Uk Charity Limits Care To 1 Pedigree Pet Per Family

shortstep

I have never heard of this organzation before.

Just some highlights.

http://www.pdsa.org.uk/pdsa-vet-care/changes-to-service#the-policy-explained

Changes To PDSA PetAid Hospital Service

PDSA exists to help owners when they are most in need. PDSA is no longer able to support people who actively acquire multiple pedigree pets without being able to commit to their long-term health and welfare needs. Sadly, pedigree pets often need high levels of veterinary care due to inherited illnesses and breed related conditions as a result of irresponsible breeding associated with certain pedigree matings. The high level of demand this inevitably puts on our veterinary service results in a disproportionate allocation of funding, which is neither fair or appropriate.

Designer dogs are not classed as pedigrees. However, pet owners deliberately breeding from any species for profit, and without considering the health and wellbeing of the pet, would be stopped from using PDSA services. This practice is entirely at odds with the provision of our charitable veterinary service, which is funded completely by public support.

A decision based on veterinary evidence and supporter feedback

91% of PDSA donors and supporters said that we are right to be concerned about the numbers and types of pets some people are acquiring and presenting for charitable treatment, of which 88% said they would support the change in our policy.

My words, no where do they say what their evidence was. But their charity they can do what they want I suppose.

The bad press on pedigree dogs just keeps comeing and now they are pointing it towards any dog that even looks like a breed. If anybody thinks this is only going to affect breeds and breeders with the most noticable problems, they need to wake up. This is going to take out all dog breeds.

If we do not start to address these welfare issues now, real or not in your opinion, there is not going to be any way to turn this around.

Edited by shortstep

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Willow

I thought pedigree pets had less chance of requiring vet treatment due to health tested parents? :-/

Perhaps breeders of purebreds in the UK are percieved as being less careful with their breeding, or are not ethical? Who knows?

I guess what they are saying if you have the money to buy more than one pedigree dog then you should also be able to cover insurance or vet treatment yourself and not rely on a charity to cover the costs.

That's what I got from it - stop the people buying multiple dogs because they know they can rely on handouts.

I thought pedigree pets had less chance of requiring vet treatment due to health tested parents? :-/

Perhaps breeders of purebreds in the UK are percieved as being less careful with their breeding, or are not ethical? Who knows?

This is the way I see it:

With pedigree dogs, we are aware of what breeds can have what issues, therefore where possible, we test to try and eliminate / minimise issues. With a cross bred dog, there is no "history", so you have no clue to what potential issues an individual dog may have. Because there are no "cross -bred health tests", I guess Joe Public thinks this means there are no potential health issues.

Noone says your BYB Dane x Mastiff is a large breed therefore has a pretty high chance of having HD. I think just because we have tried to be responsible and educate people with the health issues we know of, it has become the focus for pedigree dogs. Because we don't know what a crossbreed could potentially have, noone talks about it, therefore there mustn't be any problems.

I know what I mean, but it's not coming out quite how I want it to. :o

I guess what they are saying if you have the money to buy more than one pedigree dog then you should also be able to cover insurance or vet treatment yourself and not rely on a charity to cover the costs.

They will treat multiple pets/dogs as long as they are not pedigree dogs.

The said why

Sadly, pedigree pets often need high levels of veterinary care due to inherited illnesses and breed related conditions as a result of irresponsible breeding associated with certain pedigree matings.

That's what I got from it - stop the people buying multiple dogs because they know they can rely on handouts.

and yet is doesn't stop people having multiple mutts that may require treatment, although it is possibly now encoraging more BYB so people can afford vet treatments that have now been witheld from them?

My guess is that there were people abusing the system, and so they had to make this change.

There are some breeders producing pups that nearly all need surgical treatment to live healthy lives. For instance, some Shar Pei lines produce dogs with eyelid problems that need to be corrected. When people buy the pup they need to be able to afford the surgery.

I think its really sad that some purebreed breeders have caused such a concern.

I think it is really sad that the huge numbers of Breeders that breed healthy sound dogs are being ignored.

The numbers of unhealthy or unsound mutts and mongrels that I see far outnumber the ailing purebreds.

