Rally-o

:thumbsup: way to go team Brookie and bedazzled - It's fun, isn't it.

Had to laugh at the round the back RAT/finish. I'd been faithfully teaching 'no blind cross' to Rory - so when I first tried to teach him the round the back, he looked horrified - I can't do that Mum - might get in trouble. I had to teach it to him separately - it took a little while, but he's more or less got it now. :crossfingers:

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 x border collies with RA titles (the NZKC recognised rally titles in January 2011) and we just had our first go at Rally Excellent. LOVED it, going to be a real challenge to get 100. 9 dogs attempted it and none qualified. Both my girls got to station 9 with no errors and it was "Halt, stand, down" and one just looked at me on the command to stand and the other lay down :) ah well. The club running it gave prizes to 3rd anyway which I think was a great idea to help keep up motivation. Both my dogs did "moving stand and walk around" and "back up 3 paces" perfectly. It was also nice to run 2 classes each with them in a day (Adv B and Exc A). My middle BC of the 3 is a 9 year old pet-only girl with health issues (epilepsy, progressive blindness) and I was so happy with her as she now has her RN title, qualifying 3 from 3 and so happy and waggy when working. This is why i love rally, it is suitable for all ages and breeds of dogs and most of all it is a fun sport and very supportive!

That's great to hear CaseyKay - we find the same thing down here. :D We're not official yet, but a couple of clubs are running club tests, and mock trials. My BC boy has just graduated out of Novice in both club and mock trials - and has played in Advanced and Excellent in training.

I'm interested to know how you;'e trained "back up 3 paces" - souinds like what you did has worked beautifully.

Tassie I taught them "back up" first when facing me (I walked towards them). Then moved onto standing beside me and walking back but up against a fence. Also a tip I was given was when you start don't change direction abruptly and back up slowly or else with the BC type dog you tend to get leaping backwards rather than walking backwards!

Watching some dogs on the weekend they may have gotten "back up" confused with "call front" as when the owner started going back the dog swung in towards the front of the handler (hind end out).

"Moving stand" was hardest to teach my old girl (11 years and competed in obedience for several years) she seemed to have a well ingrained automatic sit. We could do a moving down no problem but the moving stand took ages (months actually) so I was rapt she got it on the day! My youngest dog who has never done obedience I taught moving stand easily as she doesn't seem to have a "default position".

Thanks so much CaseyKay. Yes - I can see how they could confuse it with call front - although hopefully that won't be too much a problem for us, since I'm at the stage of trying to do the advanced/ex call front with no step back. (He hasn't quite got the butt swinging all the way on that one - might be time for some more perch work :rofl: .)

Haven't had a problem with the moving stand, since he's a conformation dog as well as doing obedience, so he's used to a moving stand on a verbal and signal cue.

:rofl: about the leaping backwards rather than walking backwards. Yes - still working on the finish left geing done is a somewhat less exuberant fashion :laugh: - but the way he throws himself round makes me laugh :laugh: .

We're just loving the way Rally encourages us to have lots of fun with our dogs, and give them lots of feedback, while at the same time, paying attnetion to precision - which can only help in the standard obedience ring.

I would have to say that events, like all others, will be published in the Gazette, however I have not heard of any at this time. I am hopeful that this changes in the next few months. As for training, start bugging your local clubs...they wont offer it if no one asks about it.

RallyValley, that might be the target by your local clubs to actually have trials in place. I don't think that many clubs will be ready to go for the January 1st date (I do know of one that will be ready!!)

Remember, clubs need to get it sorted, submit their schedule to their state control body for approval and have it published in their gazette...it does take time. We're still training judges as well and this is VERY important that we get that right before they arm themselves with clipboards and meet their teams in trials.

RallyValley, that might be the target by your local clubs to actually have trials in place. I don't think that many clubs will be ready to go for the January 1st date (I do know of one that will be ready!!)

:thumbsup: :D :D me too! :D

Remember, clubs need to get it sorted, submit their schedule to their state control body for approval and have it published in their gazette...it does take time. We're still training judges as well and this is VERY important that we get that right before they arm themselves with clipboards and meet their teams in trials.

I did suspect that might be the case ;) Glad it is, but a bit disappointed we won't have Rally in January in WA.

Our club had its first Rally session last night. I wouldn't call in training due to the fact that there are still lots of things we need to work out, more just a bit of a play, but I have to say it was great fun. :thumbsup:Everyone had a go and everyone had a ball. I can see this will be a great training tool and will help put a bit of fun into the routine training nights.

Looking forward to learning more on this sport :D