Buying A Dog And Changing Mind

pinkpuppy

PnkPuppy, you are a breeder yourself, so what would you do if it was one of your pups you had taken a deposit on :confused:

well Im not about money, money wouldnt mean anything to me, its about the welfare of my pups.....I would give them their money back, no issues, and im pretty sure thats inline with australia's refund policies.

Well money does mean something to you, because the deposit you paid made you think about your purchase.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO handing over $1500 without doing research on the breed first or at least asking the questions of the breeder who's dog it is is an issue.

Rather than bring it up on a forum, give the breeder a call and have a chat.

ETA $1500 is a very large desposit! :eek:

I had researched the breed, the breeder had only told me one issue the dog had but have read there are quite a few more issues I should be concerned about.

The dog is $2,500 and i was certain i wanted the dog at the time so I didnt see an issue giving $1500, but now im feeling worried....im only human it happens

Hang on... you did your research, then the breeder openly disclosed one issue the dog had, and yet you are now looking at more issues that the breed has that you didn't find in your initial research? What makes you think that this dog has any of those issues?

I see you missed answering my question PP

if you talk to the breeder, maybe your issue will be solved... it's pretty hard to make a judgement when there are so many holes.

I don't think that the breeder is obliged to give you the deposit back. They might have turned away another home that has now found a dog elsewhere.

well i think not giving back $1500 would be very unfair. and as people have said above, fine I could always take the dog then and re-sell on the trading post....

Charming. You asked the bloody question. Some will refund. Some will not. What do you think a deposit is for? You put a $40k deposit on a house and just change your mind, good luck getting that back.

Agreeing with JulesP here! I'm not sure if you fully understand the purpose of a deposit...

Still, if it were me and I found out about all this I would want my puppy back quick smart, so would happily pay back the deposit just so that my pup was back in safe hands. Reselling on Gumtree; what a thing to say. :mad:

Well from what you've posted it is worrying that you are a breeder yourself.

I can only hope that you put a deposit on this dog as a pet dog not a breeding dog as you clearly haven't done any research into the breed, or your research consists of googling...

Surely it would be better to talk to the breeder about your concerns, or some other people experienced in the breed or a vet experienced with the breed?

The whole point of a deposit is so that the seller is not out of poacket if you suddenly decide not to buy.

Perhaps there was a lot of interest in this dog which was why the deposit was so high?

I don't think that the breeder is obliged to give you the deposit back. They might have turned away another home that has now found a dog elsewhere.

well i think not giving back $1500 would be very unfair. and as people have said above, fine I could always take the dog then and re-sell on the trading post....

So you get the dog and re-sell it on....what health history will you pass on to the new owners? Also will it be desexed due to the health issues it MAY have?

A proper discussion with the breeder should be the first thing you do.....

From the sounds of it (from what others have mentioned) you have put a deposit down on a breeding adult, even though you where told it was a carrier. You then went home and looked up what this meant (as you had no idea to start with) and now want your money back. Carriers can be bred from as long as you breed them to a clear, have all the pups DNA tested and let people know if they are buying a clear pup or a carrier (especially if selling to a show/breed home). If it is only for a pet, then being a carrier does not matter.

As a breeder I would give back some of your deposit, I would keep some for readvertising as I am sure the breeder has turned people away since you have put your deposit down.

Maybe next time you should really research a breed before rushing in :mad

Leanne

I would think you would get most of your deposit back if not all..

but if you want people's help on a forum you need to be more specific about the health issues and breed of dog you are talking about....there are a lot of breeders on here who will be more than happy to clairfy health issue concerns for you if you provide more information...

:)

In my book tyrekickers dont get their money back.

You have wasted the breeders time and possibly turned away other people looking at the dog.

May be lesson learnt, research before u look at a dog next time, seems like you were utterly unprepared in relation to the breed you are choosing to breed.