Four People Bitten By Dogs In Sydney

Maxiewolf

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8262149

A girl and three adults have been bitten by two dogs that had been left tied up outside a Sydney shopping centre.

The 10-year-old girl may need stitches to her elbow after being bitten, police said.

Her mother and two men, aged 48 and 39, were also bitten by the brown pit bulls but only suffered superficial bite wounds. All were being treated at hospital.

Police believe the dogs became loose after a man tied them up and went inside a shopping centre in Fairfield West on Thursday night.

He returned a short time later and regained control of the dogs but left.

It should be made Illegal to leave your dog unattended in public. I mean isnt it anyway? doesnt this count as a dog not being under effective control? tied up or not if your not around how do you have control over your dog? (and if they cant go that far then ALL unattended dogs no matter the breed or size should wear a muzzle by law.. and then you can bet alot less people would leave their dogs unattended cos they don't have a muzzle handy! And yes I realise then this leaves the dog vulnerable should some other WANDERING unattended dog come up and attempt to bite them etc etc.. its an insane cycle )

You cant leave your child tied to a post or in a car.

And I personally wouldn't take the breed with a grain of salt... if it isnt fluffy and bites someone... it must be a pit bull. *eyeroll*

(ETA Formatted properly)

Edited by Maxiewolf

It is illegal to leave a dog tied up and unattended in a public place in SA, NT and NSW as far as I know.

Loads of people still walk their dog to the local shops and tie it up while they go in. I'd rather hand my money to a stranger and ask them to make the purchase for me, or yell my order through the door... pretty sure the bakery would cope.

PS the news article is completely vague on details like were these people trying to pet or provoke the dogs, and how did anyone know they were "brown pitbulls" and not boxers or something else.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

It is illegal to leave a dog tied up and unattended in a public place in SA, NT and NSW as far as I know.

Loads of people still walk their dog to the local shops and tie it up while they go in. I'd rather hand my money to a stranger and ask them to make the purchase for me, or yell my order through the door... pretty sure the bakery would cope.

PS the news article is completely vague on details like were these people trying to pet or provoke the dogs, and how did anyone know they were "brown pitbulls" and not boxers or something else.

"Brown" pitbull would have to be the vaguest description ive ever heard. and a panic mongering media description more like it. And It will have everyone running around looking for something that probably doesnt exist. "Brown crossbred" would have been better or Just Brown Dogs....

I think more advertising needs to be done to let people know its not OKAY anymore to leave your dog unattended... I would say that so many ignorant dog owners dont "think" that its actually a Law.

ETA: Actually when i read the first line first thought that went through my head was - 10 Year old child, goes up to dogs tied up outside shopping center... neither her nor parents have any dog sence and didnt think about patting un attended dogs or telling child NOT to go near them. (And... dogs loose? sooo where they loose or where they tied up? or did they get loose when they attacked :confused: ) verrry vague.

Edited by Maxiewolf

The 'superficial' bites looked nasty on the news just now, right through clothing and with a fair bit of blood. Poor kid and mum, terrifying for them.

I didnt see the news, did they get any CCTV footage of the owner? any chance of catching him or they still looking?

I wrote into their 'soapbox' in regards to them 'identifying' the dogs as brown pitbulls.

Unless enough people write in though it will be taken with a grain of salt. I would suggest everyone here post a message via their soapbox in regards to the inaccuracy of their identification of breed and the sensationalism it creates.

I would be very surprised if indeed they were 'brown pitbulls'.

how is it we still have Pit Bulls in Australia.....aren't they banned and any that were here needed to be desexed?

Yes I know...people don't know the breeds and some lie on the paperwork......

how is it we still have Pit Bulls in Australia.....aren't they banned and any that were here needed to be desexed?

Also I think that people call anything that has a staffy head, a pitbull now.

I wonder if the girl went up to the dogs...and if so what were the parents doing in letting her? Yeah the owner shouldn't have left them there, but I was taught at a young age never to approach a dog I didn't know, unless the owner was there and gave me permission to pet them. Regardless of breed.

