Intestinal Blockage?

SpotTheDog

No pukes overnight. Is a bit weak and a little trembly this morning, but just had breakfast so we'll see if that stays down. Has gone back to bed. Doubt we're out of the woods, whatever this is - if not for the anti-emetic I'd say the last two meals would be decorating the carpet.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Persephone - no idea. Sent me away with lectade after giving anti emetic, also gave vit B shot, orders to do the obs/hydration work myself really. I have a good boss - am home with gus today all day. Tomorrow, if today goes to plan, I'll go to work, but will drop home mid morning, lunchtime and mid arvo to check on him, and leave him in his bed otherwise.

He's kept breakfast down so far and had lectade drink with a little chicken stock. Appearance better already - stark ribby look has eased.

Good Luck! When Dante had his blockage he was in obvious discomfort, in the end he was vomiting what smelt like he was pooing out of his mouth, it was horrendous.

This.

Good luck to Gus xoxo

I would however be demanding xrays with one of my dogs or a known garbage disposal.

A thorough abdominal check didn't show up my boys blockage and it was half a tennis ball so not something small.

Good Luck! When Dante had his blockage he was in obvious discomfort, in the end he was vomiting what smelt like he was pooing out of his mouth, it was horrendous.

This.

Good luck to Gus xoxo

I would however be demanding xrays with one of my dogs or a known garbage disposal.

A thorough abdominal check didn't show up my boys blockage and it was half a tennis ball so not something small.

Same as above.

The only reason the vet opened my boy up so fast was because he has a history of eating things and I knew what had happened, thankfully me vet trusted me on it.

Hope your boy feels much better soon.

Cowan has a partial blockage that was not picked up by examination or x-ray even using the beads to add contrast. Because it was only a partial blockage it causes symptoms very similar to what you have stated but it happened on and off for weeks. Hope it is nothing serious but don't rule it out

Spot if his stomach is still tender maybe hold off on all food for 24 hours and only give lectade (no stock). It is an electrolyte balance and will be kinder on his tummy than trying to put food in when it is still roiling. Yes he will lose a little more weight but in the long term it is kinder on him that if he continually feels ill. Dogs can last on lectade for a few days before you need to intro food again.

Looks like it was a rousing bout of good old gastro. No more vomits, Gus is still on a bland 'poached chicken n rice' diet. His weight has improved and his spirits are definitely up. His energy is still a little off but every morning or evening you can see a marked improvement over the previous morning or evening. Still keeping an eye to see if vomiting starts over. Next step is gradual introduction of normal food.

Speaking of normal food, anyone got any suggestions of how to get weight on and keep it on a skinny dog? Being a bull arab type bitsa, Gus has a front end like a staffy with a long muzzle, and a backend like a greyhound. He's thick around the shoulders and deep in the chest, and comes right back up into his rear legs and whippy tail.

I know the convention for good weight on a dog is usually 'feel the ribs but not see them' but Gus's ribs are quite often visible through his skin - he's not that well padded across the ribs or spine. I wonder if the vet's reaction to using an anti-emetic and getting food and fluid into him was a reaction to his overall ribby, hippy, spiny appearance.

I've been feeding him Royal Canin as per the instructions on the packet. I used to feed him mostly raw for the first year of his life but he was a slow eater and would prefer to bury and hide much of his dinner, to the detriment of the yard. (Interestingly, it's 10 weeks since moving from mostly raw to mostly kibble - never had a stomach upset on raw and 10 weeks into kibble we have gastro - makes me think about the 'PH and health of the gut' arguments for raw.) He's not emaciated or anything, but my feeling is he's on the skinny side of svelte and I'd love to put a bit more cover on that frame!

I thought his age - 14 months or so - could be behind his high metabolism and persisting on the side of skinny. Any suggestions? He's fed once a day - I'd go to twice if anyone thought it'd help.

