Ticks

Yep, Advantix is highly toxic to cats. I warn every single client who purchases it, but you'd be surprised how often we see cats with permethrin toxicity. People don't always pay attention to the packaging.

Be careful using 'Advantix' on your dog if you have cats. My friend put this on her little Maltese about 2 weeks ago and her cat came into contact with it and it poisoned her and she went into a coma. She spent a few days at the vets and they almost lost her but is fine now.

I have never heard of this happening before other than this but will be cautious with what we use on our dog.

It is part of the warning on the packet/leaflet contained within the packet.. The product is deadly to cats.

Well there you go! Georgie didn't apply it to her cat but it did come into contact. Silly move on her part if it is a warning on the packet!

I think from memory, there is a bit on the packaging warning to keep wrapper, packaging etc away from cats and to wash your hands thoroughly after applying the product to the dog if you have cats. I think also on the leaflet/packaging (it has been a while since I have read it) saying to keep cats away from the dog for a proscribed period of time.

I know of MANY places who sell it, either ask/tell the purchaser if 1) they have a cat/s and 2) that it is deadly to cats. I just looked up a couple of one line vet places.. Two did not have warnings.. but a third one did:

Not for use in Cats. Do not apply to cats or animals other than dogs. Do not permit cats to actively groom or have close physical contact with a recently treated dog. If applied to a cat or ingested by a cat this product may have serious harmful effects.

Just goes to show... Read the label!

Also, can anyone tell me - in defined tick areas is there less chance of dogs picking up ticks in well mown non treed areas? ie in large open parkland with no trees or long grass or are ticks just as bad in the open areas too?

Edited by Scales of Justice

Also, can anyone tell me - in defined tick areas is there less chance of dogs picking up ticks in well mown non treed areas? ie in large open parkland with no trees or long grass or are ticks just as bad in the open areas too?

My dog picks them up from just around the lawn...I do have a garden though. I think they are worse around coastal areas but they are still there & bad in summer in the inland area where we live, which is probably about 30 klm inland as they crow flys. The only thing that gives us a bit of a break here, is the frosts. I have a friend who lives a bit further inland, & she doesn't get ticks, so ....don't know...sorry

Sure it would be a safer bet to keep out of long grass & heavily treed areas but having said that I have had dogs get ticks on them

when they haven't been out of our yard. If it is a windy day ticks can be blown around. I just check over mine religiously, everyday

without fail. You can never be too careful with these hidious pests.