Renal Failure

My little girl Isabella suddenly decided not to eat it was 4 days Took her to the vet and the vet said she has end stage renal failure

What I cannot understand is how come I didnt see any signs that she was sick Any one can you please help me to understand what I missed

I am heart broken

My little girl Isabella suddenly decided not to eat it was 4 days Took her to the vet and the vet said she has end stage renal failure

What I cannot understand is how come I didnt see any signs that she was sick Any one can you please help me to understand what I missed

I am heart broken

So sorry for your loss

Rest Easy Isabella

So sorry to hear that you lost your girl.

I used to believe that Renal failure was very rare in Newfoundlands, but after a lovely girl we bred suddenly died after 4 days of being sick, from renal failure, I researched and found quite a few that have had this, mainly overseas, but a handful here too.

With Darcy, there was no signs either, beyond the 4 days when she presented as being ill. She went off her food and the vet ran tests and found a massive infection. Darcy was put on an IV drip and given antibiotics, but they then discovered that her kidneys had shut down. She was also fighting a respitory infection and just could not fight.

So, although you feel bad, there may have been no signs at all that she had renal problems.

How old was Isabella?

If you want to e-mail me with any questions, my e-mail is [email protected]

I am so sorry for your loss....How very sad :( Another Angel for Rainbowbridge

I know that in human Renal failure can suddenly occur, with out warning and any previous symptoms

Edited by newfsie

The bodys organs have a huge amount of reserve, and often diseases don't show until about 70% of the tissue is affected. So often the signs of disease will come on quickly and there isn't so much you can do to reverse it.

I can't quite figure out how to put that more eloquently, but maybe Rappie or someone will come and clarify.

Rest easy beautiful girl. x

Edited by Flick_Mac

As others have said sometimes acute renal failure can occur without any of the normal symptoms so don't beat yourself up. Really very sorry to hear about your girl, RIP Isabella.

Hi Newfoundlandandus, So sorry for the sudden loss of your Isabella. We had the same thing happen to our 8 yr old Chinese Crested Powder Puff, Benny, last year. He went off his food for a couple of days, which was very unlike him, but other than that he seemed fine, he ate a little bit the next night, and we thought, that's good, but the next morning he was really not himself, so we took him to the vet and had bloods done, and the vet came back and said he was right off the scale and was in acute renal failure. Nothing could have prepared us for this, as he was still a young dog, and never in our wildest thoughts did we suspect something as serious as this.