Holistic Select Vs Proplan

Hi,

Sorry if this has been done over and over, but I have just come home from a leisurely trip to Petstock, which I usually don't have a lot of time for. I'm pretty much a 'dyed in the wool' Proplan advocate. My dogs (Boxers) do very well on it too :) . Because I had some extra time today I got to studying the ingredients' on different brands and was still very happy with my usual choice. Then I looked at the Holistic Select (Anchovy,Sardine & Salmon meal recipe) and was impressed :cool: It was quite a battle for me, as I'm very loyal to my brands, but that Holistic Select was swaying me. So I bought both :confused: !

I would like to know what experience others have had with either of these brands, particularly HS and any suggestions anyone might have. If you have made a switch recently to or from either of these brands I would be interested in hearing about it.

My dogs had always done just that bit better on Proplan (Sensitive skin or performance) then on Holistic Select. I used to rotate the products though. No major problems with the HS I just felt they had nicer coats on the Proplan.

Now I am having allergy issues with one of the dogs and she can't have Proplan at all. Am trying HS Duck again but it is looking a bit dodgy.

I think if you're happy, why change?

yeah Goldielover, that's my gut feeling too I think. I guess I just wondered if the ingredients in HS were better for the dogs. I gave a small handfull to one of my girls earlier and she LOVED it, but she loves all food :-) Might use it as a treat food.

Thanks Staff and Toller, going to check used by date now!:eek:

phew....2nd March 2012...

I have trouble getting my breeder bags of Proplan performance, which I much prefer to the adult Proplan. I usually order the breeder bags from a local pet food and accesories supplier, he doesn't stock Proplan, but he orders in breeder bags for me :D

Last time I had two vouchers and he only had one bag, by the time he EVENTUALLY ordered in the other bag, my voucher had expired so I have been going to Petstock, but he wont order in the breeder bags because I usually dont buy it from him, so he says it doesn't make him a profit. He also won't redeem vouchers, so I either have to swallow my pride and buy from him, or be much more organised than I have been and order in my food from the 1st guy weeks and weeks in advance.

It means I am still a voucher down, but what can you do?

So, the Proplan performance, which I and my dogs prefer, can be tricky to get, but it seems that HS is always available.:(

Edited by Terujo

I know what you mean about reading ingredients, i was given a bag of Proplan, and mine did well on it, less poo etc.( had previously been feeding optinum)

so then i decided to look at all the top foods and ingredients, Artemis came out my fav, but have to say, they have all been on it for 3 weeks now, and the poo's are more and not solid, and my dally is acting like he is starved all the time, picking up anything remotely edible on the walks.Yet the ingredients in it look great, i see corn is high up on the Proplan list ,so put me off.

Now i don't know what to think, Nutro was the other one i liked the look of.

Black hawk holistic

Complete & Balanced

Pet Food Only

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein…25.00% (min) Crude Fat… 14.00% (min) Crude Fibre… 4.50% (max

Crude Ash … 11.0% (max) Phosphorus(P)… 0.8%(max) Calcium (Ca)… 1.45% (min)

Moisture… 10.00% (max) INGREDIENTS

Lamb Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Oats, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols source of Vit E,

Citric Acid Rosemary extract), Brewers Dried Yeast, Flaxseed meal, Fish Meal. Canola Oil, Emu Oil Dried Carrots

Dried Kelp, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Chicory, Yucca Shidgera Extract, Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulphate

Dried Blueberries, Dandelion, Peppermint, Rosemary, Tomato Meal,Zinc Oxide, Zinc Amino Acid Chelated, Iron Sulphate,

Vitamin A-Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement. Manganous Oxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement

Copper Sulphate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Riboflavin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate,

Folic acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, D-Biotin, Calcium Iodate Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carboinate.

Hi Sheena,

No I haven't seen it locally. Who is the manufacturer? What are the first 5 or so ingredients?

You wont buy it in the shops. It comes in 20 kilo bags (tho I think maybe they are making smaller bags now). I get mine via a courier. There is a lot written about it on this health forum. My last bag cost me $80 for a 20 kilo bag & I have my 3 yo Border Collie on it plus my 12 week old BC puppy....they love it, & both dogs are looking great with plenty of energy etc. :thumbsup:

Here is the link to their website

http://www.kylainknls.com/food.htm

hahah you are in the same pickle as me i have use both the kibbles,pro plan and holistic,, i found the Pro plan S.S and Stomach one put a lot more weight on my dogs than the hol anch,sal kibble but i found both really good minus the price. they are currently on holistic and are doing really well on it and coats are doing great too.