't matter how much we cut back additives and such. Turns out the one thing that had been consistent the entire time was that her kibble was a chicken based kibble (Supercoat puppy, ProPlan puppy, ProPlan adult) - switched her over to a salmon based kibble (ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach) and all of a sudden her poos are the proper consistency. We've since realised that she just can't have chicken (even raw chicken) because otherwise it upsets her stomach.

Yep agreed. Our Husky always had runny poos - sometimes they'd be hard but most of the time they were soft and it didn't matter how much we cut back additives and such. Turns out the one thing that had been consistent the entire time was that her kibble was a chicken based kibble (Supercoat puppy, ProPlan puppy, ProPlan adult) - switched her over to a salmon based kibble (ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach) and all of a sudden her poos are the proper consistency. We've since realised that she just can't have chicken (even raw chicken) because otherwise it upsets her stomach.

Wow! That's really interesting. At the moment she is on Supercoat puppy so maybe thats the same thing? I might switch her over to sometghing that isnt chicken based...

maybe thats why she keeps trying to eat max's food.

Wow! That's really interesting. At the moment she is on Supercoat puppy so maybe thats the same thing? I might switch her over to sometghing that isnt chicken based...

I think the reason is more likely to be the amount of cereal in the kibble than chicken. Switch up to a better quality one and see what happens.

I think the reason is more likely to be the amount of cereal in the kibble than chicken. Switch up to a better quality one and see what happens.

Will do. Thanks everyone for your advice. I will let you know how it turns out.

Just to note... she is very active and isn't showing any signs of sickness or anything, her behaviour is the same etc, so she doesnt seem to be sick or anything.

But thank you!!

Yep agreed. I'd switch to something with less cereal than changing the meat to start with. That's what we did to start with, but for us it turned out to be the meat.

I found that Supercoat Puppy kibble started to give my pups the trots after a while - switched them to the Adult Chicken one, and all was well with the world again...

I now prefer Bonnie Puppy kibble to the Supercoat one now - all of my foster pups seem to do well on it, and it's not overly expensive.

T.

you should not switch to adult food now, it is important for large breeds to complete the puppy food until 1 year old.

Pro plan lamb and rice puppy or the salamon these are good. But remember it is not always these food breands suit your dog, even if it does for others so you have to experiment a bit forward if you still have problems. The kibbelet should be high quality with lots of meat and dogs should not have alot of grains, the cheap brands have to much grains.

Her poop must be firm, if it is soft poop she certainly going around with a stomach ache and it can go over to her behavior.

Good luck :)

you should not switch to adult food now, it is important for large breeds to llcomplete the puppy food until 1 year old.

I don't agree with this statement. It is often best especially for a large breed to switch to an adult food at 6 months to slow down their growth so they don't reach their full adult height too quickly which can cause joint problems.

Leelaa17 you should speak to Jenna's breeder and see what they recommend regarding food type and when to change to adult. Most GSD breeders recommend Royal Canin GSD, Pro Plan, or Artemis.

Edited by Kynan

Just an update guys - and thank you everyone for their advice! I went out and got puppy German Shepherd Royal Canin (it was on special) :o and the lady told me it would make her poos harder... anyway, I fed her last night and mixed a little bit in with supercoat (because I have been told not to change them to a new food straight away but to mix it for a while so they get used to it)... anyway, came down to get ready for work this morning and there were two, GIGANTIC... and I mean... MUTANT poos in the kitchen... (the dogs sleep inside, but until recently we've never had a problem with them going to the toilet inside...) - now I am convinced its Jenna because 1) the poos are still a big sloppy and 2) max has NEVER, and I mean NEVER gone to the toilet inside... ever... so I am assuming its Jenna -

and of course she's not getting in trouble for it because she wouldn't have a clue why she was in trouble... anyway... I think I might be feeding her too much because I cannot describe to you guys how big both these poos were - I swear to God, if I didn't know any better I would think they came from a horse...

So in light of this, do you guys think I am feeding her to much? I know you have very little info to go on, but even maybe some advice on how MUCH I should be feeding her?

you should not switch to adult food now, it is important for large breeds to llcomplete the puppy food until 1 year old.

I don't agree with this statement. It is often best especially for a large breed to switch to an adult food at 6 months to slow down their growth so they don't reach their full adult height too quickly which can cause joint problems.

Leelaa17 you should speak to Jenna's breeder and see what they recommend regarding food type and when to change to adult. Most GSD breeders recommend Royal Canin GSD, Pro Plan, or Artemis.

First of all, Jenna is 8 months and she is still quite small, she hasn't had her growth spurt yet and she is growing incredibly slowly... I often think she has stopped growing until I look back at photos and realise she is slightly bigger than before...

also, I got her from a BYB - yes I know, I'm extremely naughty - got her before I started reading this forum so much!! so I don't know whether the breeder will be much help - he always recommended fresh meat every now and again for thre pups...

but as I said before, I have started her on Royal Canin and I will see how it goes :)