I've been feeding him Royal Canin as per the instructions on the packet. I used to feed him mostly raw for the first year of his life but he was a slow eater and would prefer to bury and hide much of his dinner, to the detriment of the yard. (Interestingly, it's 10 weeks since moving from mostly raw to mostly kibble - never had a stomach upset on raw and 10 weeks into kibble we have gastro - makes me think about the 'PH and health of the gut' arguments for raw.) He's not emaciated or anything, but my feeling is he's on the skinny side of svelte and I'd love to put a bit more cover on that frame!

I thought his age - 14 months or so - could be behind his high metabolism and persisting on the side of skinny. Any suggestions? He's fed once a day - I'd go to twice if anyone thought it'd help.

Two meals a day would help.. so would switching to a "junior" or "perfomance" formuala with a higher fat content.

Glad he's on the improve ! :)

i will suggest feeding him 2 or 3 X a day ... he may only like to eat small amounts- so frequency may help him .

Go back to raw, once he's well, maybe... and include stuff like ox cheek, lamb flap and pork .. which is a bit fattier ?

Speaking of normal food, anyone got any suggestions of how to get weight on and keep it on a skinny dog? Being a bull arab type bitsa, Gus has a front end like a staffy with a long muzzle, and a backend like a greyhound. He's thick around the shoulders and deep in the chest, and comes right back up into his rear legs and whippy tail.

Yep, I'd go with what the others said and feed twice a day, and a premium pefrormance food.

My boy lost about 10kgs after GDV, he looked terrible :(

I couldn't feed him much, so he went onto many meals a day (for the first few weeks) of a premium performance food. He's on RC 4800. It's a high energy food, so there's no need to feed him huge amounts (which is a good thing for a deep-chested dog).

He's doing great on it, 6 weeks later and he's almost back to normal :)

I've got him on Royal Canin Maxi Junior, which I started him on at 12 months old and 27kgs. I might go back to raw, two meals a day and feed him indoors so he can't bury it.

Tell me this - I have reservations about premium performance foods because while I want Gus to build his weight up, I don't want him to have so much energy he's ricocheting off the walls of the house. The attention and exercise Gus gets at the moment is as much as I can manage in my current situation (we play ball in the yard of my house on 1/3 acre in the mornings for about half an hour to 45 mins while I have my coffee and in the evening we go pound the pavement around the block for about 45 mins to an hour on leash. Weekends and good weather we go up Monument hill and have a swim in the dam in that reserve.) I want to feed him to build his weight up, but I don't want to create a situation where he's on such a high protein food that he's manic, I can't keep up, and I end up with a frustrated, zany dog pestering my cats and destroying my house because he's full of energy and hasn't worked it off and I can't keep up with him.

Am I thinking about it the wrong way?

Tell me this - I have reservations about premium performance foods because while I want Gus to build his weight up, I don't want him to have so much energy he's ricocheting off the walls of the house.

I want to feed him to build his weight up, but I don't want to create a situation where he's on such a high protein food that he's manic, I can't keep up, and I end up with a frustrated, zany dog pestering my cats and destroying my house because he's full of energy and hasn't worked it off and I can't keep up with him.

Am I thinking about it the wrong way?

Yeah, a bit :)

Premium performance is higher (denser?) in calories.

Say you need to feed Gus 3 cups of food a day, you may only need to feed two cups of a performance food.

If his excersise levels mean you need to feed him 6 cups of 'normal' food, there may be no way on earth he'd digest all that, so 4 cups of PP food would be more manageable.

My boy gets about 6 or 8 cups of RC 4800 a day, divided into two feeds. If I was to try to get weight on him with 'normal' food, he'd need 10 to 12 cups! His stomach couldn't handle that amount.

Post GDV surgery, he needed to be kept quiet for 4 weeks (he also did some hip damage at the same time :rolleyes: ) His diet didn't change his energy levels and he's still not as fit as he was before...........we're building up slowly :)