The pedigree breeding system in the UK is different to Australia. You don't have to be 'registered' as you are here, from what I understand.

I agree, lets just keeping saying that this has nothing at all to do with Australian pedigree dogs and sooner or later someone might believe it.

The pedigree breeding system in the UK is different to Australia. You don't have to be 'registered' as you are here, from what I understand.

I agree, lets just keeping saying that this has nothing at all to do with Australian pedigree dogs and sooner or later someone might believe it.

No let's make it an even playing field, how about making the "producers" of the thousands of unsound and unhealthy mutts responsible for their stuff ups too, and while we are at it acknowledge that there are many Breeders of registered purebred dogs that are doing the right thing. I'm getting pretty damn tired of people blinking and looking at me like I have two heads when I tell them that my registered purebred dogs are living healthy and happy lives into their mid to late teens. Yeah I know how can they they are purebred, right. :shrug:

I don't know any Breeder in my circle that denies that there are some problems, but they all say the same, acknowledge that it is not across the board.

Edited by Crisovar

No let's make it an even playing field, how about making the "producers" of the thousands of unsound and unhealthy mutts responsible for their stuff ups too, and while we are at it acknowledge that there are many Breeders of registered purebred dogs that are doing the right thing. I'm getting pretty damn tired of people blinking and looking at me like I have two heads when I tell them that my registered purebred dogs are living healthy and happy lives into their mid to late teens. Yeah I know how can they they are purebred, right. :shrug:

I don't know any Breeder in my circle that denies that there are some problems, but they all say the same, acknowledge that it is not across the board.

I think we can establish that those folks who are not saying what you want them to say, are not going to start saying it because you want them too.

It seems to me if a 'group' of breeders want to hold themselves out as 'different' from the crowd of breeders you are blaming for the problems, then they are the ones that have to do something that defines them as 'different'.

Unfortunatly the folks you want to highlight your group as being 'different', can not see this clear cut distinction between the 'differents' and the not differents. Perhaps this is because the 'differents' are not the sort of 'different' they are actually looking for? Just a thought.

Edited by shortstep

It seems to me if a 'group' of breeders want to hold themselves out as 'different' from the crowd of breeders you are blaming for the problems, then they are the ones that have to do something that defines them as 'different'.

Unfortunatly the folks you want to highlight your group as being 'different', can not see this clear cut distinction between the 'differents' and the not differents. Perhaps this is because the 'differents' are not the sort of 'different' they are actually looking for? Just a thought.

And a rather confusing thought. I hate this "all pure breeds have issues" crap. And it IS crap.

What inheritable conditions do Whippets have? Where are the legions of this breed that suffer from inherited health problems and cost their owners a motza in health bills?? Beats the hell out of me.

Why ARE poodles so long lived if they are plagued by health issues???

I hate generalisations when they are inaccurate. The idea that all breeders should "own up" to the notion that the dogs they breed are walking congenital disaster areas is a nonsense.

And the sooner people stop lumping all breeds together on this issue, the better.

And a rather confusing thought. I hate this "all pure breeds have issues" crap. And it IS crap.

What inheritable conditions do Whippets have? Where are the legions of this breed that suffer from inherited health problems and cost their owners a motza in health bills?? Beats the hell out of me.

Why ARE poodles so long lived if they are plagued by health issues???

I hate generalisations when they are inaccurate. The idea that all breeders should "own up" to the notion that the dogs they breed are walking congenital disaster areas is a nonsense.

And the sooner people stop lumping all breeds together on this issue, the better.

Ok, well you tell them to not do that, to leave the poodles and the whippets in the kennel club alone. Certainly we can say 'Not in my breed'. We will see if that helps to solve the problem.

Ok, well you tell them to not do that, to leave the poodles and the whippets in the kennel club alone. Certainly we can say 'Not in my breed'. We will see if that helps to solve the problem.

What problem? If there isn't a problem in every breed then there simply isn't an all breed issue to address. :confused:

What is the problem that requires all breeders to acknowledge that all breeders have to do something? You're not making yourself very clear.

Whippet breeders can't do anything about the breed standard or practices for other breeds. What is it that you would have them accept blame for and take action on??? Sorry but you're not making a whole lot of sense to me.