Why Would You Not Go To Back To The Breeder.?

budgiew

Sore an advert today ;owners wanting to re home a pedigree pup with papers.Why would they not go back to the breeder ?I sent an email to the breed club so would perhaps be able to help him.Did i do the right thing?The breed was one i am very fond of and i could not help feeling very anxious about what will happen with him.I think i must be turning into a doggy person .

Embarrassment? Pride? I would feel woeful going back to Joss's breeder, like I had let her down :(

That said, it's obviously the best thing, and this dude should get over feeling bad about it for the sake of the pup.

For all you know he's tried the breeder and they have declined???

I know they do rescue and re home for this breed as it states on the club website.

the breeder or the breed club?

either way maybe an email to the seller/rehomer stating that he may find help on the breed club website?

I have read many times on breeders sites that they are the first point of call if any of their dogs need rehoming.If the breeder is unable to help surely they would refer them to the breed club.I have already emailed the breed club. I am sure if they are interested they can email the sellers of this dog.

Edited by budgiew

A few months ago I saw an advert on Gumtree to rehome a very young pedigree pup. I knew there were only 2 breeders in WA so e-mailed them both to let them know.

One of them contacted me to say thanks and they were contacting the owner as it was one of theirs.

I was more concerned about this pup getting into the wrong hands than the owners feelings, I think they'd only had the pup a few weeks.

Edited by Drumbeat

A few months ago I saw an advert on Gumtree to rehome a very young pedigree pup. I knew there were only 2 breeders in WA so e-mailed them both to let them know.

One of them contacted me to say thanks and they were contacting the owner as it was one of theirs.

I was more concerned about a female pup getting into the wrong hands than the owners feelings, I think they'd only had the pup a few weeks.

There are 7 breeders in Victoria.Do you think i should email them or leave it to the Airedale club to contact them?

Edited by budgiew

The breeder may not have the room or facility at THIS time to take a dog back. They may also be happy for the dog owner to try to rehome the dog first, and if they cannot find a home, THEN take it back..

As a breeder, I would like to be TOLD at least a person is having a problem keeping one of my pups.. I will take pups back so am not quibbling that part. But fact is, many breeders are at numbers themselves, and may not be able to physically take a dog back for any length of time. Depending on the reason for re-homing, it could be best for the pup to stay where it is for the time being.. However, if a puppy buyer can say to me, "I have found a beautiful home for Fido" I would be over the moon.. They have recognised an issue, and dealt with it responsibly, rather than dumping the problem on the RSPCA or another welfare organisation or the breeder..

If the breeder is interstate, it may be too expensive/unnecessary to return it to the breeder when a good local home can be found. Also maybe less stressful for the animal if a home is found locally. Someone has to pay for the airfare back to the breeder...

I am not saying as a breeder or this breeder is being irresponsible by not taking the pup back.. but there may be more behind the up front ad that you do not know.

Thanks mysiqview;a lot i didn't think of there.My first reaction was these people and the dog may need some help.The breed club do help with rehoming so i emailed them.Have also emailed an Airedale breeder that i think may help.Other than that i don't know if i should have not stuck my nose in so to speak;but it's done now. The Pup is 9 months old.I have been dreading the day when i see Airedale pups in the pet shop like is happening with so many other breeds these days.

Edited by budgiew

Budgiew,

The breed club may already be aware of it.. As with the breeder.. When a rehoming is going on.. everyone tends to advertise.. The more places you advertise, the better chance someone will see it and respond.

I have helped rehome dogs not bred by me as contacts I have may differ from the breeder/owner. At the end of the day.. As long as a good home is found for the animal, then it is a win/win situation no matter where it is advertised.

I have noticed of late advertising other general stuff, Gumtree is getting to be a good place to advertise... I have sold more things through gumtree, than through some other websites. Even as far as pedigree animals are concerned.. just because the BYB's may advertise somewhere, does not mean it is not a good place to advertise a pedigree animal. If the website is getting the hits.. it increases the chances of people seeing the animal and choosing a pedigre animal compared to a BYB.

Rehoming an older pup is always going to be more difficult. People are naturally going to ask themselves "what is wrong with it".. "does it chew everything, dig, escape, bark" and would they be able to handle any of the "bad" habits it has developed along the way. A 9 month old pup has lost its cute and fluffy look.. And while it may be a perfectly behaved animal, people will automatically think there is something wrong with it because of its age.

I have done this myself recently with an older dog, I did not go back to his breeder for personal reasons. He was desexed prior to rehoming and I vetted his new family very carefully before allowing him to go.

Some people are just strange.

A dog that I homed once was found wandering out in a rural area. When I contacted the person I sold it to, they got upset and angry and told me that their dog was dead and buried in their backyard. Bizarre story.

At any time they could have given the dog back to me. But some people would rather not admit they were wrong about getting a dog and will lie to cover up their own irresponsibility rather than face that.

I can well understand how breeders would be upset to see their dogs end up in less than ideal homes.Not quite the same,but i bred budgies for 35 years and always tried my best to place them in good homes.Once my daughters boss kept wanting me to sell him some birds.He was not very responsible but did have other larger birds so i gave him written instructions on the do's and don'ts of their care.He went right home and did all the wrong things;put the too young female in with large parrots with nest box;then he rang to ask why had they killed her !!!

Edited by budgiew

It's normally what I ask first, as someone who does breed rescue. I try and help other purebred dogs as well. I've come across an owner who did not want to tell the breeder his marriage had broken up, only a few months after the puppy was sold to him. Luckily I talked to the breeder who was excellent and the puppy went back.

I've also come across a number of other people who have told me they didn't like the conditions where their puppy had come from so wouldn't return them and then as others have said, there are the breeders who simply don't have room to take a dog back. There are many reasons.

I feel like tell ing the people that got their puppies from petshops to take them back, some have tried and the petshops NEVER take them back!

Some people are just strange.

A dog that I homed once was found wandering out in a rural area. When I contacted the person I sold it to, they got upset and angry and told me that their dog was dead and buried in their backyard. Bizarre story.

At any time they could have given the dog back to me. But some people would rather not admit they were wrong about getting a dog and will lie to cover up their own irresponsibility rather than face that.

So true - I have ALWAYS told me puppy buyers (and put it in writing) that I am willing to take a puppy back if they can't keep it & to PLEASE contact me first but, even so, I have had 2 dogs re-homed without my knowledge :mad One turned out ok - the other was sold to someone who thought she could use him as a stud dog. She had never had Standard Poodles, only minis or toys (not sure which) and soon discovered that an entire male Standard Poodle was quite a handful! She advertised him for sale & we were contacted by someone in Poodle rescue who saw the ad so my (then) husband bought him back. We had him neutered and re-homed him successfully.

Thanks mysiqview;a lot i didn't think of there.My first reaction was these people and the dog may need some help.The breed club do help with rehoming so i emailed them.Have also emailed an Airedale breeder that i think may help.Other than that i don't know if i should have not stuck my nose in so to speak;but it's done now. The Pup is 9 months old.I have been dreading the day when i see Airedale pups in the pet shop like is happening with so many other breeds these days.

There is a rescue in VIC as well

http://www.airedalerescue.org/

You can maybe email then a copy of the ad if you were concerned?

Edited by Cat

Have just had emails back from breeders i contacted and one has the details and are looking into it.So i hope all goes well for the pup and for the owners.There are many unexpected things happen in life and i understand that sometimes people need to rehome a pet;but one should never be afraid or ashamed to ask for help.Thats my advise anyway.