Ears Of My Kelpie

Hi,

I didn't really know which forum i should post this on, so moderators feel free to move it if necessary.

My partner and I recently "saved" a puppy kelpie x from the RSPCA(probably crossed with a cattle dog, but definitely looks like a kelpie).

As a puppy both ears were flopped over. As time has gone by, the left ear has pricked up, but the other has totally flopped over his head. I have attached some photos to explain what I mean. I know that sometimes Kelpies ears don't prick up but it's more the direction of his ear that seems unusual. I want to find out if this is normal?

Any advice would be grateful.

post-40198-0-77457600-1306044003_thumb.jpg

post-40198-0-13402400-1306044134_thumb.jpg

post-40198-0-40913500-1306044143_thumb.jpg

post-40198-0-09555600-1306044153_thumb.jpg

He may now be in that awkward teenage phase, getting new teeth, and having his ears decide just where they will end up ;)

Depending on what other breeds are in there- his ears may not be nice prick ears ever .

I can't see any cattle dog in there - but something reminds me of a staffy type ....That said, he could be anything :)! he's a lovely colour- and looks settled - well done!

Hi,

I didn't really know which forum i should post this on, so moderators feel free to move it if necessary.

My partner and I recently "saved" a puppy kelpie x from the RSPCA(probably crossed with a cattle dog, but definitely looks like a kelpie).

As a puppy both ears were flopped over. As time has gone by, the left ear has pricked up, but the other has totally flopped over his head. I have attached some photos to explain what I mean. I know that sometimes Kelpies ears don't prick up but it's more the direction of his ear that seems unusual. I want to find out if this is normal?

Any advice would be grateful.

By they way, he is 5 months of age now

Hi ears may never prick and yes he could be pure kelpie!!!! My boy has a pedigree as long as your arm and all his line have pricked ears except his dad...yep at 6 months we have...hmmmm occasional ears. Sometimes up, sometimes down, sometimes one up one down :rofl:

post-30989-0-65169200-1306055227_thumb.jpg

without seeing him in "dog" he does look a bit stocky to be pure kelpie but what an absolute absolute cutie! Looks like he is loads of fun.

My coolie pup should have standing up ears but alas hers don't, she is now nearly 7 months old so I don't hold up much hope. Her nan has "flying nun" ears so I think Latte is going to have the same although occassionally they do sit up for a short while.

OH he is adorable, I agree with the others, he definately looks more pure than cross to me.

I remember another member not too long ago asking the exact same thing about one of her kelpies. I think the dogs name was Elbie or something similiar. I think she was told it can be normal during the growing phase. I remember someone suggesting it could be teeth related/

And from memory, I think they pricked back up, not 100% sure though.

Either way though, you have one super cute puppy there. :)

Edited by meluchja

without seeing him in "dog" he does look a bit stocky to be pure kelpie but what an absolute absolute cutie! Looks like he is loads of fun.

My coolie pup should have standing up ears but alas hers don't, she is now nearly 7 months old so I don't hold up much hope. Her nan has "flying nun" ears so I think Latte is going to have the same although occassionally they do sit up for a short while.

Jack has quite a lean quite a lean body, and not stocky at all. The reason I think he is cross with a blue heeler is because his hair right down the middle of his back is darker with a few streaks of white, this patch of hair is also more coarse then the rest of his coat.

Whats everyones opinion of taping? it is something that i really dont want to do if it is unavoidable

Thanks for all great the comments too

Edited by chich

you will just have to wait and see Haha, my boy had one floppy after a while it soon went up not perfect now but its up.

eum1iw.jpg

ruby is meant to have her ears up too, and still floppy.

r06yo1.jpg

The larger the ears the less chance of them standing up all the time. If they never go up then there's a fair chance they are not going to but if they do the ear dance then its a definate maybe :rofl:

I'll go on record and say I reckon your boy's ears will eventually go up :D

At 14 months, Elbie (my Kelpie/Border collie cross) still has wonky ears like the image below:

12nov_15.jpg

Hoover's ears were 'on the rise' in that photo. His ears went up at 5 months or so, when he was desexed at 6 months they dropped again and then rose slowly again so that at 7 months, they were both prick ears again. They've been up ever since - he's 10 months old now. Here are his ears

DSC06233.jpg

ears.jpg

Although the working Kelpie 'standard' does mention prick ears, heaps of very good working Kelpies have drop ears. A colleague asked me if Hoover's ears were natural or if I'd had them cropped!! :eek:

Also, your puppy is very, very cute and I personally love flyaway wonky ears - Elbie has very expressively wonky ears :laugh:

Edited by koalathebear