Where To Buy Lenses Etc?

piper

I am looking into a few new bits and pieces (body and lens or 2). My last purchase was from bhphoto and the service and speed was excellent. Right now though I have found much better prices at dwi. Digitalrev is another I know of. Are there any other online stores I should look at? Importing obviously doesn't concern me.

Also has anyone bought a body from somewhere like dwi/digitalrev and had any hassles? I know they offer their own warranties but not sure how good they are? I am thinking I will put the Mack international warranty on whatever I get as it will still work out much cheaper than i get anywhere here.

Have bought from DWI - body and a couple of exy lenses. Also from digita rev, and HKBNS.

All delivered very quickly - would recomend them all.

Have a look see on ebay - you can see who is offering free shiping and extra warranties.

Have bought from DWI - body and a couple of exy lenses. Also from digita rev, and HKBNS.

Have a look see on ebay - you can see who is offering free shiping and extra warranties.

Yep been keeping an eye out on ebay as well. So far though dwi have the best price. Digitalrev are interesting - prices between ebay and webstore are totally different.

Is HKBNS an ebay store or webstore? Have you had any hassles with paying duty from any of them? I am thinking of splitting my order, 2 lots of postage would be cheaper than the duty.

Yep been keeping an eye out on ebay as well. So far though dwi have the best price. Digitalrev are interesting - prices between ebay and webstore are totally different.

Is HKBNS an ebay store or webstore? Have you had any hassles with paying duty from any of them? I am thinking of splitting my order, 2 lots of postage would be cheaper than the duty.

I recently bought a lens from digi rev. DWI was cheaper, but digi turned out to be cheaper due to the free delivery and I also got a three year warranty whereas DWI was only a 1 yr warranty plus postage.

I think duty is only payable if one item is more than $1000 not the whole order?

I am super impressed with DWI, I have bought a Canon 7d, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 70-200mm 2.8 and this week I got a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 and it took 3 days to arrive!

All have been great and super fast (just how I like my parcels!!!) I got a tripod from Digirev on ebay and I think that came fairly promptly with free postage (equally super!)

I bought the Tamron this week after reading a ton of reviews for Tamron vs Sigma lens and although the Tamron is about half the price of the Sigma it gets a really good review and the sharpness is aparrently better than the Sigma (Im too poor to get the Canon this time :grimace: I had a little play with my Tamron last night - it came yesterday -and it seems pretty good!)

Anyone else tried this lens?

I am super impressed with DWI, I have bought a Canon 7d, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 70-200mm 2.8 and this week I got a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 and it took 3 days to arrive!

All have been great and super fast (just how I like my parcels!!!) I got a tripod from Digirev on ebay and I think that came fairly promptly with free postage (equally super!)

I bought the Tamron this week after reading a ton of reviews for Tamron vs Sigma lens and although the Tamron is about half the price of the Sigma it gets a really good review and the sharpness is aparrently better than the Sigma (Im too poor to get the Canon this time :grimace: I had a little play with my Tamron last night - it came yesterday -and it seems pretty good!)

Anyone else tried this lens?

Phwoar! How exciting! have you taken any pics yet. Were you terrified of the 7D beast like I was (and still am sometimes :o)

I didnt buy it all at once, its been since about November last year but, yeh since I have no idea I am pretty terrified haha. Its been such crappy weather here too that I havent been able to practice much. I got some great stacked show pics with my 7d and 70-200mm at a specialty in melbourne in May but didnt have time to fiddle to get good moving shots :crazy:

I just opened it up to 2.8 and hoped for the best :dunce:

Piper I have never been charged duty with expensive DWI purchases.

I have been considering a purchase from DWI for a while, but I have been wondering about the customs duty, and if id have to pay it. Do they do a dodgy on the invoice with the value of the items?

I've been reading some threads and some people have had bad experiences with DWI and Im now im really hesitant to buy from them.

They have the 7D for $1545 currently, but I can get a non grey import one, from a local retail shop for $1898, with the canon warranty. Im probably going to go the local seller, unless DWI's price falls a fair bit more.

Edited by wagsalot

I have been considering a purchase from DWI for a while, but I have been wondering about the customs duty, and if id have to pay it. Do they do a dodgy on the invoice with the value of the items?

I've been reading some threads and some people have had bad experiences with DWI and Im now im really hesitant to buy from them.

They have the 7D for $1545 currently, but I can get a non grey import one, from a local retail shop for $1898, with the canon warranty. Im probably going to go the local seller, unless DWI's price falls a fair bit more.

I got my 7D from DWI in Nov or Dec last year and it was about $1365 plus postage. I didnt pay any duties

At that price I'd probably buy it from the shop. DWI's price doesn't include shipping and you still need to buy the CF card, and as you say, no warranty with Canon. You might be able to negotiate a card with the retailer.

Yeah Ill be buying from the local place, unless DWI's price drops alot more.

Im unsure whether to buy now at $1898 or see it the price goes down. It went up $100 a month or so back, so I don't want it to go up again.

ETA- Bugger, it just went up to 1914 over night :laugh: Maybe I should just go buy it now.

Edited by wagsalot

Yeah Ill be buying from the local place, unless DWI's price drops alot more.

Im unsure whether to buy now at $1898 or see it the price goes down. It went up $100 a month or so back, so I don't want it to go up again.

ETA- Bugger, it just went up to 1914 over night :laugh: Maybe I should just go buy it now.

Currently $1415 at DD Electronics

Well I ended up getting the body from http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au They were cheaper than anywhere else and had a 24month warranty rather than 12. I was impressed. I ordered around 10pm thursday and had it Monday morning. It actually reached Sydney on Saturday morning so had it not been the weekend it probably would have been even quicker.

I still have a lens or 2 to get but will wait til the puppies are sold first. Don't want to deplete the credit card too much as who kows what might happen over the next 6 weeks or so with them.

I ended up going for a body you can't get in Australia - the sony a580. I had Konika Minolta before and considered changing to canon but by the time I replaced everything it was going to be too costly. This way I will end up with a new body and a couple of better lenses rather than entry level lenses. So far I am impressed - the autofocus is super fast and pictures much much sharper. I just need to work out how to drive it properly.