The Dog Show Catalogue

darwinroyal

As this discussion goes I can the need in the foreseeable future for both on line and print catalogues.

A smaller fee for on line and the club would only need to print the amount needed for the show.

Then?????? what happens to the catalogers who make a living from this. Lets face it the same amount of work is needed

weather it is on line or print.

I think both options are great and agree with oakway here.

my experience is obedience related and although it's written that your correct email address must be supplied you would be suprised the number of people who when collecting their numbers expect to get a complimentry catalogue as they state they haven't recieved it by email- I keep a record of those emails that bounce back now but often people do forget to print the emailed version and then don't want to pay.

Our current system puts the onus back on the exhibitor (which is as it should be) - we have a central website (here: http://www.agilitytrials.info/index.htm ) and once you submit your entry online you are told that the catalogue will come on line approx X days before the trial for you to download. I've yet to have a problem. Also, it is maintained so that trial secretaries can post judge updates or cancelled trials etc and it lists upcoming trials and other info.

ETA: Just realised I haven't even glanced at the Dogs Vic gazette for ages as not many of the obedience/agility trials are advertised (only the big ones or interstate) so I guess clubs are saving money there.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And with smart phones, if you only have one dog entered and don't really need a whole catalogue you don't even have to print it out!

ETA: You can produce a password protected PDF document too if you want to charge a small fee but it might not be worth the hassle - I suspect that's what the agility clubs found out but I don't know for sure.

ETA (again): Maybe a smart phone app :D

Edited by The Spotted Devil

How much is an average show catalogue?

From reading some of the posts I have a feeling it may priced differently in southern states than they are here.

I buy a catalogue at every show.

I was wondering the same thing :)

I buy a catalogue at every show, too.

In Vic catalogues are usually $2.50 for a group and $5.00 for a full. As with everything there are exceptions.

And people won't pay this? :confused: They'd rather steal? :confused:

peaceful, it comes back to who is going to pay the cataloguer for the 8 to 10 hours of work?

A $13 entry should cover their fee & if their fee is too much then the committee should make the decision not to pay them for doing it and take up the slack as we did when I was on committee's. 10 + years of donated time etc etc etc like alot of people here I'm sure.

I love the online catalogues and as someone's already said the agility trials have been using them for years!

I don't mind paying a smaller fee for an o/line cat either although I do wonder how it would be policed who downloads the catalogue if a fee was charged? What would stop freeloaders from downloading it?

Use a log in system - only those who paid online fee can access - not hard to set up :).

In Vic catalogues are usually $2.50 for a group and $5.00 for a full. As with everything there are exceptions.

And people won't pay this? :confused: They'd rather steal? :confused:

I should add "stealers", "borrow" more then steal.

But you do get ...

"Stealer" - Steal a look at the "cat" often several times a day.

"Real Stealers" - They take it and it's never seen it again.

"Pissed Off" - They take it and you have to hunt them down to get it back.

"WTF" - These are people you don't even know, yet they help themselves to your "cat".

peaceful, it comes back to who is going to pay the cataloguer for the 8 to 10 hours of work?

A $13 entry should cover their fee & if their fee is too much then the committee should make the decision not to pay them for doing it and take up the slack as we did when I was on committee's. 10 + years of donated time etc etc etc like alot of people here I'm sure.

Agree with this. If all shows had the cheaper group catalogues available I would buy them which I do when they have them but not all shows have this on offer.

If the entries can be all computerised with a good program like the dog show super's use overseas it wouldn't take much extra time to set up the catalogues and its an easy thing to make the downloadable cat's password protected.

Nice to see that some people care about the older generation on pensions that can't afford to buy the catalogues but still love to show as their chosen hobby :(

OK, not complaining about catalogues in WA now! We don't have the option of group catalogues... ours are $2.50 for normal shows and around $5.50 for the Royal :) I always buy one :thumbsup:

Agility catalogues are (usually) available online here through one of the yahoo email lists. No fee for them :) But then for the last few years the catalogue has been included in entries even if you got a print copy. A few Clubs now are starting to charge $1, pre-order only, if you want a print version.

i love the idea of a printable version of a cat!!

i think include a fee into the entries and post the cat the day/night before the show to be downloaded and printed... if people want to download it wihtou paying thats fine the cost is covered by those entered... and it would only be a few dollars...

i know all the show shedules are saved in my iphone app ibook... so i could do the same for a catalogue and not have to print it therfore helping the environment as well!! win win!!

and yes some people will get the cat and not be entered so wont pay but seriously its a few bucks i think ill get over it bahaha maybe keep a few printed at the secs office for people to buy on the day if wanted just in case??