Rally-o

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok delayed reaction on my part but :happydance::happydance2::cheer: to rally being official from 2012. :laugh: I knew there was a reason I hadn't started obedience trialling yet, rally will ease me into it, :D and I might even give Sophie a go too.

Going to a seminar on the 20th. The more you tube clips I see on this discipline, the more I think it will be great for my dog. She's a great little heeling dog but hasn't started her Ob trialling career because she's very wary of humans & SFE is taking a lot of time to build her confidence. Getting into Rally-O will build her experience in ring craft without a judge coming any where near her. :thumbsup:

As a professional dog trainer and competitor in numerous dog sports, I am enthusiastic and eager to learn more and to get involved in rally myself as well as to offer lessons

I still need to claify some things

1-which signs people find most difficult to train and why

2-what are the methods people are finding most effective for training for the difficult signs

3-where does one begin to perform the exercise. Some signs seem to dicate starting a few paces BEFORE the sign,

What is the point of view on where to start

I think the most difficult ones to train depend on the dog. I found for Zero, the toughest one is the "back up 3 steps, dog stays in heel position" sign but he's incredibly uncoordinated so that doesn't surprise me. I have heard of people who have dogs who do it easily. I know people who have problems doing a moving stand - Z's is solid and always has been.

Techincally the hardest ones should be the ones that are only used in the Excellent class but as i said, i think it's up to the individual dog.

As for the where to perform the exercise, it depends on the sign. For example, a left or right turn is performed before the sign, but a moving side step is after or you risk hitting the sign.

:laugh: Too hot down here to put Rory in the mock Rally trial held at lunch break in an am/pm obedience trial, and it was a Novice course setup, so I took the plunge and put my agility girl Kirra in - she's the one who doesn't 'believe' in formal obedience :laugh: although she does play around with HTM. She had a ball, and pulled a pass (after a quick bit of training a couple of the moves she hadn't done before - and she gave me her high 10 that she does at the end of each agility run - so I think that means she had a great time :rofl: .

I'm running rally-O classes on Sunday morning's at Geelong. It is a way to show off Rally-O to those who would like to know what it's all about or want to actually do the course with their dog.

Sunday week ago a club member came in with her very big dog who glomps (?) around very slowly. The handler walked the course with her dog and the dog actually put a pep in it's step. What a great indication that Rally-O is a good thing.

This morning the same handler took another dog on the course. Wow, it was so good to see.

Two newbies came and had a go, I think they will be back the next time I set up a practice course.

I'm looking forward to the Rally-O Rules workshop to be held on the 20th Nov at Bulla. It will be another chance to go through the rules and keep me up to date with what's going on.

Thanks Anglesun for your enthusiastic introduction to Rally-O

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in training for Rally-O, Berwick Obedience Dog Club have started training. A Rally-O Course is set up each week for people to have a go at. We have a few junior handlers who are thinking this is the sport for them. Such a great stepping stone to normal Obedience Trialling.

We have been seting up Novice and Advanced courses ar Friends of Obedience (FOO) for the past 4 weeks

It took us a couple of weeks to get it running smoothly as we are all learning as we go

Last week, I and one other volunteer, put 27 people, through an 16 Exercise, Advanced course

I am absolutely, totally, ethrilled to have the opportunity, of working with such a diverse group of talented, trainers and handlers, from beginners to very experienced & accomplished dogs and handlers, in this new fun sport!

What a privilage !

As far as learning myself, I was on my own, till recently, and had never even SEEN Rally

It is amazing, what one can accomplish, when one does not know what one can not do. LOL!

Rally is a such fun game to play with your dog!

I love, that one can continually encourage and praise

I have now taught my dogs, 90% of the exercises, for Novice, Advanced and Excellent, using games and food and verbal and physical praise.

The backing exercise, was the most challenging,

We are not perfect yet, but we are getting there

The people who come to me for Obedience lessons will now benefit, from me being my own, "guinea pig"

I'm loving what I've seen of it so far via You Tube. I'm working with my dog & she's really doing well IMO because she' a great little worker & loves to heel. It's quite a distance for me to go to KCC park, so I'm hoping there'll be something a bit closer & on my side of town that I can get to in the not too distant future.

I am going to the seminar tomorrow at Bulla but can't find the times and details I carefully wrote down

Does anyone have them

thanks

10 am at 5 Uniting Lane, Bulla. It is also called the Calabrian Club.

thanks-i had a terrible feeling that it was at 9am. do you have a finishing time?

This is the email that was sent to me .....

ALL INTERESTED MEMBERS - PRACTICAL DAY

OTEC has also arranged for Ms Lowe to assist with the practical training day that will be held on Sunday 20th November 2011 commencing at 10.00 a.m.

Please note there will be no catering. Please note that this practical day will be held at BULLA not KCC Park as advised via VicDog magazine due to the Park not being available to us on our chosen date.

The format for the 20th November is as follows:-

* Course design

* Signs

* Practical session

o Novice

o Advanced

o Excellent

Please note that to become a foundation Rally Obedience judge as set by the ANKC you :-

* Must be a current ANKC Obedience Judge

* Must complete an open book examination either before or after attending a workshop on Rally O.

* Attend a Workshop that must included the following:-

o Course design

o Understanding the different levels and stations used in each class

o Understanding of the different signs used in each class

o Understanding of the scoring and score sheets.

o Setting up of the ring

o Steward's duties

o Ring and Trial procedures

Please go and check out this thread as it is to do with the Rally-O which is a few lines(topic thread) down on this page (yay found it and did a thread bump)

Rally O Introductory / Practical Training Day

Please remember that no dogs other those that was organised by the people running the talk is to be there.

this is also discussed in the Dog Sport section..

Edited by kallistar

WOW- I participated in a mock comp tonight and managed a score of 90! I however didn't realise how hard it is to count to one, nor how hard it is to keep signs on my left (accounting for 5 lost points lmao). The dogs loved it so I can see it being a permanent sporting addition for them :thumbsup:

I will be entering here in sydney on the 7th and 28th!! Thanks to everyone who got the ball rolling for us with the sport!!!