Everytime I read the word "pitbull" in one of these stories my heart just sinks and then I get mad because who identified the dogs? I bet it was the people who got bitten and they would have no clue on earth. Like someone just said anything with a staffy shaped head is now called a pitbull when in reality they could be any Stafford breed, Mastiff cross breed, Bull Arab etc etc or just any unknown mix of breeds who has a big head. People should keep their mouths shut and just say we got bitten by a medium sized, brown dog....not so hard is it.

I once had someone who wanted to breed Pitbulls come up and ask me if my female pitbull was desexed.....my dog is a Bullmastiff X Ridgie and looks nothing like a pitbull.

Not in the NT and ACT.

In NSW a dog is considered under effective control if it's tied to a pole. Icanr link te relevant section as I'm on my iPhone but have a read of the companion animals act 1998. Ridiculous I know.

As for the breed ID. All I can do is laugh or I'd cry. So over it.

Everytime I read the word "pitbull" in one of these stories my heart just sinks and then I get mad because who identified the dogs? I bet it was the people who got bitten and they would have no clue on earth. Like someone just said anything with a staffy shaped head is now called a pitbull when in reality they could be any Stafford breed, Mastiff cross breed, Bull Arab etc etc or just any unknown mix of breeds who has a big head. People should keep their mouths shut and just say we got bitten by a medium sized, brown dog....not so hard is it.

I once had someone who wanted to breed Pitbulls come up and ask me if my female pitbull was desexed.....my dog is a Bullmastiff X Ridgie and looks nothing like a pitbull.

I once had someone pull up in a car and ask to use one of my males for a mating. He then proceeded to tell me my dogs 'were a funny colour, and had different/wrong heads to his.' HELLO, who has the kennel of pedigree champion show dogs? The General Public are very ignorant! Another reason I do not breed anymore.

The import of them is banned, approx 15 years ago. So really how many 'pure bred' Pit Bulls are left? As even then many were not the real thing.

In NSW a dog is considered under effective control if it's tied to a pole

Not according to the act it isn't. Leash has to be attached to dog and held by the owner or responsible person.

13 Responsibilities while dog in public place

(1) A dog that is in a public place must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held by (or secured to) the person.

In NSW a dog is considered under effective control if it's tied to a pole

Not according to the act it isn't. Leash has to be attached to dog and held by the owner or responsible person.

(1) A dog that is in a public place must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held by (or secured to) the person.

Yes it is, accortding to section 13, subsection (5), subpara (f) of the Companion Animals Act which provides exclusions to the subsection (1) you just quoted:

(5) This section does not apply to:...

...(f) a dog secured in a cage or vehicle or tethered to a fixed object or structure.

I've put the relevant section in bold.

Edited by Odin-Genie

(f) a dog secured in a cage or vehicle or tethered to a fixed object or structure.

Note: Just because a dog is not on a lead in an off-leash area, or is secured in a cage or vehicle or is tethered to a fixed object or structure, does not mean that an offence under section 16 is not committed if the dog rushes at, attacks, bites, harasses or chases any person or animal, whether or not any injury is caused.

Always read the fine print.

So maybe you can tie a dog to a pole but it's still an offence if it bites someone. And if the dog escaped the tether, that's still an offence too - ie unsecured dog.

(f) a dog secured in a cage or vehicle or tethered to a fixed object or structure.

Note: Just because a dog is not on a lead in an off-leash area, or is secured in a cage or vehicle or is tethered to a fixed object or structure, does not mean that an offence under section 16 is not committed if the dog rushes at, attacks, bites, harasses or chases any person or animal, whether or not any injury is caused.

Always read the fine print.

So maybe you can tie a dog to a pole but it's still an offence if it bites someone. And if the dog escaped the tether, that's still an offence too - ie unsecured dog.

That note applies to section 16 which relates to dog attacks. Even if your dog is on leash (which is considered effective control) you will still be liable if your dog bites someone else. However, for the purposes of this Act, a tethered dog is considered under effective control.

The import of them is banned, approx 15 years ago. So really how many 'pure bred' Pit Bulls are left? As even then many were not the real thing.

Enough to keep them going, If people think they'll be non left they can keep on dreaming! The breed will NOT die out much to the dismay of many folks!They are a restricted breed and as mentioned earlier still very legal In 2 states