Calling A New Puppy The Same Name As A Dog That Has Passed Away.

Baileys mum

Hi everyone,

I know someone that has recently had to PTS their much loved dog of 13 years...now 2 months later they have a new puppy of the same breed, & have decided to call her the exact same name of the dog that has passed away.These people have said that they just love the name & would continue to name all their dogs in the future this name.

Just wondering what others think of this...have you or would you give a new puppy the same name of beloved dog that has gone to rainbow bridge?

Personally I would never do it...to me I think it would be disrepecting the dog that has passed away, & I would think that the new puppy deserves its own name & identity.

I know dogs don't care what they are called,& its probably really no big deal & a form of humanising to think that I'm disrespecting the memory of the dog that's passed away....

but that's just how I feel about it. :)

So how does everyone else feel about this?

Edited by Baileys mum

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, maybe it brings them comfort.

I like certain names and would use them again however my only concern for 'me' is that there is a set of expectations/history that comes with a name and that could be passed onto the new dog, mind you we do that regardless of a name anyway sometimes.

I never would but do now people who have but they have done it for the wrong reasons not because they like the name .

The worse part is when ever they talk about the dog we have to ask are we talking about the dead one or the new one .

For me new pup ,new name,new personality & new memories

I never would but do now people who have but they have done it for the wrong reasons not because they like the name .

The worse part is when ever they talk about the dog we have to ask are we talking about the dead one or the new one .

Exactly how I feel showdog. :)

I wouldnt do it but if someone is attached to a name and a memory, so be it, as long as they change their expectations and not cling on to the hope the dog is going to be the same just because of it.

To me that's just creepy.

Twice we have reused a name when we've had to rehome an older pup and really liked the name, whether or not the new owners have changed the dog's name, but both times the pup with the re-used name hasn't turned out either so we don't do that any more - but naming a dog after a dead one? :eek:

Edited by Sandra777

:laugh: My OHs pop does this. Nearly every dog he'sowned has been nemed Sam/Samuel. I think its funny and pretty cute.

Personally i wouldn't do it, not sure why but i think its more of each pet 'owning' their name. I've had some pets with awesome name i would love to use again but just don't cooz it'd be weird.

ETA: I have friends whose dog Spike died and wen they got another it looked very similar to Spike,so they called it Like, coz it was Like Spike :laugh:

Edited by Roxy Lady

I never could but I know some people do.

As long as they relise it isn't the same dog and never will be then I don't have a problem with it.

I think my mum named one of her cats after her sisters long dead cat years ago before I was born. But Piewacket is an awesome name so I can see why you'd want it again.

Edited by B-Q

I never could but I know some people do.

As long as they relise it isn't the same dog and never will be then I don't have a problem with it.

I have a friend in another country who has called every dog he has owned 'Johnny'. I asked him why and he said it was only because he thought that was a typically western name. I thought that was pretty cute.

Maybe years down the track ... but definately not the next dog.

We have had a rescue rottie called Kane (a couple of years ago - for about a week before he died of Parvo) ... and our youngest is Kaine - but I made sure the spelling atleast was different.

This :thumbsup:

Yep - this too.

All my animals are named their names because of the way they came to me - Zero for example is named Zero because a) it comes out of my favourite movie and b)the woman who caught him described him as a ghost dog because she would see him stealing vegetables out of her garden from her kitchen window but by the time she could get outside, he would be gone (the woman had 6 foot colourbond fencing with no gaps in it!).

Somehow I think the circumstances behind Zero being named Zero will never be replicated so I will never have another named Zero. I don't think i could name a dog something similar either. There will be no "hero" or "Zorro" at my house :laugh:

I have a friend who has had three dogs all the same breed, all the same sex, all the same colour and all the same name. I think it is really odd. They now have a new dog and it is a different breed and name.

I have a friend who has had three dogs all the same breed, all the same sex, all the same colour and all the same name. I think it is really odd. They now have a new dog and it is a different breed and name.

That is weird grace...so when they call the name they would get all 3 dogs attention at the same time. :laugh:

:laugh: My OHs pop does this. Nearly every dog he'sowned has been nemed Sam/Samuel. I think its funny and pretty cute.

Personally i wouldn't do it, not sure why but i think its more of each pet 'owning' their name. I've had some pets with awesome name i would love to use again but just don't cooz it'd be weird.

ETA: I have friends whose dog Spike died and wen they got another it looked very similar to Spike,so they called it Like, coz it was Like Spike :laugh:

That's cute Roxy lady...the new dog was like Spike so they called it Like, love it!! :laugh:

I personally wouldn't. As mentioned before a name is special, it's the very first thing you give to your dog and it lasts past their life time! :D

I don't have kids yet but one day if I have a son I would like to name him after my grandfathers name. In instances like this I guess it could work with dogs too, if enough time had passed and it was named in honour of with no expectations placed on new dog. For me enough time would probably be decades :laugh:

Names are a very personal thing to some and don't really matter at all to others, each to their own

I do like the 'Spike' and 'Like' that is cute :)

Edited by Sezz

When I was a kid, my father ran over my first dog, who was named Jenny. When we got a new dog, I called her Jenny 2. As an adult I wouldn't do it but as a kid, it seemed the right thing to do.

As a young child, my brother named his new cat 'Sam' after the previous cat. They were different gender/appearance/personality and my mother refers to one as 'black Sam' to distinguish when we reminisce.

Then again, we have a very repetitive naming ritual for children in this family so reusing a name for a pet would hardly raise an eyebrow.

It's not something I would personally do but to each their own.

My Grandparents did this. They had a Lhasa Apso named William (Willy for short) that sadly got run over at 2 years old, they got a new Lhasa, similar colour and named him William, I think for them it was a way of moving on after losing the first Willy so tragically. Willy the 2nd passed on now also along with my Grandfather who he was very attached too.

Grandma now has a 4/5 yo Lhasa named Toby.