Elderly Man Mauled By Dog

KatrinaM

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/elderly-man-mauled-by-dog/story-e6frfku0-1226057032207

AN elderly man has lost a significant amount of blood after being attacked by a dog while walking near his home in Melbourne's east.

Paramedic Leigh Branagan said blood was "trickling down" the footpath when he arrived at Griotte Street, Canterbury, just before 5.30pm (AEST) today after the dog mauled the 83-year-old from behind.

Mr Branagan estimated the man had lost about half a litre of blood from the bite wound on his leg.

"It was quite a significant amount of blood. It was trickling down the sidewalk when we got there," he said.

"(The elderly man) was quite shaken and quite pale."

A bystander had wrapped a towel around the wound to stem the flow of blood.

The injured man was taken to St Vincent's Hospital in a stable condition.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/elderly-man-mauled-by-dog/story-e6frfku0-1226057032207#ixzz1MVsGGkiR

I notice that this item isn't getting much comment. If the breed had been specified, I'd expect it would get many pages. We reward journos for naming the breed.

+1

Make that +2 But we knew this all along!

Hopefully he'll make a full recovery, and probably lucky he didn't suffer with a heart attack from It. I think 1/2 L Is a fair amount for an elderly to lose, my dad Is roughly that age and I Imagine he wouldn't fair too well with that kind of blood loss

ETA: Coz I was one track minded at first post

Edited by RottnBullies

The poor old fella, hope he recovers from this traumatic experience. :(

I know the man was 83yo, but I think saying "he lost a significant amount of blood" is a bit of an exaggeration. A blood donation is 450ml and he is estimated to have lost 1/2L. Not what I would call significant. :confused:

edited for spelling.

Edited by Sir WJ

Poor man, very lucky not to have suffered a heart attack or serious fall - his confidence will be badly shaken and for an oldie such a trauma can be the start of a decline in health. What can we do to stop half wit dog owners letting dogs roam.